General McChrystal on Television Addresses Idea of Supporting a Draft

The only time lefties quote members of the Military is when they like what they hear. Any other time they spit on them.

Like when you guys spit on the actual warfighters like Max Cleland, Tammy Duckworth, John Kerry, Jack Murtha, Eric Shinseki, Chuck Hagel, and Charlie Rangel?

Oh yeah..you guys are real fucking patriots.

:lol:

My question is this: What kind of scum would advocate war and not happily defend America at the front?

It always tickles me listening to some fatassed armchair general whose closest brush with eternity at the hands of trained killers is a television snip.

A draft would end a lot of the chickenhawk bullshit going on today.

Mitt Romney.

If you are going to be fair about this chickenhawk bullshit, lets not forget Barrack Obama

General McChrystal on Television Addresses Idea of Supporting a Draft and National service.

Watching a PBS show (damn liberal media :eusa_shifty:) Aspen Institute series. Subject of how few people have a direct family connection to the military these days .. General McChrystal said it's less than 1%.

I've supported this idea and have had people who think the all volunteer military should stay that way. Good to know a career commander sees how society and it's military need a closer connection

It's a great idea.

If you're 18..not in college and not working?

Army life for you!

And you served in the military?

Bring back the draft for everyone - no exemptions.
Day in and day out you read about how our servicemen and women are suffering from PTSD, increased suicide rates, and other psychological problems but our Congress and Government in general do not wish to face the reality that much of the problem is caused by a shortage of personnel. That shortage required the constant short term turn-around of personnel and units with many serving multiple (3-4) tours in a combat zone. That shortage is caused by reductions in force structure (numbers of personnel, equipment,etc) because of the supposed reduced need for a large force. So we form a national strategy which tells us what we must be capable to accomplish militarily but Congress never fully funds the force to accomplish that strategy. So when called upon we go off and fight with what we have - a force ill equipped and ill manned for a prolonged battle. There are no replacements in the channel and no back-ups to fill vacancies in units. So, because we cannot recruit sufficient qualified volunteers we lower the acceptance standards to get more recruits. We as a nation, specifically the government) must decide if it is serious about the military or just paying lip service to placate the citizens until the next crises comes around.

Misery loves Company, and that seems to be the case here. Why any free American would want to sentence another free American to 2 years of mandated service is beyond comprehension.
The wars in the Mideast have been going on for over 10 years now, so they were no secrets and the people in the military knew what they were getting into when they joined. If they do not like what is happening, they could have left when their time was up. No one forced them to re-enlist.
Don't like what is happening to the military in the wars in the Mideast. Get Washington to pull our troops out of there. We have no reason to be there in the first place. How long should we have to fight other people's wars for them. Christ, this mess has lasted twice as long as WW2 at this point.
my last point: For those advocating the draft, Have you served in the service and if not, why have you not volunteered?
I'll begin by telling you I was 1-A (draft eligible) in 1956 when I joined the Marine Corps. I chose to do that rather than be drafted because at that time I wanted to share in the pride that branch of our military earned in the Pacific during WW-II and in Korea. In contrast with that attitude I subsequently became active in the Vietnam protest movement -- which is a separate issue.

One of the main reasons why I have always supported restoration of the draft is I firmly believe Bush could not have gotten away with invading Iraq if the sons of all Americans were subject to be sacrificed there as were 5,800 volunteers -- not to mention the tens of thousands who were maimed. The Congress would have looked much more closely at the evidence presented by that sleazy, treacherous bastard, Colin Powell, before conscripting America's sons, including their own, into harm's way.

Bush originally approached General Eric Shinseki to do what Powell ended up doing. But Shinseki, an honorable man, flatly refused, telling Bush the U.S. military is far too undermanned to engage in such a venture. He said an invasion of a country the size of Iraq would call for at least two hundred thousand more troops to avoid significant casualties. Bush then had Rumsfeld pressure Shinseki into retirement and he got Powell to lie for him, instead. Consequently we lost thousands of troops because our limited ground forces were unable to adequately deal with resistance. (Google this, if you doubt it.)

