CDZ Generation Gap

Sonny Clark

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2014
Gadsden Alabama
It's been my observation over the past ten years or so, that we have a generation gap when it comes to politics, and government in general. Most citizens younger than 45 see our government and politics entirely different than those 45 and older. The younger generation usually sees our government and politics based on their view and understanding beginning with the Bush I presidency, and those older seem to view and understand our government and politics based on America post WWII. Rarely do I see the younger generation considering the roots of our present day problems as originating post WW II.

For example, I rarely hear mention of the Viet Nam war when the ills of senseless wars are discussed by the younger generation. Another example would be the loss of many industries that's at the root of our present day jobs market woes, as well as wage dissatisfaction. The younger generation doesn't seem to see anything prior to the early 90's, thus the reason for their misplaced blame and criticism of our most recent administrations in Washington.

My question is, "what effect does the generation gap play in elections"?

The younger adults who are stuck in the '90's probably aren't going to vote. They think there's no point to voting. I wonder if the insurgence of illegal aliens is an attempt to cover the potential loss of votes. These kids don't see any positive change after elections. The next presidential election will make a difference. Should Trump manage to win, he will have the young people. They understand him.

My question is, "What effect does education have in the generation gap?" Previous generations combined what they were taught in school with their real life experiences in order to determine fact and fiction. The newer generation has little or no real world experience with which to evaluate the propaganda they are taught in public schools and universities.

I would say a significant amount in a myriad of ways. A lot of this is sweeping generalizations.

With the younger generations, many of whom are still missing that piece of the brain that deals with time and consequences, they aren't even able to recognize their own mortality. Everybody is going to be a rock star, be fabulously wealthy, the world is always going to revolve around them and they will be dead before....50. And we know that there is this mentality of it won't happen to me and/or it won't be around when I am old when we deal with the issues of social security.

You can always tell when they get smited with some type of history class in college or start reading into history because everything becomes a ZOMG moment and there is rage and anger.

ZOMG, the US backed a coup to put that butcher Pinochet in power. Why are you not yelling? Did you know this?

A huge impact has been the older generations passing away. Unless you like to read and/or listen there is no connection to WWII or post WWII for many under 45. It's not in their line of vision. The grandfathers/great grandfathers are now Viet Nam vets. The father's would have been involved in the Gulf War. Those over 45 are more likely to have memories and personnel connections.

The younger adults who are stuck in the '90's probably aren't going to vote. They think there's no point to voting. I wonder if the insurgence of illegal aliens is an attempt to cover the potential loss of votes. These kids don't see any positive change after elections. The next presidential election will make a difference. Should Trump manage to win, he will have the young people. They understand him.
this is a catch 22. people don't vote because one vote really makes no difference, but if everyone who thought that voted, it would make a difference. I am not yet old enough to vote, but I do plan on voting because of this principle. the only tangible reason to vote is on principle. also, I doubt that many people will actually vote for trump. he would probably be worse than bush.

first I would like to say this: not all people younger than 45 are shortsighted and superficially analytical. in my experience, the age group that is the least so is 35-50. it is true that many younger people often lack experience, but older people have their own problems: they are often closed-minded. both are crippling, but can be overcome with intelligent analysis of history and current events.

in addition, all our problems did not originate post WWI. you can trace them back as far as you want, even as far as the development of agriculture, if you want, but I believe that the best place to start was the rocky transition from the colonial eratot eh modern era.

I agree to an extent. If we wanted to we absolutely could trace them back as far as we wanted and I think the generation gap is often skillfully played. The needs of someone that is 22 are different then the needs of someone that is in their seventies.

They wouldn't vote, much less listen to an elderly Trump..

The Anti-Establishment mentality beginning in the 1960's unlearned the lessons of the previous 50 years and replaced them with shallow slogans elevating immediate gratification over longer term considerations. The echoes of that misbegotten movement can still be heard in today's political discourse, which is almost entirely devoid of principled debate.

Despite our technological advances, we seem doomed to repeat the mistakes of the last 100 years. Given the pretensions of our so-called leaders (feuhrers in German), we are just around the corner from another world war.

Last edited:
It's been my observation over the past ten years or so, that we have a generation gap when it comes to politics, and government in general. Most citizens younger than 45 see our government and politics entirely different than those 45 and older. The younger generation usually sees our government and politics based on their view and understanding beginning with the Bush I presidency, and those older seem to view and understand our government and politics based on America post WWII. Rarely do I see the younger generation considering the roots of our present day problems as originating post WW II.

For example, I rarely hear mention of the Viet Nam war when the ills of senseless wars are discussed by the younger generation. Another example would be the loss of many industries that's at the root of our present day jobs market woes, as well as wage dissatisfaction. The younger generation doesn't seem to see anything prior to the early 90's, thus the reason for their misplaced blame and criticism of our most recent administrations in Washington.

The gap is between those who worked for a living, and these idiots who think they deserve a "living wage" because their parents didn't abort them.

Forum List

Back