Genealogy! And knowing who you are~

My dad, who’s always trumpeted with pride that we’re related to Harry Truman, used to annoy the living shit outta me for passing out those disparaging fake three-dollar bills with Hillary’s face on ‘em...

his head nearly exploded when I showed him how he’s actually much more closely related to Hillary than he is to Harry...

my mom thanked me later for getting dad to stop handing out those stupid three-dollar bills ... :)

My dad, who’s always trumpeted with pride that we’re related to Harry Truman, used to annoy the living shit outta me for passing out those disparaging fake three-dollar bills with Hillary’s face on ‘em...

his head nearly exploded when I showed him how he’s actually much more closely related to Hillary than he is to Harry...

my mom thanked me later for getting dad to stop handing out those stupid three-dollar bills ... :)

LOL. :lol:

I’ve been able to trace a few of my lines as far back as the 800-900’s...

some of the more interesting things I’ve found in my research (from either Ancestry.com or other sources):

most all of my lines (on both my mother’s and father’s side) first arrived and settled in the Carolinas in the 1600’s and made their way to the Louisiana/ Mississippi area in the 1700’s... but it appears that the lines on my mother’s side and the lines on my father’s side were completely unaware of each other, and had no connection until my mother and father met...

My Mother side Came to New England in the 1630's. We do have cases where some of the family names have entered the line a few times over. IE Jane smith marries in and then another member of the same Smith line marries in a few generations later. I guess back when there weren't to many folks around everybody was kin.

some of the more interesting things I’ve found in my research (from either Ancestry.com or other sources):

most all of my lines (on both my mother’s and father’s side) first arrived and settled in the Carolinas in the 1600’s and made their way to the Louisiana/ Mississippi area in the 1700’s... but it appears that the lines on my mother’s side and the lines on my father’s side were completely unaware of each other, and had no connection until my mother and father met...

I’m descended from the first Protestant minister (a Swayze) to set foot on the west side of the Mississippi...

my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Peter Bryan Bruin, an officer in the Revolutionary War who, while being held on a British POW ship, survived a bout of smallpox, settled in the Natchez area after the war and was appointed to be a magistrate in the western Mississippi territory by the Spanish governor... he kept that position after the US took over the area... but was removed from that position later in his life for displaying drunkenness on the bench... during his tenure as magistrate, Bruin happened to have his personal friend Aaron Burr as a guest in his home in Natchez at the time treason charges were being brought up against Burr for treason...

I’m a direct descendant of Geoffrey Chaucer, Robert the Bruce, and a coupla folks who came over on the Mayflower... as well as the younger brother of the ancient king upon whom the Arthurian legend is based...

my middle name (Magruder) goes back to a side of my family that was once a part of the MacGregor clan, but had to change their name in disgrace and go off in exile for having incited insurrection against the Scottish king at the time...

btw, I also did some research into my wife’s family... and, lo and behold, this li’l Cajun gal (daughter of a grocer from bum-fuck Mamou, Louisiana) is descended from Charlemagne...

The McGregor's also massacred a clan. Historically it is couched in terms of them wanting the land on Loch Lomond. However, I believe they had been fighting over it for some time before the massacre occurred. The remaining women paraded the bloody clothes in front of the king. That was part of it. But I'm told McGregor is, today, a popular name in Scotland.

I have a friend who is descendants are the 'Bacons.' I have encouraged her to check for more than just lineal descendants as some think that Shakespeare was actually Sir Francis Bacon, who would have been killed in that day for writing the things he did and adopted a pseudonym.

There is also a famous explorer in my family, but I'm not a lineal descendant, he would just be a cousin ever how many times removed.

I know a lot of people who say they are descendants of nobility. Likely many here do as only the first sons could inherit and the second sons came here to make their fortunes.

fascinating stuff, n'est pas...?

My Mother side Came to New England in the 1630's. We do have cases where some of the family names have entered the line a few times over. IE Jane smith marries in and then another member of the same Smith line marries in a few generations later. I guess back when there weren't to many folks around everybody was kin.

In the last six generations, my father's side of the family has a coupla instances of first cousins getting married... which might help explain why I'm a near-savant in some areas and a hopeless dumb-fuck in others...

We were North Carolina loyalists during the Revolution, terrorized the country side in the name of the Crown, had to fortress up after Yorktown for several years, then became very, very pro-independence.

We were North Carolina unionist and immigrated to California immediately before Sumter to survive the crazies. After the war, we came back, took back our land and drove out the crazies, then moved into southwestern Georgia and western Florida, eventually owning land all the way to East Texas.

My immediate family moved to California after 1900. After college and military, I returned to my southern roots.

Last edited:

In the last six generations, my father's side of the family has a coupla instances of first cousins getting married... which might help explain why I'm a near-savant in some areas and a hopeless dumb-fuck in others...

It is legal in some states for first cousins to marry. From my experience in psych, the BIG problem comes from that father/daughter thing, (not the daughter's choice, though.) Many very sick and disabled people who are in the mental health system are products of incest. Some have just enough brains to know it, too, an when that happenes it is heartbreaking.

My Grandfather on my mother's side immigrated to America when he was in his 20's from Norway and moved to Minnesota, and later North Dakota where he met my grandmother. My Grandfather used to tell me stories about his line going all the way back to Erik the Red.

