Gen. David Petraeus Takes On Cheneyism

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Petraeus Takes On Cheneyism

Gen. David Petraeus, the military hero of the Republican (and even non-Republican) masses and the current leader of U.S. Central Command, cast himself as decidedly outside the Dick Cheney school of counter-terrorism thought on Sunday.

Appearing on Meet the Press, the general made a compelling case against torturing terrorist detainees, saying he found it far more pragmatic and beneficial to stick to methods authorized by the army field manual.

"I have always been on the record, in fact, since 2003, with the concept of living our values. And I think that whenever we've perhaps taken expedient measures, they've turned around and bitten us in the backside. We decided early on, in the 101st airborne division, we just said, we decided to obey the Geneva Conventions...

Petraeus wasn't done there. In another contrast with former Vice President Cheney -- as well as the vast majority of congressional Republicans -- he reiterated his support for closing Gitmo, albeit without a date-specific time frame.

As he noted, Petraeus has held these views for some time, so it's not surprising to hear him say it again. What does stand out is how infrequently he is invoked in the political debate on torture and Gitmo. The Obama administration, after all, has the endorsement of one of the most respected military figures of the modern age on two key policy disputes. And rarely do they or others mention it.

If you listen closely, you'll hear the majority of Republicans drop their support of him at once. However, he is a man of principle to say the least and I am glad he is speaking out about this.

Petreaus did an amazing job.

1. We should abide by the Geneva Convention.
2. Gitmo should be closed safely,
3. Terrorists have received trials no prob.
4. He supports the steps being taken to get rid of don't ask don't tell.
5. He made no objection to civilian trials for terrorists LIKE WERE HELD UNDER THE LAST ADMIN.

GEN. PETRAEUS: I have always been on the record, in fact, since 2003, with the concept of living our values. And I think that whenever we have, perhaps, taken expedient measures, they have turned around and bitten us in the backside. We decided early on in the 101st Airborne Division we're just going to--look, we just said we'd decide to obey the Geneva Convention, to, to move forward with that. That has, I think, stood elements in good stead. We have worked very hard over the years, indeed, to ensure that elements like the International Committee of the Red Cross and others who see the conduct of our detainee operations and so forth approve of them. Because in the cases where that is not true, we end up paying a price for it ultimately. Abu Ghraib and other situations like that are nonbiodegradables. They don't go away. The enemy continues to beat you with them like a stick in the Central Command area of responsibility. Beyond that, frankly, we have found that the use of the interrogation methods in the Army Field Manual that was given, the force of law by Congress, that that works. And...
Feb. 21: Petraeus, Pawlenty, roundtable - Meet the Press- msnbc.com

Petreaus did an amazing job.

1. We should abide by the Geneva Convention.
2. Gitmo should be closed safely,
3. Terrorists have received trials no prob.
4. He supports the steps being taken to get rid of don't ask don't tell.
5. He made no objection to civilian trials for terrorists LIKE WERE HELD UNDER THE LAST ADMIN.

GEN. PETRAEUS: I have always been on the record, in fact, since 2003, with the concept of living our values. And I think that whenever we have, perhaps, taken expedient measures, they have turned around and bitten us in the backside. We decided early on in the 101st Airborne Division we're just going to--look, we just said we'd decide to obey the Geneva Convention, to, to move forward with that. That has, I think, stood elements in good stead. We have worked very hard over the years, indeed, to ensure that elements like the International Committee of the Red Cross and others who see the conduct of our detainee operations and so forth approve of them. Because in the cases where that is not true, we end up paying a price for it ultimately. Abu Ghraib and other situations like that are nonbiodegradables. They don't go away. The enemy continues to beat you with them like a stick in the Central Command area of responsibility. Beyond that, frankly, we have found that the use of the interrogation methods in the Army Field Manual that was given, the force of law by Congress, that that works. And...
Feb. 21: Petraeus, Pawlenty, roundtable - Meet the Press- msnbc.com

All these things that the right accuse Obama for "endangering our national security" for. :eusa_think:

I don't know if it's true, I'm not saying it is, but on the news, it was said that only three terrorists had been tried by "Military Tribunal" by Bush and two of those three were let go by Bush.

Is that true?

