General McChrystal on Television Addresses Idea of Supporting a Draft

This is not the Vietnam era, that ended almost 40 years ago.

Why must so many try to turn the clock back 40+ years to try and make their point. This is no longer 1960-something.

Because if you do not learn from history you are doomed to repeat it.
The Draft was a bad idea then, it is a bad idea now.
The draft was not a bad idea. The problem is it was misused in the example of Vietnam. The reason why it was so easily misused is the American People at that time were still naive enough to believe their government would not commit the military to the kind of wholly unnecessary and wrongful debacle the Vietnam "containment" was.

But the draft was the primary motivation behind the Vietnam protest movement -- which is the reason why it was suspended. If it were not for the draft who knows how long Vietnam would have continued enriching the Military Industrial Complex.

If the draft were still active Bush could not have gotten approval to invade Iraq.

Conscription ensures that we have a People's army, not a mercenary army which is in service to the government.

Conscription ensures that we have a People's army, not a mercenary army which is in service to the government.

But wait, what happened to those who follow the call and allowing themselves to be drafted being mistifyed and misled by the Capitolists?

250px-IWW_anti-conscription_poster_1916.jpg

Sorry, but whenever I see a Leftist start to encourage a draft, I really see that they want to claim to create a draft as a way to destroy the military.

But wait, what happened to those who follow the call and allowing themselves to be drafted being mistifyed and misled by the Capitolists?

250px-IWW_anti-conscription_poster_1916.jpg

Sorry, but whenever I see a Leftist start to encourage a draft, I really see that they want to claim to create a draft as a way to destroy the military.
If you're referring to Vietnam, those who were caught up in the early stages of that debacle still believed it was a "war" and that they were defending their country rather than being used as cannon fodder. But as it dragged on the draft resistance movement emerged, rapidly increased, and ultimately became the most potent weapon in the overall Vietnam protest movement.

The reason the draft was suspended is our corporatist government realized it couldn't get away with starting any more bullshit "wars" while the sons of the general population were subject to being forced into them. But with an all volunteer military, who cares?

Believe me, if the draft were in place Bush could not have gotten the Iraq invasion off the ground. Because every young man over 18 with an IQ over 80, and his parents, would be raising hell and demanding to know more about the proposed "war" than Colin Powell's fraudulent performance was telling them.

The only good thing to come from the Vietnam fiasco was the Nation learned a lesson from it. Which is why we don't have the draft today.

The reason the draft was suspended is our corporatist government realized it couldn't get away with starting any more bullshit "wars" while the sons of the general population were subject to being forced into them. But with an all volunteer military, who cares?

And this is known as dissassociation from reality. You are so wrapped up in propaganda and politics that you can't seem to see the reality.

It's about a shared burden and duty, something today's right wingers and neocons wouldn't understand since most of their heroes were chickenhawks.

Members of the military vote 2 to 1 Republican over Democrat, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

General McChrystal on Television Addresses Idea of Supporting a Draft and National service.

Watching a PBS show (damn liberal media :eusa_shifty:) Aspen Institute series. Subject of how few people have a direct family connection to the military these days .. General McChrystal said it's less than 1%.

I've supported this idea and have had people who think the all volunteer military should stay that way. Good to know a career commander sees how society and it's military need a closer connection

Now that they've lifted Don't Ask Don't Tell you can sign up.

And this is known as dissassociation from reality. You are so wrapped up in propaganda and politics that you can't seem to see the reality.
Which is?

Or are you content to spew empty accusations?

It's about a shared burden and duty, something today's right wingers and neocons wouldn't understand since most of their heroes were chickenhawks.

Members of the military vote 2 to 1 Republican over Democrat, so I don't know where you got that idea from.

The problem here is that most people really do not understand those in the military.

In reality, the military is pretty much a reflection of civilian life. And most in the military are around 40% Republican, 40% Democrat, and 20% other/independent.

However, they also tend to be more Conservative then most Democrats. In other words, likely to vote for a Joe Lieberman and not a Dianne Feinstein. And with so many Democrats constantly talking down to us, the Democrats in uniform are more likely to swing to Republican if the candidate is of the Far Left variety.

I have seen this over and over since 1984. I only knew of a small handfull of people in my unit that voted for Walter Mondale, the support was almost universally for President Reagan. The same in 1992, and again last year. 2008 was kind of a swing, but by far most I knew that voted for President Obama in 2008 had regrets in 2012.

