General Discussion

Big Black Dog

Platinum Member
May 20, 2009
I guess the General Discussion section of the USMB is the proper place to talk about Generals. So, let's have a General Discussion. Who, in your opinion, has been the greatest General ever or at least up until now? I say the greatest General ever was Robert E. Lee. What say you?

No way. Lee sucked at getting his men food, clothing and amuniiton. He was a berzerker who routinely took casualties in the range of 45-50% (that he could inspire his men to take that kind of beating shows he had great potential to inspire, but that is only part of the job.

And he never seemed to care about the greater victory, he only focused on a narrow part of his purview. He should have sent longstreet off to deal with Grant, rather than marching north into PA. When Longstreet was sent to help Bragg, the resulting victory nearly eliminated the north's victories of the previous two years. Sending Longstreet 5 months earlier to stop Grant could have changed the course of the war and saved thousands of lives.

Grant was lot better. His men were fed, he knew where he was going (the confederates opposite him usually didn't, and his worst casualties were no more than 30% of the forces engaged, which is way better than Lee's best records.

Lee was very lucky in his subordinates. He had Jackson and Longstreet, but he was never strategically inspired. Grant was responsible for the crossing of the James, the capture of Vicksburg, the re trivial of the disaster at Chattanooga. Lee has nothing remotely comparable.

I rode a tank
Held a generals rank
When the Blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank

General Rommel, 'The Desert Fox'

Notable quote: "The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoptive compromise solutions."

General Rommel, 'The Desert Fox'

Notable quote: "The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoptive compromise solutions."

Just had a weird and unproveable thought; maybe Bin Laden studied Rommel, thought outside the box(cutter?), and executed the 9/11 plot, luring us to Afghanistan for 9 years.............nahhhh.......

Black Jack Pershing.

John J. Pershing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And even if the legend of the Terrorists and the Pig Blood isn't true, he deserves recognition for plausibility of it occurring.

HOW TO STOP ISLAMIC TERRORISTS . . . it worked once in our History . . .

Once in US history an episode of Islamic terrorism was very quickly stopped. It happened in the Philippines about 1911, when Gen. John J. Pershing was in command of the garrison. There had been numerous Islamic terrorist attacks, so "Black Jack" told his boys to catch the perps and teach them a lesson.

Forced to dig their own graves, the terrorists were all tied to posts, execution style. The US soldiers then brought in pigs and slaughtered them, rubbing their bullets in the blood and fat. Thus, the terrorists were terrorized; they saw that they would be contaminated with hogs' blood. This would mean that they could not enter Heaven, even if they died as terrorist martyrs.

All but one was shot, their bodies dumped into the grave, and the hog guts dumped atop the bodies. The lone survivor was allowed to escape back to the terrorist camp and tell his brethren what happened to the others. This brought a stop to terrorism in the Philippines for the next 50 years.

snopes.com: Pershing and Pigs

"The Gunfighter," Gen. Hank Emerson

Maybe not so well known in history, But the best general I ever served under. The man was a troops General and was not afraid to tell you off. No matter who you were. From Korea and Nam, he eventually led the XVIII Abn Corps where I had the pleasure of working with him, and on occasion running the All American Mile with him.

No way. Lee sucked at getting his men food, clothing and amuniiton. He was a berzerker who routinely took casualties in the range of 45-50% (that he could inspire his men to take that kind of beating shows he had great potential to inspire, but that is only part of the job.

And he never seemed to care about the greater victory, he only focused on a narrow part of his purview. He should have sent longstreet off to deal with Grant, rather than marching north into PA. When Longstreet was sent to help Bragg, the resulting victory nearly eliminated the north's victories of the previous two years. Sending Longstreet 5 months earlier to stop Grant could have changed the course of the war and saved thousands of lives.

Grant was lot better. His men were fed, he knew where he was going (the confederates opposite him usually didn't, and his worst casualties were no more than 30% of the forces engaged, which is way better than Lee's best records.

Lee was very lucky in his subordinates. He had Jackson and Longstreet, but he was never strategically inspired. Grant was responsible for the crossing of the James, the capture of Vicksburg, the re trivial of the disaster at Chattanooga. Lee has nothing remotely comparable.

I'm sticking my tongue out at you for saying such nasty things about General Robert E. Lee. He may not have been your favorite, and you may easily find fault with him, but he's still my favorite General. So there. (sticks thumbs in both ears and wiggles hands while saying Na Na Na Na Ha):lol:

personally, i prefer admirals.

Admiral ackbar for best admiral evah!

$its_a_trap_seal.jpg

Alexander the Great

Alexander the Great, also known as Alexander III, was an Ancient Greek king of Macedon during the time of 323 BC. Alexander is considered the most successful military leader of all time, sporting an undefeated battle record. Upon his death, Alexander had conquered most of the world then known to the ancient Greeks.

I guess the General Discussion section of the USMB is the proper place to talk about Generals. So, let's have a General Discussion. Who, in your opinion, has been the greatest General ever or at least up until now? I say the greatest General ever was Robert E. Lee. What say you?

Of course it all depends on how you define "greatest" doesn't it?

I define "greatest" as that general whose actions (or inactions) best served the nation.

Hence, George Washington is hands down the GREATEST general the USA ever had.

Oh, you meant in the world ...ever?

If you define "greatest" as he whose military activity took the most land?

Then it's probably one of the Khans.

Ghenghis Khan, maybe?

AT one time he controlled most of the Eurasian land mass.

Nobody has ever conquered so much land as he.

Forum List

Back