Where are the Conservative posters? I'm sure they have an opinion on this..Seeing how much they loved the Gen when he wanted more troops...

The whacko rectionaries here are scrambling at the moment. But sleaze always tries to ooze under the door. They will be along shortly.

I notice a good portion of the righties enter the Colin Powell thread by attacking the man instead of addressing what he says. I wonder if they can pull anything out for this thread. :eusa_think:

"General Petraeus or General Betray Us?" reads the full-page ad, which cost the liberal group MoveOn.org approximately $65,000 and ran in section A of today's New York Times.

The ad accuses the general of "Cooking the Books for the White House" and asserts "General Petraeus is a military man constantly at war with the facts," citing optimistic statements the general has made about Iraq in the past.

MoveOn.org Ad Takes Aim at Petraeus - ABC News

so tell me, what changed about gen. petraeus besides his boss?

people crack me up. :lol:

he had horns and hooves when he worked for bush and now he's all that and a bag of chips.

:eusa_shhh:

Well, I think it's safe to say that most of us aren't members of moveon.org. I, for one, am pretty sure I said then that it was stupid.

yes?

or should we hold all repubs responsible for what teabaggers say?

"General Petraeus or General Betray Us?" reads the full-page ad, which cost the liberal group MoveOn.org approximately $65,000 and ran in section A of today's New York Times.

The ad accuses the general of "Cooking the Books for the White House" and asserts "General Petraeus is a military man constantly at war with the facts," citing optimistic statements the general has made about Iraq in the past.

he had horns and hooves when he worked for bush and now he's all that and a bag of chips.

It's a good thing I never was a member of moveon, linked to their website, or gave money to them. ;) :lol:

Petraeus Takes On Cheneyism

As he noted, Petraeus has held these views for some time, so it's not surprising to hear him say it again. What does stand out is how infrequently he is invoked in the political debate on torture and Gitmo. The Obama administration, after all, has the endorsement of one of the most respected military figures of the modern age on two key policy disputes. And rarely do they or others mention it.

If you listen closely, you'll hear the majority of Republicans drop their support of him at once. However, he is a man of principle to say the least and I am glad he is speaking out about this.

What you also have to take into consideration, is that Cheney is the original keyboard commando, but a lot more dangerous.

He actually DID send people to their deaths unnecessarily, even though he got 6 deferments himself during Viet Nam.

Nothing worse than a big mouth arsehole that has all the solutions to the world's problems, then sends others off to do his bidding, while confined the comfort of his desk. The guy is a disgrace to humanity....

Well, I think it's safe to say that most of us aren't members of moveon.org. I, for one, am pretty sure I said then that it was stupid.

yes?

or should we hold all repubs responsible for what teabaggers say?

whether one should or not, it seems to be the fashionable thing to do. both sides do it, and i think it's the main reason the political process is so dysfunctional

i wasn't addressing anyone here specifically, i was just commenting on it in general, so to speak. lousy pun, but i'm leaving it anyway.

Never been a Member of MoveOn. Support their work on HCR but other than that, Never been affiliated with them.

It does work both ways though. You once thought the Gen was the man..What do you think now?

I notice a good portion of the righties enter the Colin Powell thread by attacking the man instead of addressing what he says. I wonder if they can pull anything out for this thread. :eusa_think:
Why should they?

Did Patreus lie us into a war and claim he fully supported it?

and i think it's the main reason the political process is so dysfunctional

Having been on messageboards for the best part of 10 years, and listening a lot of that time to Americans and their political system, I have come to the conclusion that your political system is dysfunctional because it panders to special interests, ie, at it's core it is corrupt. Don't think that is what your FF's envisioned. Maybe the process they set up wasn't perfect after all.

Never been a Member of MoveOn. Support their work on HCR but other than that, Never been affiliated with them.

It does work both ways though. You once thought the Gen was the man..What do you think now?

actually, i never thought the general was the man. my area of military expertise is/was very small and naval in nature. military people whose opinion i respect said he was the man for the job and they appear to have been correct.

i opposed the war in 2002, and the war is the main reason i only voted for bush once.

i wouldn't have voted for bush at all, but al gore has always made me nauseous.

New Topics

Forum List

Back