General Motors Board of Directors Levies Fines Against Toyota

You mean Daniel Akerson of the Carlyle Group, David Bonderman of TPG Capital, Robert Krebs (Rail magnate), Patricia Russo (former CEO of Lucent/Alcatel) and Ed Whitacre (former CEO of AT&T) have the authority to fine Toyota?

That's news to me.

Sock puppets.

Obama and the Dems give them their marching orders.

democrats with union help tried deperately to discredit toyota. The american people realizing just how honest democrats are, assisted toyota in a 40% sales gain.

We must not be watching the same show here. The ads I heard that were trying to take advantage of Toyota's situation were Nissan, Kia, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, Lexus and all of the other car makers. I didn't hear one ad from the Democrats or the unions???

I am curious....

If the Toyotas were so bad... where have all the stories gone about their problems? For a couple weeks, thats all we heard.. now the stories have disappeared?

Sock puppets.

Obama and the Dems give them their marching orders.

democrats with union help tried deperately to discredit toyota. The american people realizing just how honest democrats are, assisted toyota in a 40% sales gain.

We must not be watching the same show here. The ads I heard that were trying to take advantage of Toyota's situation were Nissan, Kia, GM, Ford, Chrysler, Mercedes, Lexus and all of the other car makers. I didn't hear one ad from the Democrats or the unions???

GM was giving extra money for Toyota tradeins.

Sounds to me like the fine was so big because they hid the problem for 4 months. The memos seemed to indicate they were happy about the delay. The fine isn't really the problem here. The fact it will be used as supporting evidence in civil suits is the real issue.

FOXNews.com - Federal Government Seeking Maximum $16M Penalty Against Toyota

If I were Toyota, I would refuse to pay this and tell them to shove it.

[TIC] Do you think one day, many years from now you will defend Al Qaeda motors too? I am reading about WWII and I find it rather ironic that the corporate planes and ships that bombed Pearl Harbor and sank our ships are now driving the roads of America with American flags attached. Maybe it is just me but when a corporation screws up they need to be held accountable. I do realize that the corporatist right wing worships at the church of business, but still seems rather un-American to me. And not only un-American but irresponsible when you consider the deaths this poor product has caused.

"The 20th century has been characterized by three developments of great political importance: The growth of democracy, the growth of corporate power, and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy." Alex Carey

I am curious....

If the Toyotas were so bad... where have all the stories gone about their problems? For a couple weeks, thats all we heard.. now the stories have disappeared?

Shall we assume you believe that it was the Democrats and unions that 'orchestrated' all of the problems with Toyota's cars?

Even these?

allAfrica.com: Kenya: Toyota Recall Comes to Country - 570 Cars Affected

Saudi consumers association calls for Toyota recall - Business Intelligence Middle East - bi-me.com - News, analysis, reports

Massive recall likely to undermine Chinese consumers' trust in Toyota brand

Have you seen your black helicopter for today?

GM was giving extra money for Toyota tradeins.

And how was that trying to discredit Toyota? Did GM orchestrate the gas pedal or brake prroblems? Or did they simply try to take advantage of what was already happening? If so, in the rest of America, taking advantage of your competition's problems is called a 'good business decision'.

Sounds to me like the fine was so big because they hid the problem for 4 months. The memos seemed to indicate they were happy about the delay. The fine isn't really the problem here. The fact it will be used as supporting evidence in civil suits is the real issue.

Do you see that as a problem?

Toyota is #17 on the list of auto company complaints.

Where is all the outrage over consumer complaints for #s 1 - 16?

So, let me get this straight...

Toyota seriously endangered people's lives, and they knew about it, and didn't fix it.

Now the government is levying a $16M fine, a drop in the bucket, mind you, and you're complaining about it, because a few hundred jobs may be lost?

Seriously? What the fuck?

How about the fact that my son might have been killed in a car crash due to that Toyota SNAFU?

Are you really implying that Toyota just be let go, with no consequences, after criminally endangering the lives of millions of Americans?

Man, somebody fed you people a stupid-assed talking point today.

You all need to go back to Townhall.com and grab a new one, cause this one ain't cutting it.

So, let me get this straight...

Toyota seriously endangered people's lives, and they knew about it, and didn't fix it.

Now the government is levying a $16M fine, a drop in the bucket, mind you, and you're complaining about it, because a few hundred jobs may be lost?

Seriously? What the fuck?

How about the fact that my son might have been killed in a car crash due to that Toyota SNAFU?

Are you really implying that Toyota just be let go, with no consequences, after criminally endangering the lives of millions of Americans?

So let me get this straight - you expect the government to drive people into unemployment and ruin a business because something that might have happened, but in reality did not?

*nice*

So let me get this straight - you expect the government to drive people into unemployment and ruin a business because something that might have happened, but in reality did not?

*nice*

There were in fact incidents, which is how the story came to light in the first place.

But let me ask you this:

If there is no penalty, then what happens next time Toyota discovers a malfunction like this?

Do you think they're more or less likely to fix it?

Oh, and as for "American Job Losses"?

What makes you all think that if Toyota makes cuts, that other American car companies won't pick up the slack and create new jobs themselves? Hmm?

[

There were in fact incidents, which is how the story came to light in the first place.

But let me ask you this:

If there is no penalty, then what happens next time Toyota discovers a malfunction like this?

Do you think they're more or less likely to fix it?

Toyota has already suffered a far worse penalty in terms of the Public Witch Hunt and PR fall out that our politicians have inflicted upon them. The process stinks. They have been singled out unlike their competitors (some of whom are owned by the government).

I'd call this "penalty" extortion.

Oh, and as for "American Job Losses"?

What makes you all think that if Toyota makes cuts, that other American car companies won't pick up the slack and create new jobs themselves? Hmm?

And now we see the agenda.

Toyota is not unionized. The attacks on Toyota are politically motivated to harm a non-unionized company (which produced better products) in favor of the UAW-Government Motors.

Toyota is not unionized. The attacks on Toyota are politically motivated to harm a non-unionized company (which produced better products) in favor of the UAW-Government Motors.

The attacks are no more organized than the media frenzy which got every shark attack on prime time news a few years back was an organized crusade against sharks.

I will reluctantly admit I don't believe Toyota makes a markedly poor product. I just think they got caught pants down hiding or failing to fix a problem.

Nice to see though after two decades of ppl telling me Toyota Corollas were superior vehicles to Cavilers and Geo Prisms Toyota is getting it fed back to them by the same folks who know nothing about cars.

Forum List

Back