The fact is our military is dangerously undermanned and there is no way we could prevail in a ground war with a nation like China, for one example, which can field a massive infantry force. And for us to use nukes probably would trigger Armageddon. But an active draft would provide us with millions of trained soldiers in the civilian sector who could be activated and fielded in weeks rather than the months it would take to train raw recruits (which was a problem at the outset of WW-II).

A conscript army is a People's army, which is a politically healthy alternative to what we have today, which is a mercenary army in service to the government that employs it rather than to the nation it is patriotically obliged to defend.

I joined the Marines because I was obliged to serve. Why should you not be subject to the same obligation? If you are an able-bodied young man it is something you should be proud to do.

Last edited:
Why should you not be subject to the same obligation?

Let me mention just a few reasons: Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan. none of these was worth one American life....... not one.

If you are an able-bodied young man it is something you should be proud to do.

Proud to defend my country, but none of the above had anything to do with defending my country.

No, because then you are forcing independently wealth people to join the service for no other reason than they have not had a job in a year. Also because you are forcing people to do something..... that should be enough of a dis qualifier.

I guess you are a proponent of Slave Labor

Don't have much regard for Americans today do you?

Loss of civil rights and personal freedoms do not bother you?

Wow, so many things to cover, so just to hit the highlights.

Yea, "independently wealthy" should do this as well. I do not really care if you are the great-great grandson of the wealthiest person in the country. It is your duty to serve the country in some way. You may have a trust fund measured in the billions, I really could not care less.

I do not consider serving your country to be "slave labor". Although if you are one of those that sees any kind of work as "slavery", I guess I can see how you think that way.

To be honest, in generaly I do have pretty low respect for the "Modern American". The type of drive that pushed us to win WWII and to put man on the moon is dead for the most part in this country. Instead of a nation that tries to advance itself, to move ahead we are not a nation of whining children. I want free health-care, I want free housing, I want free cheese, I want to collect unemployment for 5 years, then go onto section 8 and welfare and get everything I need for free!

Yea, that much is pretty much right. Guess I am one of the "New Older Generation", that simply can't understand how somebody can live for over 30 years and never had a job above minimum wage. How I work deliveries at my second job, and see people living in a housing project with better cars and giant plasma TVs (and try to pay me with food stamps) while I work 2 and 3 jobs just to support myself.

Civil rights? Personal freedoms? WTF, are you like 12 years old? Guess what, those are mental constructs, they are not real. As I said, you seem to think anything you do not want to do is a violation of your "civil rights".

Sorry, I could really not care less. You see such things as slavery, I see them as service to the country that supports us.

And let me guess, when something like Katrina or Northridge or Sandy happens, you are probably one of the first to scream for somebody to come and help, right? "Oh come take care of us, this needs to be fixed!"

And if you do not like that, then simply stay employed. Or leave. I have absolutely no problem with seeing people who do not want to help this country leaving the country.

Why should you not be subject to the same obligation?

Let me mention just a few reasons: Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan. none of these was worth one American life....... not one.
Quite true. Korea and Vietnam were mistakes from which the American People learned a painful lesson, which is why the Congress saw fit to suspend the draft, a move which I have no doubt was prompted by the war profiteers who send forth the most lavishly funded lobbyists in Washington. If the draft had remained active it is highly unlikely the Congress would have dared to approve such adventures as Grenada, Panama, Bosnia, and, especially, Iraq and Afghanistan. Public resistance and protest would have been far too powerful.

If you are an able-bodied young man it is something you should be proud to do.

Proud to defend my country, but none of the above had anything to do with defending my country.
That is a retroactive consideration. What about tomorrow? Or next year?

Keep in mind a conscripted military would interfere with the potential for more unnecessary police actions, containments, and preventive "wars," such as Iraq and Afghanistan. With today's volunteer military, public concern is extremely limited. So you can count on an endless progression of these military aggressions. Because every bullet fired by our troops in active engagements puts a dollar in somebody's pocket. Imagine how much they get for the bombs.

New Topics

Forum List

Back