General Discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Black Dog, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,723
    I guess the General Discussion section of the USMB is the proper place to talk about Generals. So, let's have a General Discussion. Who, in your opinion, has been the greatest General ever or at least up until now? I say the greatest General ever was Robert E. Lee. What say you?

2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    No way. Lee sucked at getting his men food, clothing and amuniiton. He was a berzerker who routinely took casualties in the range of 45-50% (that he could inspire his men to take that kind of beating shows he had great potential to inspire, but that is only part of the job.

And he never seemed to care about the greater victory, he only focused on a narrow part of his purview. He should have sent longstreet off to deal with Grant, rather than marching north into PA. When Longstreet was sent to help Bragg, the resulting victory nearly eliminated the north's victories of the previous two years. Sending Longstreet 5 months earlier to stop Grant could have changed the course of the war and saved thousands of lives.

Grant was lot better. His men were fed, he knew where he was going (the confederates opposite him usually didn't, and his worst casualties were no more than 30% of the forces engaged, which is way better than Lee's best records.

Lee was very lucky in his subordinates. He had Jackson and Longstreet, but he was never strategically inspired. Grant was responsible for the crossing of the James, the capture of Vicksburg, the re trivial of the disaster at Chattanooga. Lee has nothing remotely comparable.

3. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,826
    I rode a tank
    Held a generals rank
    When the Blitzkrieg raged
    And the bodies stank

4. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    I generally dislike generals so I generally to not comment on generals, generally that is.

5. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,834
    Personally, I prefer Admirals.

Admiral Ackbar for Best Admiral Evah!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  6. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,888
    General Rommel, 'The Desert Fox'

Notable quote: "The future battle on the ground will be preceded by battle in the air. This will determine which of the contestants has to suffer operational and tactical disadvantages and be forced throughout the battle into adoptive compromise solutions."

7. B. Kidd

B. Kidd Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,888

Just had a weird and unproveable thought; maybe Bin Laden studied Rommel, thought outside the box(cutter?), and executed the 9/11 plot, luring us to Afghanistan for 9 years.............nahhhh.......

8. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    General Washington is generally considered the most popular - in general.

I dig General Foods.

10. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,834
    Black Jack Pershing.

John J. Pershing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And even if the legend of the Terrorists and the Pig Blood isn't true, he deserves recognition for plausibility of it occurring.

HOW TO STOP ISLAMIC TERRORISTS . . . it worked once in our History . . .

Once in US history an episode of Islamic terrorism was very quickly stopped. It happened in the Philippines about 1911, when Gen. John J. Pershing was in command of the garrison. There had been numerous Islamic terrorist attacks, so "Black Jack" told his boys to catch the perps and teach them a lesson.

Forced to dig their own graves, the terrorists were all tied to posts, execution style. The US soldiers then brought in pigs and slaughtered them, rubbing their bullets in the blood and fat. Thus, the terrorists were terrorized; they saw that they would be contaminated with hogs' blood. This would mean that they could not enter Heaven, even if they died as terrorist martyrs.

All but one was shot, their bodies dumped into the grave, and the hog guts dumped atop the bodies. The lone survivor was allowed to escape back to the terrorist camp and tell his brethren what happened to the others. This brought a stop to terrorism in the Philippines for the next 50 years.

snopes.com: Pershing and Pigs