Geithner coming after your cellphone usage!

Feb 28, 2009
Tax Man's Target: The Mobile Phone - WSJ.com
The use of company-issued mobile phones could trigger new federal income taxes on millions of Americans as a "fringe benefit."

The Internal Revenue Service proposed employers assign 25% of an employee's annual phone expenses as a taxable benefit. Under that scenario, a worker in the 28% tax bracket, whose wireless device costs the company $1,500 a year, could see $105 in additional federal income tax.
Ahh, those evil work cellphone users! Must be punished!

Napolitano-750436.jpg

You just earned yourself a roving wiretap, you right-wing hatemonger!!!

The use of company-issued mobile phones could trigger new federal income taxes on millions of Americans as a "fringe benefit."

The Internal Revenue Service proposed employers assign 25% of an employee's annual phone expenses as a taxable benefit. Under that scenario, a worker in the 28% tax bracket, whose wireless device costs the company $1,500 a year, could see $105 in additional federal income tax.

Other benefits are taxed, why not cell phones?

before this bunch of damn dumb democwats gets done you will have a breath o meter tached to yer neck and will be charged with emitting co2 per every breath you take..

Other benefits are taxed, why not cell phones?

fair point regarding taxes, but then why are you such a tax loving citizen?

• Banned
Actually, hold up on the car wash.

This really isn't that bad of an idea. The law for this has been on the books for 20 years and wasn't enforceable. Think of the trillions of revenue we have lost that we should have been collecting the last 20 years!

Now, apparently they are adding teeth to it, making employers deduct the correct amount from your check. In 1989, when this law was passed, cellphones WERE a really expensive luxury item only CEOs and such had. Now most everyone has a work cellphone, look at the revenue this will generate!

fair point regarding taxes, but then why are you such a tax loving citizen?

Who said I was?

dammit, i just did that which i earlier accused you of....

you asked a question as to why not cell phones....let me ask you, do you then support this tax proposal?

This isn't a new tax proposal. Its merely going to start considering cell phones as benefits, which they are. If a company gives something to you thats of value, thats a benefit. I see no reason why it shouldn't be taxed.

Now, apparently they are adding teeth to it, making employers deduct the correct amount from your check. In 1989, when this law was passed, cellphones WERE a really expensive luxury item only CEOs and such had. Now most everyone has a work cellphone, look at the revenue this will generate!
You mean look at all the new spending this will generate, right? 'cause I KNOW you don't think that the Federal Government will use increased revenues to do anything as crazy as reduce the deficit or sock away toward it's unfunded liabilities. :cool:

Who said I was?

you asked a question as to why not cell phones....let me ask you, do you then support this tax proposal?

This isn't a new tax proposal. Its merely going to start considering cell phones as benefits, which they are. If a company gives something to you thats of value, thats a benefit. I see no reason why it shouldn't be taxed.

so you want it to be taxed?

You mean look at all the new spending this will generate, right? 'cause I KNOW you don't think that the Federal Government will use increased revenues to do anything as crazy as reduce the deficit or sock away toward it's unfunded liabilities. :cool:
They have to find revenue somewhere, to cover their trillions of overspending. Adding teeth to an existing, 20 year-old law in order to make it actually work as intended is good governing.

so you want it to be taxed?
It's the law of the land for it to be taxed, since 1989.

I'll just cheat on my taxes like that asshole did.

They have to find revenue somewhere, to cover their trillions of overspending. Adding teeth to an existing, 20 year-old law in order to make it actually work as intended is good governing.
I would agree with you if that's what it represented, however the MO in Washington goes like this ...

"Hey guys we just found another $20 billion in revenue"
"Great! now we can approve that $60 billion for those new programs we couldn't afford last year!"

So, the idea of giving the government additional money over and above the tribute they already extort just doesn't work for me, even if they did finally remember that they decided to give themselves the power to steal it years ago.

I would agree with you if that's what it represented, however the MO in Washington goes like this ...

"Hey guys we just found another $20 billion in revenue"
"Great! now we can approve that $60 billion for those new programs we couldn't afford last year!"

So, the idea of giving the government additional money over and above the tribute they already extort just doesn't work for me, even if they did finally remember that they decided to give themselves the power to steal it years ago.
Oh, I completely understand where you're coming from.

I don't have a cell phone, and I have never had a company cell phone. I had to stop at a coin operated phone to call in. So, basically I could care less if the cell phone users get taxed, but it just seems the gooberment is sucking on straws to find inventive ways to create revenue since they have spent more that they have income. Screw the gooberment. Let them sink. Let their money spending programs fail. That's the only way the left wing liberal idiots are going to learn. Dry up their income. Taxation without representation has never been legal in the United States. If your elected officials continue to support these idiotic spending sprees by the gooberment, fire them and hire some more intelligent and conservative representatives. Take charge of your own country.

Forum List

Back