General energy news

Report: solar PV demand to grow 36% in 2014

Solar Industry News | January 7, 2014 by Brian | 0 Comments

Global demand for solar PV is set to reach 49 GW this year, up from 36 GW in 2013, with almost half coming from the Asia-Pacific region.

The prediction comes from research firm NPD Solarbuzz’ latest quarterly report, which finds that the last quarter of 2013 and first quarter of 2014 will be record breaking periods.

“The solar PV industry has reached a critical tipping point, with end-market demand hitting record levels almost every quarter,” said Finlay Colville, vice-president at NPD Solarbuzz.

“This growth is being driven by leading module suppliers and project developers that returned to profitability during 2013, and which have now established highly-effective global sales and marketing networks.”

From October 2013 to March 2014, almost 22 GW of solar photovoltaics will be installed worldwide. That month period will have more installations than 2005 to 2009 put together, and equivalent to one new 5 MW solar farm completed every hour for six months.

Report: solar PV demand to grow 36% in 2014 - Solar Tribune

Tesla has completed a cross-USA supercharger network, in addition to covering the east and west coasts. That means at least one supercharger station (30 minute charges) every 200 miles.

By the way, a Tesla has a bigass battery and can go 200 miles in the winter, but lesser electrics like the Leaf can't. Subzero temps will knock 40% off the battery range. It's one of the issues EV's have to work on.

Superchargers

SuperCharger20140124.PNG

Last edited:
China’s Solar Market Beat All Expectations For 2013
China's Solar Market Beat All Expectations For 2013 | CleanTechnica

Despite predictions all through 2013 suggesting that Japan would walk away the dominant solar PV market, Bloomberg New Energy Finance has revealed that China “outstripped even the most optimistic forecasts” to install a record 12 GW of photovoltaic projects in 2013.

In fact, a massive boom at the end of the year could even have pushed the nation’s market up to 14 GW, a phenomenal feat considering that no country has ever added more than 8 GW in a year.

Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF) had predicted that Japan would come out on top in 2013, ahead of China and then the US, but with a feed-in tariff for large PV projects ending on the first of 2014, the year-end rush will not be wholly understood until March.

“The 2013 figures show the astonishing scale of the Chinese market, now the sleeping dragon has awoken” said Jenny Chase, head of solar analysis at Bloomberg New Energy Finance. “PV is becoming ever cheaper and simpler to install, and China’s government has been as surprised as European governments by how quickly it can be deployed in response to incentives.”

So much for solar being a liberal tree hugger energy source. LOL I really don't believe hating it because it is liberal is going to stop it.

Last edited:
India Nearly Doubled Its Solar Power Capacity In 2013

India added just over 1 gigawatt of solar energy to its electrical grid last year, a major milestone that nearly doubles the country’s cumulative solar energy capacity to 2.18 gigawatts. After a slow start to the year, solar installation picked up rapidly — a good sign that India will be able to meet its ambitious solar targets going forward. India hopes to install 10 GW of solar by 2017 and 20 GW by 2022.

The Jawaharlal Nehru National Solar Mission, launched in 2010 by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, aims to help the country achieve success with solar energy deployment. India is currently in the planning stages of building the world’s largest solar plant, which would generate 4 gigawatts in the northwestern state of Rajasthan.

India Nearly Doubled Its Solar Power Capacity In 2013 | CleanTechnica

Largest-ever wind turbine prototype now generating.

Giant Vestas wind turbine swings into gear - 28 Jan 2014 - News from BusinessGreen

The Vestas V164-8.0 MW is about 220 meters from base to full upright blade tip, though exact height varies a little, based on the site. Blade diameter is 164 meters, and capacity is 8 megawatts. It's designed for the high-wind conditions of the North Sea offshore sites.

US New Solar PV Installations Reach Record 4.2 GW

Excellent! I want to fuel my EV this evening...say 6PM. Can ANY of those GW's do that? I only need a few kWh, surely out of all those GW there are some that can give me a little juice when I plug in my car? This evening?

:eusa_whistle:

Hmmmmmmmmm............. Really? You have never heard of grid parrallel? You put juice in during the day, and draw from the grid at night. Perhaps too complicated to understand?

US New Solar PV Installations Reach Record 4.2 GW

Excellent! I want to fuel my EV this evening...say 6PM. Can ANY of those GW's do that? I only need a few kWh, surely out of all those GW there are some that can give me a little juice when I plug in my car? This evening?

Hmmmmmmmmm............. Really? You have never heard of grid parrallel? You put juice in during the day, and draw from the grid at night. Perhaps too complicated to understand?

I do this all the time. The problem being, during the evening I can only get some wind power. The PV stuff doesn't work so good at night in my neck of the woods.

But it is nice that most renewables can do stuff intermittently….now if we can just get folks to only watch TV or charge their cars when the sun is shining, or the wind blowing. Those near a coast might be luckier, the tides are always doing their thing.

