General Petraeus supports closing Gitmo and ending torture

My point is that the OP is dreaming if he thinks Gen. Petraeus is going to say anything to cross his Commander In Chief.

That's not a personal attack.

Partisanship was the left using Petraeus as a punching bag when they had political oppositon to the surge, only to fall all over him now when he supports Obama, which is his job, on closing Guantanamo.

I think the great wizard of Obama has the right idea, close Gitmo and then move them to the same conditions some were else. Without the water.

This will help the Far, far away Left never never have to say the word Gitmo again and Obama still gets the same Bush national security benefits.

Obama is a marketing guru.

Last edited:
The answers Petrayus gave are a little center road.

General Petrayus along with John McCain will state continually that they do not believe in torture. It's true--you don't torture detainees. This is something we can all agree upon. Torturing someone who KNOWS nothing & is simply an enemy combatant does not deliver information. WE ALL AGREE ON THIS POINT.

But, even John McCain & General Petrayous will AGREE that if you have captured someone like the mastermind of the 9/11 attack--who YOU know has critical information regarding planned future attacks & who is not talking. They BOTH agree that harsher interrogation measures, including waterboarding be used on these individuals to obtain the information to save innocent lives.

The left wing media in this country never asks that question: It's just do you believe in torture? Fox News does--& when they do you get the answer I described above from both John McCain & General Petrayous. Terrorist circumstances dictate their answers.

I will remind everyone here that only 3 terrorists, one of them being the mastermind of the 9/11 attacks was waterboarded. As far a closing GITMO--& his comments--I don't know that other countries would respect us more--by putting these detainees in much worse conditions--such as our federal prisons.

Last edited:
As you know, General, the debate over Guantanamo and enhanced interrogation techniques has become "Topic A" in Washington. In your view, does the closing of "Gitmo" and the abandonment of those techniques complicate the U.S. mission in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in the overall struggle against violent transnational extremist groups or does it help it?

Petraeus: I think, on balance, that those moves help it. In fact, I have long been on record as having testified and also in helping write doctrine for interrogation techniques that are completely in line with the Geneva Convention. And as a division commander in Iraq in the early days, we put out guidance very early on to make sure that our soldiers, in fact, knew that we needed to stay within those guidelines.

With respect to Guantanamo, I think that the closure in a responsible manner, obviously one that is certainly being worked out now by the Department of Justice -- I talked to the attorney general the other day [and] they have a very intensive effort ongoing to determine, indeed, what to do with the detainees who are left, how to deal with them in a legal way, and if continued incarceration is necessary -- again, how to take that forward.

But doing that in a responsible manner, I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees.
Transcript: RFE/RL Interviews U.S. Central Command Chief, General David Petraeus - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

You were waving the General "Betrayus" flag a few years ago fag ....... :rolleyes:

How about how you guys throw everyone who distanced themselves from Bush under the bus, until the election of course, and then all of you distanced yourselves from bush.

And now I notice you guys are all back on the Bush/Cheney bandwaggon. Your leaders are Cheney and Rush. Certainly isn't Michael Steele or Powell.

And notice the only black Republicans are ones that are never elected? They are appointees. Tokens. Condy, Powell, Steele. I want to see one of them win an election in a red state.

You also threw Scott McClellen under the bus when he spoke out.

Anyways, Betrayus is a yes man. He does whatever the president tells him to do. He worked for Bush and now he works for Obama.

But, you will see that every argument we made against torture and GITMO, will all be vindicated. People will look back and say, "yea, torture was wrong, I can't believe we did that, Bush was bad, and omg, they did lie us into the Iraq war with money.

Just chaulk that up as another time in history that the SuperPower of the world started a war for profit.

Or do you still think we went in because of WMD's? Because there are still Republicans than have the balls to continue telling that tale.

And why didn't Bush torture the facts out of Saddam? If torture worked so well, and we were torturing before we captured Saddam, why didn't we find those WMD's?

Because you are a fool, and you vote for greedy rich people who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Stupid.

