Gee, This Election Could Take 'Til 2008 to Be Decided

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I wonder if they'll spend more $ from the times the polls close on lawyers, then they did on the campaigns?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/07/19/politics/campaign/19VOTE.html?hp

excerpts:

Aides to Mr. Kerry say the campaign is taking the unusual step of setting up a nationwide legal network under its own umbrella, rather than relying, as in the past, on lawyers associated with state Democratic parties. The aides said they were recruiting people based on their skills as litigators and election lawyers, rather than rewarding political connections or big donors.

Lawyers for the campaign are gathering intelligence and preparing litigation over the ballot machines being used and the rules concerning how voters will be registered or their votes disqualified. In some cases, the lawyers are compiling dossiers on the people involved and their track records on enforcing voting rights....

The Kerry campaign's legal efforts are hardly occurring in a vacuum.

The Bush-Cheney campaign says it will have party lawyers in every state, covering 30,000 precincts. An affiliated group, the Republican National Lawyers Association, held a two-day training session in Milwaukee over the weekend on "how to promote ballot access to all qualified voters," according to the group's Web site.

Id love to know how Kerry is going to challenge a landslide victory for Bush. Maybe if it was close but it wont be.

Id love to know how Kerry is going to challenge a landslide victory for Bush. Maybe if it was close but it wont be.

I'd like to think you're right. If that is going to be the case, they better do a better job of getting out the message, like the Safire piece this morning.

Kathianne said:
I wonder if they'll spend more $ from the times the polls close on lawyers, then they did on the campaigns?

excerpts:

I'm going to be very interested in what kind of coverage this gets. My hope is lots!!!! Do people REALLY want to go through that crap on even a larger scale?? A vote for the only person who has a chance at a landslide could possibly prevent it .

Kathianne said:

excerpts:

now we really know why he chose Edwards as a running mate. He needs the connections into trial lawyers and he needs somebody, such as Edwards, to be the point man during his legal battle. It is a sad shape the Democrats have put our political system in. I blame them as they are the constructors of the party of the "needy" that use all the dirty tricks they can to win as winning is all they care about. It all goes hand in hand with their victimization mentality and their personal insecurities that run their daily lives.

I would hope no candidate would have the balls to put the country through that fiasco again. I fear that same mess thought if it is a close election.Can you imagine waiting again to find out who is President? I don't see many states being that close. Let's just hope they have their system straight down there in Florida. The Dems down there were pretty damn determined,no matter what the real vote count was.

Unless its an overwhelming defeat (not as likely to happen as some would think) you can rest assured that there will be challenges. It was inevitable, given the bipolar two party system that we have. You will see little caring for what they put the nation through so long as they (meaning both parties) see a chance for furthering their political agenda.

I do agree,DK. Although I wonder why what happened in 2000 had not happened before? Just seems strange,unless there is something I don't know about.

krisy said:
I do agree,DK. Although I wonder why what happened in 2000 had not happened before? Just seems strange,unless there is something I don't know about.

florida was bound to be contested because the states governor is brother to one of the candidates. Top that off with the inuendo of revised voters lists and the closeness of the outcome......and there you have it.

Forum List

Back