Viewpoint: Encouraging Signs on the Path to Fusion

Physics - Encouraging Signs on the Path to Fusion

Steven J. Rose, Blackett Laboratory, Department of Physics, Imperial College London, London SW7 2AZ, United Kingdom

Published February 5, 2014 | Physics 7, 13 (2014) | DOI: 10.1103/Physics.7.13

By adopting a new strategy toward laser fusion, researchers at the National Ignition Facility have produced the highest energy output to date.

For four years, researchers at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) have worked toward an ambitious goal: using powerful lasers to ignite fusion in a tiny target of nuclear fuel. If the fusion reaction releases more energy than the lasers provide—corresponding to a “gain” of greater than 1—NIF could have the makings of a new energy source. But so far, NIF hasn’t been able to pass this gain threshold. And because experiments haven’t matched up with the predictions of simulations, it has been difficult to figure out what to change. Now, researchers (Park et al.) at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California, where NIF is located, report in Physical Review Letters the first laser ignition experiment that appears to be behaving according to the predictions of current models [1]. The researchers used a different laser pulse shape to heat the target, producing the highest yield of neutrons—and therefore the largest energy output—seen to date. Their result is a major achievement because it gives hope NIF will ultimately find a path to achieving gain greater than 1.

Last edited:
By adopting a new strategy toward laser fusion, researchers at the National Ignition Facility have produced the highest energy output to date.

And I can use wonderful new laser fusion energy to charge up my car....when...exactly? And I didn't see a mention of the cost curve...gee....I wonder why?

As we all know, for anything to work it has to actually WORK in the real world (versus, say, a lab) and its cost curve must be superior to things that DO work...natural gas, coal, heating fuel, propane, nukes utilizing fission, PV and wind, etc etc.

Why is it these grand proclamations are always talking about things that don't work yet, and no one can provide a cost curve for? Huh....maybe next pimped item will contain the parts that MATTER?

I do this all the time. The problem being, during the evening I can only get some wind power. The PV stuff doesn't work so good at night in my neck of the woods.

But it is nice that most renewables can do stuff intermittently….now if we can just get folks to only watch TV or charge their cars when the sun is shining, or the wind blowing. Those near a coast might be luckier, the tides are always doing their thing.

Net Metering | SEIA

Net Metering
Net metering allows residential and commercial customers who generate their own electricity from solar power to feed electricity they do not use back into the grid. Many states have passed net metering laws. In other states, utilities may offer net metering programs voluntarily or as a result of regulatory decisions. Differences between states' legislation and implementation mean that the benefits of net metering can vary widely for solar customers in different areas of the country.
What Is Net Metering?

Net metering is a billing mechanism that credits solar energy system owners for the electricity they add to the grid. For example, if a residential customer has a PV system on the home's rooftop, it may generate more electricity than the home uses during daylight hours. If the home is net-metered, the electricity meter will run backwards to provide a credit against what electricity is consumed at night or other periods where the home's electricity use exceeds the system's output. Customers are only billed for their "net" energy use. On average, only 20-40% of a solar energy system’s output ever goes into the grid. Exported solar electricity serves nearby customers’ loads.

Most advancing comes this way. You republicans are just retarded.

Research takes money
Being number one in science takes money
Investment is the only choice if America wants to lead.

I know how advancing comes, and that wasn't my comment. If I draw you cost/supply/demand curves in crayon, will you understand then?

And I'm a registered independent thank you very much. Have a difficult time choosing between Democans and Republicrats, so I vote for the person rather than the party.

We’re One Step Closer to Nuclear Fusion Energy

Scientists with the National Ignition Facility (NIF) at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory announced today that they have achieved a critical step in fusion research: For the first time, their hydrogen fuel has given off more energy than it took in.

Though an important milestone, the result does not mean that your Delorean is soon going to sport a Mr. Fusion reactor. NIF would need to sustain temperatures and pressures much greater than they are currently capable of before they can harness fusion energy.

Nuclear fusion is the energy source of the stars. Deep in our sun’s belly, hydrogen atoms slam into one another at high speed, getting mashed together to form helium atoms and releasing copious amounts of energy. Creating viable fusion energy here on Earth has been a dream since the dawn of the Atomic Age. With true fusion power, the amount of water you use in a single shower could provide all your energy needs for a year. But for six decades, fusion has remained a far-off dream.

Because of this convoluted process, only 1/200th of the energy that the lasers generate is imparted to the hydrogen fuel, compressing it enough to produce a small amount of fusion. Until now, the energy given off by the fusing hydrogen hasn’t been enough to set off a chain reaction. The hydrogen fuel also always consumed more energy than it put out. But during experiments late last year, NIF researchers were finally able to get the hydrogen to give off as much as 1.7 times more energy than it had taken in, a result that appears today in Nature. In subsequent experiments last month, the team was able to produce as much as 2.6 times more energy than was put into the hydrogen fuel.

“The physics is a breakthrough,” said physicist Riccardo Betti of the University of Rochester, who was not involved in the work. “If fusion will ever become a viable source of energy, we may look back and say that in 2013, for the first time, a plasma produced more energy out than it took in.”

We're One Step Closer to Nuclear Fusion Energy - Wired Science

The one true way to energy independence! The first big victory to that road!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back