GE Forcing emplyees to drive Chevy Volt

This reminds me of when GE forced their American employees to sign a pledge promising to buy the new low energy light bulbs. The only problem with that was that all the new low energy bulbs were being produced in China, not the US.

Hey Zander..most Financial firms force you to go through a drug screening.

What's your thoughts on that?

As I explained in my previous post, I have no issue with GE forcing their employees to drive these cars, or any other car for that matter. They can do whatever they like within the law. Drug screenings fall into the same arena- it's up to the company. Nobody is forced to work at a company.

The company wants to save money on its fleet usage expense, and buy American.

Whether you like the Volt or not, isn't this what we WANT our companies to be doing?

I agree, Paulie... No one is forcing anybody to do anything.

Any employees who opt out of the Volt program will not be compensated for their expenses. Those who do choose to drive the Volt will be reimbursed for public charging and home charging costs, in addition to gas uses.

I don't see how there's anything bad about this. A private sector company invested a large amount of money in an initiative that benefits the American economy, and it didn't require a government mandate to make it happen.

There's just no pleasing some people.

which co. are you talking about? GM or GE....?

because GM most certainly is/was subsidized, plus the volt is subsidized on an individual basis, GE is free to do what they wish of course BUT they are subsidizing the Volt for its employees, which again is their right, BUT if were a stock holder? I'd say hell no.

Any guesses why field engineers who are routinely out in the field are exempt?

While stationed in New Orleans I was forced to drive an un-air conditioned AMC Gremlin all over the city, during the summer. I did 4 months as the base duty driver. White cotton uniform, vinyl seats, 90% humidity equals a shear sticky mess.

As I explained in my previous post, I have no issue with GE forcing their employees to drive these cars, or any other car for that matter. They can do whatever they like within the law. Drug screenings fall into the same arena- it's up to the company. Nobody is forced to work at a company.

So your point here is you have no point.

Got it.

Got it.

Don't you have another thread you have to troll tonight?

Got it.

Don't you have another thread you have to troll tonight?

His understudy is working tonight.

I don't have a problem with this. Electric Cars are the wave of the future! They must succeed! It might take decades, but is needed! First generations always have huge issues, challenges and are expensive. Take the cell phone. It was large heavy and came in a bag. It cost $5 a min! Only the rich of the rich could get them. Then the bag went away, but the expense stayed. Slowly but surely they became smaller, cheaper and better.

We need people to buy them in the 1st generation to learn from the errors and get the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on and so forth better! It's important and glad to see someone buying them, even if its a corp forcing them onto their employees!

A prime example of Crony Capitalism. GE Forcing employees to drive Chevy Volt.

Source: GE

General Motors and General Electric are two companies that have been in the political crosshairs lately. GM stands accused of “crony capitalism,” while GE is under fire for paying no Federal income taxes in 2010. The two companies share more than that though, with GE placing an order for 12,000 Chevy Volts and other hybrid vehicles.

A memo leaked to Green Car Reports lays out GE’s plans for their new fleet of Volts, and as expected, it has some people crying foul.

The memo, sent to employees of GE Healthcare Americas team explains that all sedan, crossover, and minivan purchases in 2012 will be replaced by the Chevy Volt. Only field engineers are exempt from having to drive a company Volt.

GE will offer estimates for installation Level 2 Charging Stations, though all-gas use will be allowed when there is no electric option. Any employees who opt out of the Volt program will not be compensated for their expenses. Those who do choose to drive the Volt will be reimbursed for public charging and home charging costs, in addition to gas uses.

I don't have a problem with this. Electric Cars are the wave of the future! They must succeed! It might take decades, but is needed! First generations always have huge issues, challenges and are expensive. Take the cell phone. It was large heavy and came in a bag. It cost $5 a min! Only the rich of the rich could get them. Then the bag went away, but the expense stayed. Slowly but surely they became smaller, cheaper and better.

We need people to buy them in the 1st generation to learn from the errors and get the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and so on and so forth better! It's important and glad to see someone buying them, even if its a corp forcing them onto their employees!