Like many other "special interest groups", the military tends to vote for it's own interests, but not always. So "Military Democrats" are very likely to cross party lines, if one candidate favors a strong military and the other wants to drastically cut the military.

Or are you content to spew empty accusations?

No, we simply lack any kind of common protocol for communication.

To you, everything is political, and has some kind of fundamental foundation in ideology. For me, I care little about politics or ideology or anything else. It is like a conversation between a Scientist and a Fundamentalist. Neither can really communicate because they have totally different outlooks.

So you are free to live in Ideology-land all you want, I live in the real world.

Bring back the draft for everyone - no exemptions.
Day in and day out you read about how our servicemen and women are suffering from PTSD, increased suicide rates, and other psychological problems but our Congress and Government in general do not wish to face the reality that much of the problem is caused by a shortage of personnel. That shortage required the constant short term turn-around of personnel and units with many serving multiple (3-4) tours in a combat zone. That shortage is caused by reductions in force structure (numbers of personnel, equipment,etc) because of the supposed reduced need for a large force. So we form a national strategy which tells us what we must be capable to accomplish militarily but Congress never fully funds the force to accomplish that strategy. So when called upon we go off and fight with what we have - a force ill equipped and ill manned for a prolonged battle. There are no replacements in the channel and no back-ups to fill vacancies in units. So, because we cannot recruit sufficient qualified volunteers we lower the acceptance standards to get more recruits. We as a nation, specifically the government) must decide if it is serious about the military or just paying lip service to placate the citizens until the next crises comes around.

The only time lefties quote members of the Military is when they like what they hear. Any other time they spit on them.

I'm in favor of the draft. I think everybody (male and female alike) should pull 2 years in the military right after high school and before college.

Day in and day out you read about how our servicemen and women are suffering from PTSD, increased suicide rates, and other psychological problems but our Congress and Government in general do not wish to face the reality that much of the problem is caused by a shortage of personnel.

That shortage required the constant short term turn-around of personnel and units with many serving multiple (3-4) tours in a combat zone. That shortage is caused by reductions in force structure (numbers of personnel, equipment,etc) because of the supposed reduced need for a large force.

So we form a national strategy which tells us what we must be capable to accomplish militarily but Congress never fully funds the force to accomplish that strategy.

So when called upon we go off and fight with what we have - a force ill equipped and ill manned for a prolonged battle. There are no replacements in the channel and no back-ups to fill vacancies in units.

So, because we cannot recruit sufficient qualified volunteers we lower the acceptance standards to get more recruits. We as a nation, specifically the government) must decide if it is serious about the military or just paying lip service to placate the citizens until the next crises comes around.
Thank you for bringing the shortage factor out. It is a very important point but it is rarely addressed.

Day in and day out you read about how our servicemen and women are suffering from PTSD, increased suicide rates, and other psychological problems but our Congress and Government in general do not wish to face the reality that much of the problem is caused by a shortage of personnel. That shortage required the constant short term turn-around of personnel and units with many serving multiple (3-4) tours in a combat zone. That shortage is caused by reductions in force structure (numbers of personnel, equipment,etc) because of the supposed reduced need for a large force. So we form a national strategy which tells us what we must be capable to accomplish militarily but Congress never fully funds the force to accomplish that strategy. So when called upon we go off and fight with what we have - a force ill equipped and ill manned for a prolonged battle. There are no replacements in the channel and no back-ups to fill vacancies in units. So, because we cannot recruit sufficient qualified volunteers we lower the acceptance standards to get more recruits. We as a nation, specifically the government) must decide if it is serious about the military or just paying lip service to placate the citizens until the next crises comes around.

Misery loves Company, and that seems to be the case here. Why any free American would want to sentence another free American to 2 years of mandated service is beyond comprehension.
The wars in the Mideast have been going on for over 10 years now, so they were no secrets and the people in the military knew what they were getting into when they joined. If they do not like what is happening, they could have left when their time was up. No one forced them to re-enlist.
Don't like what is happening to the military in the wars in the Mideast. Get Washington to pull our troops out of there. We have no reason to be there in the first place. How long should we have to fight other people's wars for them. Christ, this mess has lasted twice as long as WW2 at this point.
my last point: For those advocating the draft, Have you served in the service and if not, why have you not volunteered?

Last edited:
my last point: For those advocating the draft, Have you served in the service and if not, why have you not volunteered?

We have gone over this before, no need to do so again.

Myself, I have served. 10 years Marines, 1983-1993. Then 5 years Army, 2007-2012. Am now in the Army Reserves. In total over 16 years of service, served under every preasident since Reagan, enlisted or re-enlisted a total of 5 times now.