My Grandmother is half German and half Scottish, with her lines going all the way back to having several members of her clan (MacLean) being members of the Black Watch of Scotland, as well as one of them having lineage back to Robert the Bruce (yeah, the guy who was portrayed in the movie Braveheart). I remember her telling me stories about my ancestors in the late 70's and early 80's while I was living with them.

On my father's side? Not so much is known, but I do have his name and where he came from.

I’m descended from the first Protestant minister (a Swayze) to set foot on the west side of the Mississippi...

my g-g-g-g-g-grandfather, Peter Bryan Bruin, an officer in the Revolutionary War who, while being held on a British POW ship, survived a bout of smallpox, settled in the Natchez area after the war and was appointed to be a magistrate in the western Mississippi territory by the Spanish governor... he kept that position after the US took over the area... but was removed from that position later in his life for displaying drunkenness on the bench... during his tenure as magistrate, Bruin happened to have his personal friend Aaron Burr as a guest in his home in Natchez at the time treason charges were being brought up against Burr for treason...

I’m a direct descendant of Geoffrey Chaucer, Robert the Bruce, and a coupla folks who came over on the Mayflower... as well as the younger brother of the ancient king upon whom the Arthurian legend is based...

my middle name (Magruder) goes back to a side of my family that was once a part of the MacGregor clan, but had to change their name in disgrace and go off in exile for having incited insurrection against the Scottish king at the time...

btw, I also did some research into my wife’s family... and, lo and behold, this li’l Cajun gal (daughter of a grocer from bum-fuck Mamou, Louisiana) is descended from Charlemagne...

The McGregor's also massacred a clan. Historically it is couched in terms of them wanting the land on Loch Lomond. However, I believe they had been fighting over it for some time before the massacre occurred. The remaining women paraded the bloody clothes in front of the king. That was part of it. But I'm told McGregor is, today, a popular name in Scotland.

I have a friend who is descendants are the 'Bacons.' I have encouraged her to check for more than just lineal descendants as some think that Shakespeare was actually Sir Francis Bacon, who would have been killed in that day for writing the things he did and adopted a pseudonym.

There is also a famous explorer in my family, but I'm not a lineal descendant, he would just be a cousin ever how many times removed.

I know a lot of people who say they are descendants of nobility. Likely many here do as only the first sons could inherit and the second sons came here to make their fortunes.

macleod_crest1n.jpg

My Grandfather on my mother's side immigrated to America when he was in his 20's from Norway and moved to Minnesota, and later North Dakota where he met my grandmother. My Grandfather used to tell me stories about his line going all the way back to Erik the Red.

My Grandmother is half German and half Scottish, with her lines going all the way back to having several members of her clan (MacLean) being members of the Black Watch of Scotland, as well as one of them having lineage back to Robert the Bruce (yeah, the guy who was portrayed in the movie Braveheart). I remember her telling me stories about my ancestors in the late 70's and early 80's while I was living with them.

On my father's side? Not so much is known, but I do have his name and where he came from.

ummm... as I call, "Braveheart" portrayed William Wallace, not Robert the Bruce...

both were Scottish patriots, and I'd love to have a connection to William Wallace, but they're not the same guy...

Last edited:

ummm... as I call, "Braveheart" portrayed William Wallace, not Robert the Bruce...

both are Scottish patriots, and I'd love to have a connection to William Wallace, but they're not the same guy...

Robert the Bruce was ALSO portrayed in the movie Braveheart. He was William Wallace's friend who later screwed him over. Like I said, my Grandparents used to tell me stories about their ancestors, one of which was Robert the Bruce. Never said anything about William Wallace other than to refer to a movie that people are familiar with.

Only thing is, when I finally saw the movie in 1995, I was pretty disappointed to learn that one of my ancestors did a really crappy thing in betraying his friend. My Grandparents never mentioned anything about that, but it was good, because that spurred me into researching a bit of it for myself.

Granny says we come from a long line of drunken red-necks...

... she part Cajun an' part Injun...

... so she knows who she is...

... an' she'll kick yer lefty lib'ral butt if ya mess with her.
:eusa_shifty:

Last edited:

both are Scottish patriots, and I'd love to have a connection to William Wallace, but they're not the same guy...

Robert the Bruce was ALSO portrayed in the movie Braveheart. He was William Wallace's friend who later screwed him over. Like I said, my Grandparents used to tell me stories about their ancestors, one of which was Robert the Bruce. Never said anything about William Wallace other than to refer to a movie that people are familiar with.

Only thing is, when I finally saw the movie in 1995, I was pretty disappointed to learn that one of my ancestors did a really crappy thing in betraying his friend. My Grandparents never mentioned anything about that, but it was good, because that spurred me into researching a bit of it for myself.

Thanks, ABS... I'll go back and have another look at the facts...

Thanks, ABS... I'll go back and have another look at the facts...

btw, if you're indeed descended from Robert the Bruce, then you'n me are cousins... :)

my great grand parents had nick names, joe papa and joe mama...german

i can also trace some of my lones to the 1600, pennsylvania dutch era..quakers..4 letter last names..why make it difficult

others.... great-great-great grand father went by the name of champ and yes he fought for a short time

my grandparents, father side born in 1887 and 1892...never new my grandfather, died of tb in the late 30's

father ran a few races with bob mathias

Forum List

Back