Geminids peak tonight (12/13/2010)

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
For the first time in 6 years, I got out my smallest telescope (Televue Pronto) and set up to look at Jupiter and Uranus while waiting on the Geminids to rise. Already seen 9 and Betelguise is still below the horizon. COLD, PERFECT sky! Should have gotten the big one out (10" LX200), but I'm not as young as I used to be, and tricked out, its over 210 pounds.

Who else is an Astro-nerd?

Last edited:
I've got VERY dark skies, and they're still very faint. Radiant just rose, North of Orion about 10 degrees. Faint, but there are a LOT of them!

It will be worth the drive. I've quit counting, and the peak doesn't start for an hour yet.

They're getting brighter, and there are a LOT of them!

Damn its cold!

Screw the cold. The Geminids are my favorite.

And of course, it's raining here again. You getting any pics? If so, post 'em! :eusa_pray:

Ok. Its 12:30 CST and the radiant is directly overhead. For those of you interested, and those of you who can stand the cold, go out, lie down, and look straight up. I can guarantee at least 1 per minute, even in the cities. I'm seeing about 4 per minute, and at least one of those is brighter than Betelguise (which is a very bright star, for those who aren't astronomers).

I quit counting at 53, and that was 3 hours ago after about 40 minutes of watching. Tonight is the most meteors I've seen in one night since the 2001 Quadrantids, and probably the most I've ever seen, or ever will, in one night.

AWESOME show!

Even in the bitter cold!

The Leonid Meteor shower was named after:

1. Famous conductor Leonard Bernstein

2. In honor of 40th anniversary of Leonard Nimoy playing Dr. Spock on Star Trek

3. Humanitarian Leonid Brezhnev

4. The Constellation Leo (Yeah, right)

Forum List

Back