Geert Wilders on trial for hate speech

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
AMSTERDAM -- Dutch anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders went on trial Monday for alleged hate speech, even as his popularity and influence in the Netherlands are near all time highs.

Prosecutors say Wilders incited hatred against Muslims with remarks comparing Islam to Naziism and by calling for a ban on the Quran. Wilders argues he has a right to freedom of speech and his remarks were within the bounds of the law.

If convicted, he faces up to a year in prison. He could keep his seat in parliament.

On his Twitter account, Wilders said the start of his trial was a "terrible day."

"The freedom of expression of at least 1.5 million people is standing trial together with me," he wrote, referring to the voters that made his Freedom Party the third-largest in national elections in June.

Among more than 100 remarks his opponents see as offensive, an editorial in newspaper De Volkskrant stands out.

"I've had enough of Islam in the Netherlands; let not one more Muslim immigrate," he wrote in the paper. "I've had enough of the Quran in the Netherlands: Forbid that fascist book."

FOXNews.com - Anti-Islam Dutch Leader Wilders Goes on Trial

Predictions?

AMSTERDAM -- Dutch anti-Islam politician Geert Wilders went on trial Monday for alleged hate speech, even as his popularity and influence in the Netherlands are near all time highs.

Prosecutors say Wilders incited hatred against Muslims with remarks comparing Islam to Naziism and by calling for a ban on the Quran. Wilders argues he has a right to freedom of speech and his remarks were within the bounds of the law.

If convicted, he faces up to a year in prison. He could keep his seat in parliament.

On his Twitter account, Wilders said the start of his trial was a "terrible day."

"The freedom of expression of at least 1.5 million people is standing trial together with me," he wrote, referring to the voters that made his Freedom Party the third-largest in national elections in June.

Among more than 100 remarks his opponents see as offensive, an editorial in newspaper De Volkskrant stands out.

"I've had enough of Islam in the Netherlands; let not one more Muslim immigrate," he wrote in the paper. "I've had enough of the Quran in the Netherlands: Forbid that fascist book."

FOXNews.com - Anti-Islam Dutch Leader Wilders Goes on Trial

Predictions?

Freedom of speech is dead in Europe along with the coming Muslim leadership.

Well I couldn't have predicted this and can't wait to find what the government has to say when they do finish up:

Prosecutors ask for Wilders acquittal on all charges | Reuters

Prosecutors ask for Wilders acquittal on all charges
Analysis & Opinion

* Wilders’s anti-Islam film screened in Dutch court
* Dutch anti-Islam lawmaker Wilders challenges judges at hate speech trial

AMSTERDAM | Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:50am EDT

AMSTERDAM Oct 15 (Reuters) - Prosecutors asked a Dutch court on Friday to acquit anti-immigration lawmaker Geert Wilders on charges of inciting hatred and discrimination against Muslims.

Prosecutors, who had already called on the court to drop a charge that Wilders insulted Muslims by comparing Islam to Nazism, said his comments targeted Islam and not Muslims as a group. They said he also had the right as a politician to make statements about perceived problems in society.

The complaint

The complaint

On December 3rd 2009 the writ of summons was served on Geert Wilders. He is charged with five counts;

* Group defamation (article 137c of the Dutch Criminal Code).
* Inciting hatred against people, i.e. Muslims, on account of their religion (article 137 of the Dutch Criminal Code).
* Inciting discrimination against people, i.e. Muslims, on account of their religion (article 137d of the Dutch Criminal Code).
* Inciting hatred against people, i.e. non-western ethnic minorities and/or Moroccans, on account of their race (article 137d of the Dutch Criminal Code).
* Inciting discrimination against people, i.e. non-western ethnic minorities and/or Moroccans, on account of their race (article 137d of the Dutch Criminal Code).

I don't know Dutch law, so no predictions.

Under US law, the charges don't stand a chance.

Seems the court could still convict, but pretty hard when prosecutor says in open court that he should be acquitted. :lol:

Not guilty on all counts.

The public prosecution department on Friday afternoon stated that Geert Wilders is not guilty of discriminating against Muslims. Earlier on Friday it announced he should also be found not guilty of inciting hatred.

Prosecutors Birgit van Roessel and Paul Velleman reached their conclusions after a careful reading of interviews with and articles by the anti-Islam politician and a viewing of his anti-Koran film Fitna.

DutchNews.nl - Wilders not guilty on all counts - Update

Really? Have these youngins been jailed yet?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ8KxyKmNsQ&NR=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ8KxyKmNsQ&NR=1[/ame]

"Kill them Jews! Dirty Jews! Kill them Jews! To the gas! Hamas, hamas..."

Freedom of speech has won a great victory in the Netherlands!!!

Unless you mention the jews or the so call holocaust in a negative way.

The you go to prison for sure. :doubt:

When can we expect freedom of speech in the fascist Arab and Muslim countries, Muhammad?

Mention the Turk's complicity in the Armenian Holocaust in Turkey and go to prison, for sure.

Criticize an Arab Muslim tyrant and be executed, for sure

Last edited:
Not guilty on all counts.

The public prosecution department on Friday afternoon stated that Geert Wilders is not guilty of discriminating against Muslims. Earlier on Friday it announced he should also be found not guilty of inciting hatred.

Prosecutors Birgit van Roessel and Paul Velleman reached their conclusions after a careful reading of interviews with and articles by the anti-Islam politician and a viewing of his anti-Koran film Fitna.

DutchNews.nl - Wilders not guilty on all counts - Update
But his trial continues: the prosecutors’ decision is not final. A judge will issue a ruling on November 5, and he doesn’t have to follow the prosecutors’ recommendations.

How can you claim to be for freedom of speech while calling for banning a book?

I think it is because the book is believed to be so threatening to the freedom of speech that it has to be banned. He believes Islam is an ideology that does not allow freedom of speech. And that for the greater good of protecting freedom of speech people should fight this Islamic ideology by banning the book. (at least that is what I think he thinks)

An example to clarify: the danish mohammed cartoons controversy

Forum List

Back