As you know, General, the debate over Guantanamo and enhanced interrogation techniques has become "Topic A" in Washington. In your view, does the closing of "Gitmo" and the abandonment of those techniques complicate the U.S. mission in Iraq, Afghanistan, and in the overall struggle against violent transnational extremist groups or does it help it?

Petraeus: I think, on balance, that those moves help it. In fact, I have long been on record as having testified and also in helping write doctrine for interrogation techniques that are completely in line with the Geneva Convention. And as a division commander in Iraq in the early days, we put out guidance very early on to make sure that our soldiers, in fact, knew that we needed to stay within those guidelines.

With respect to Guantanamo, I think that the closure in a responsible manner, obviously one that is certainly being worked out now by the Department of Justice -- I talked to the attorney general the other day [and] they have a very intensive effort ongoing to determine, indeed, what to do with the detainees who are left, how to deal with them in a legal way, and if continued incarceration is necessary -- again, how to take that forward.

But doing that in a responsible manner, I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees.
Transcript: RFE/RL Interviews U.S. Central Command Chief, General David Petraeus - Radio Free Europe / Radio Liberty © 2009

You were waving the General "Betrayus" flag a few years ago fag ....... :rolleyes:

How about how you guys throw everyone who distanced themselves from Bush under the bus, until the election of course, and then all of you distanced yourselves from bush.

And now I notice you guys are all back on the Bush/Cheney bandwaggon. Your leaders are Cheney and Rush. Certainly isn't Michael Steele or Powell.

And notice the only black Republicans are ones that are never elected? They are appointees. Tokens. Condy, Powell, Steele. I want to see one of them win an election in a red state.

Anyways, Betrayus is a yes man. He does whatever the president tells him to do. He worked for Bush and now he works for Obama.

But, you will see that every argument we made against torture and GITMO, will all be vindicated. People will look back and say, "yea, torture was wrong, I can't believe we did that, Bush was bad, and omg, they did lie us into the Iraq war with money.

Just chaulk that up as another time in history that the SuperPower of the world started a war for profit.

Or do you still think we went in because of WMD's? Because there are still Republicans than have the balls to continue telling that tale.

And why didn't Bush torture the facts out of Saddam? If torture worked so well, and we were torturing before we captured Saddam, why didn't we find those WMD's?

Because you are a fool, and you vote for greedy rich people who wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire. Stupid.

You do realise that if these detainees are put in our federal prisons--they will have to be kept in 24/7 ISOLATION--& away from the general AMERICAN prison population--don't you? Otherwise they will make the next "girlfriend" on the cell block--& or be beaten & tortured on a daily basis, & probably many of them killed.

You & your party of liberal left wing nut cases--are not going to dictate to me being a conservative "who" my leaders are either.

Colin Powell is NOT a republican--nor do I consider him my "leader." He fully supported Barack Obama & voted for him--even when our side had a "moderate" republican in John McCain he could have voted for. Powell's opinions about where the Republican party should be are about as significant as a mosquito on an elephants ass.

Rush Limbaugh is a radio talk show host--not a politician. I agree he is shrill & arrogant at times--but has never caved in on his ideology of conservatism. "I don't listen to him, nor is he my leader."

The Republican leaders who best represent me are--Sarah Palin & Newt Gingrich. Funny--how you don't want to mention their names? I believe it is because you & your left wing nut case friends are scared to death of both of them.

I think the great wizard of Obama has the right idea, close Gitmo and then move them to the same conditions some were else. Without the water.

This will help the Far, far away Left never never have to say the word Gitmo again and Obama still gets the same Bush national security benefits.

You are very close to the most important point of all.

We are in a political war, not just a military one. The only people who can defeat the terrorists are the Muslims themselves. The election of Obama has given Pakistan the political cover to go after the Taliban. It would have been politically impossible for the government of Pakistan to do this if Bush were still president.

Obama's election helped America's image all around the world and this translates to political power. Teddy Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." The best example of this was the pirate hostage rescue. Obama didn't say a word about the kidnapping, he just let the professionals do their work. This is what happens when you have a smart president instead of a stupid one.