How about this then. Everybody between the ages of 18 and 28 who has not held a job of over 6 months, been unemployed for over 1 year, and not engaged in some kind of training program must subit themselves for 2 years of service, to include free job training?

And remember, I myself think that if there is ever a draft, it should not be to the military (although that should be an option), but to the country as a whole. Think "Internal Peace Corps" if you like.

The problem here is largely in definition I think. What you see as "Free Americans", I see largely as sponges on the system. Lilies of the field, they toil not.

Or put it in the words of Jack Kennedy, and ask not what your country can do for you...

I honestly believe that a lot of the problems in this country today stem from the fact that people now grow up with the "me first" attitude. Me, me, me, me, me. My civil rights, my personal freedoms, yadda, yadda, yadda. And what often bothers me the most is that these should be grown men and women, but instead they act like infants who are crying cause the nice warm tit just got yanked out of their mouth.

So sorry, every time you say something like "Why any free American would want to sentence another free American to 2 years of mandated service is beyond comprehension" is really "I don't wanna do anything I don't want to!" and "I am gonna flip this around to try and make people feel sorry for me".

You are aware that most countries actually mandate military service, are you not? So just be thankfull where you are not living in a country right now where you would have no choice in the matter at all.

My question is this: What kind of scum would advocate war and not happily defend America at the front?

It always tickles me listening to some fatassed armchair general whose closest brush with eternity at the hands of trained killers is a television snip.

A draft would end a lot of the chickenhawk bullshit going on today.

Last edited:

We have gone over this before, no need to do so again.

Myself, I have served. 10 years Marines, 1983-1993. Then 5 years Army, 2007-2012. Am now in the Army Reserves. In total over 16 years of service, served under every preasident since Reagan, enlisted or re-enlisted a total of 5 times now.

Bragging or complaining?

How about this then. Everybody between the ages of 18 and 28 who has not held a job of over 6 months, been unemployed for over 1 year, and not engaged in some kind of training program must subit themselves for 2 years of service, to include free job training?
No, because then you are forcing independently wealth people to join the service for no other reason than they have not had a job in a year. Also because you are forcing people to do something..... that should be enough of a dis qualifier.

And remember, I myself think that if there is ever a draft, it should not be to the military (although that should be an option), but to the country as a whole. Think "Internal Peace Corps" if you like.
I guess you are a proponent of Slave Labor

The problem here is largely in definition I think. What you see as "Free Americans", I see largely as sponges on the system. Lilies of the field, they toil not.
Seems you see everyone that has not served as a sponge on the system no matter if they are collecting or ever collected welfare. Would we have been better off if Bill Gates was drafted and served in Iraq or killed in Vietnam?

Or put it in the words of Jack Kennedy, and ask not what your country can do for you...
I honestly believe that a lot of the problems in this country today stem from the fact that people now grow up with the "me first" attitude. Me, me, me, me, me.

Don't have much regard for Americans today do you?

My civil rights, my personal freedoms, yadda, yadda, yadda. And what often bothers me the most is that these should be grown men and women, but instead they act like infants who are crying cause the nice warm tit just got yanked out of their mouth.
Loss of civil rights and personal freedoms do not bother you?

So sorry, every time you say something like "Why any free American would want to sentence another free American to 2 years of mandated service is beyond comprehension" is really "I don't wanna do anything I don't want to!" and "I am gonna flip this around to try and make people feel sorry for me".
So you prove that misery loves company.... and your view is that since I served, I think everyone else should also serve their time being told what to do and when to do it.

You are aware that most countries actually mandate military service, are you not? So just be thankfull where you are not living in a country right now where you would have no choice in the matter at all.
Like everyone says...... America is not like most countries and we should be proud of that fact.

General McChrystal on Television Addresses Idea of Supporting a Draft and National service.

Watching a PBS show (damn liberal media :eusa_shifty:) Aspen Institute series. Subject of how few people have a direct family connection to the military these days .. General McChrystal said it's less than 1%.

I've supported this idea and have had people who think the all volunteer military should stay that way. Good to know a career commander sees how society and it's military need a closer connection

It's a great idea.

If you're 18..not in college and not working?

Army life for you!

My question is this: What kind of scum would advocate war and not happily defend America at the front?

It always tickles me listening to some fatassed armchair general whose closest brush with eternity at the hands of trained killers is a television snip.

A draft would end a lot of the chickenhawk bullshit going on today.

Mitt Romney.

New Topics

Forum List

Back