Way to go off on some wild tangent yet again bozo.

I will say however that you're right, Jeffrey Immelt, George Soros, Franklin Raines, Peter Lewis, etc ..... are pieces of shit that are only out for themselves.......:eusa_whistle:

Obama's election helped America's image all around the world and this translates to political power.

Ahmadinejad and Kim Jong-Il say you're full of shit ..........

We are in a political war, not just a military one. The only people who can defeat the terrorists are the Muslims themselves. The election of Obama has given Pakistan the political cover to go after the Taliban. It would have been politically impossible for the government of Pakistan to do this if Bush were still president.

Obama's election helped America's image all around the world and this translates to political power. Teddy Roosevelt said, "Speak softly and carry a big stick." The best example of this was the pirate hostage rescue. Obama didn't say a word about the kidnapping, he just let the professionals do their work. This is what happens when you have a smart president instead of a stupid one.

So the World just loves us now--he.he.he.

Yeah-like-we saw that with N.K. blowing off a nuclear bomb & Iran firing a missle up the messiah's ass over the weekend--LOL

To add--60 thousand Germans screaming Obama's name-didn't help them decide to take some of these GITMO detainess--they turned Obama down FLAT.

It appears that your theory of the world-is-liking us more--just because someone named Barack Husien Obama is in the oval office-just doesn't hold water.

"With respect to Guantanamo," Petraeus added, "I think that the closure in a responsible manner, obviously one that is certainly being worked out now by the Department of Justice -- I talked to the Attorney General the other day [and] they have a very intensive effort ongoing to determine, indeed, what to do with the detainees who are left, how to deal with them in a legal way, and if continued incarceration is necessary -- again, how to take that forward. But doing that in a responsible manner, I think, sends an important message to the world, as does the commitment of the United States to observe the Geneva Convention when it comes to the treatment of detainees."

Just for the record.

My point is that the OP is dreaming if he thinks Gen. Petraeus is going to say anything to cross his Commander In Chief.

That's not a personal attack.

Partisanship was the left using Petraeus as a punching bag when they had political oppositon to the surge, only to fall all over him now when he supports Obama, which is his job, on closing Guantanamo.

This:

Don't hold your breath for Gen. Petraeus to diss the Boy King in public.

is a personal attack.

Again, the OP is Patraeus personal opinion, is it not? IF he has permission to do an interview, he is allowed to express his own beliefs. He can do so without disrespecting Obama.

If he is asked about current policy THEN he is required to state what that policy is, but does not have to offer a personal opinion on it.

So let's cut to the chase here ... you have a problem with closing GTMO, but I'm not seeing a reason from you other than taking a partisan side.

As I stated in my first response, the partisan part's over. The left has made GTMO an international dirty word and ensured it is synonymous with "torture." The detainees need to be moved, if for no other reason than to make the left start all over demonizing wherever it is they are moved to.

Too bad that's about all there is to him.

Take your meds, idiot.

You do realise that if these detainees are put in our federal prisons--they will have to be kept in 24/7 ISOLATION--& away from the general AMERICAN prison population--don't you? Otherwise they will make the next "girlfriend" on the cell block--& or be beaten & tortured on a daily basis, & probably many of them killed.

You have a point?:lol:

Yeah-like-we saw that with N.K. blowing off a nuclear bomb & Iran firing a missle up the messiah's ass over the weekend--LOL

To add--60 thousand Germans screaming Obama's name-didn't help them decide to take some of these GITMO detainess--they turned Obama down FLAT.

It appears that your theory of the world-is-liking us more--just because someone named Barack Husien Obama is in the oval office-just doesn't hold water.

Wrong.

Gaining a consensus is what leadership is all about.

Wrong.

Gaining a consensus is what leadership is all about.

Incorrect. Leading is what leadership is about. Kissing ass is to gain a consensus is NOT tenet of leadership.

Forum List

Back