A prime example of Crony Capitalism. GE Forcing employees to drive Chevy Volt.

Source: GE

General Motors and General Electric are two companies that have been in the political crosshairs lately. GM stands accused of “crony capitalism,” while GE is under fire for paying no Federal income taxes in 2010. The two companies share more than that though, with GE placing an order for 12,000 Chevy Volts and other hybrid vehicles.

A memo leaked to Green Car Reports lays out GE’s plans for their new fleet of Volts, and as expected, it has some people crying foul.

The memo, sent to employees of GE Healthcare Americas team explains that all sedan, crossover, and minivan purchases in 2012 will be replaced by the Chevy Volt. Only field engineers are exempt from having to drive a company Volt.

GE will offer estimates for installation Level 2 Charging Stations, though all-gas use will be allowed when there is no electric option. Any employees who opt out of the Volt program will not be compensated for their expenses. Those who do choose to drive the Volt will be reimbursed for public charging and home charging costs, in addition to gas uses.

In the interim, natural gas is easier and more cost effective.

Any employees who opt out of the Volt program will not be compensated for their expenses. Those who do choose to drive the Volt will be reimbursed for public charging and home charging costs, in addition to gas uses.

I don't see how there's anything bad about this. A private sector company invested a large amount of money in an initiative that benefits the American economy, and it didn't require a government mandate to make it happen.

First of all, it did not benefit the American economy any more than if they purchased other vehicles.

Secondly, I have no problem with GE buying these vehicles - they are a smart corporation that paid ZERO in taxes after earning record profits last year. It pays to cozy up to the man in charge - just ask the executives and investors at Solyndra.

My issue is the unfair advantage that GM (who by the way owes the US taxpayer over $30 billion that will NEVER be paid back) was given to push these clunkers. There is a $10,000 tax credit to GE for every one of these they bought. How is that helping our budget? If these cars are so wonderful, why the massive tax credit?
You can get the same tax credit. And btw, George Bush is the one that started the tax credit program for hybrid vehicles. :)

First of all, it did not benefit the American economy any more than if they purchased other vehicles.

Secondly, I have no problem with GE buying these vehicles - they are a smart corporation that paid ZERO in taxes after earning record profits last year. It pays to cozy up to the man in charge - just ask the executives and investors at Solyndra.

My issue is the unfair advantage that GM (who by the way owes the US taxpayer over $30 billion that will NEVER be paid back) was given to push these clunkers. There is a $10,000 tax credit to GE for every one of these they bought. How is that helping our budget? If these cars are so wonderful, why the massive tax credit?

Of course it benefits the US economy. Keeping dollars within our shores is beneficial at a time when trade deficits are outrageous. We need that money circulating in OUR economy, not Japan's.

I don't know if they're wonderful cars or not. I'd LOVE to own a green car, but the main reason I don't is because they all look like fagmobiles. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, and I can afford not to own one. If they made them look like something a man can be proud to drive, I'd buy one in a second.

As far as the tax credit, I could maybe see how that's crony capitalism if our tax dollars are being given to GE as incentive to buy a certain product from a certain company.

Can I see a link on that?

Of course it benefits the US economy. Keeping dollars within our shores is beneficial at a time when trade deficits are outrageous. We need that money circulating in OUR economy, not Japan's.

I don't know if they're wonderful cars or not. I'd LOVE to own a green car, but the main reason I don't is because they all look like fagmobiles. I wouldn't be caught dead in one, and I can afford not to own one. If they made them look like something a man can be proud to drive, I'd buy one in a second.

As far as the tax credit, I could maybe see how that's crony capitalism if our tax dollars are being given to GE as incentive to buy a certain product from a certain company.

The tax credit was $7,500 and Obama wants it increased to $10,000 per vehicle. Unlike a tax deduction- a credit comes right off the taxes due. If you were supposed to pay $15,000 in federal taxes and bought a VOLT - your bill would be $7500 after taking the credit.

Chevy Volt Federal Tax Credit – Form 8936 | MyChevroletVolt.com
Chevrolet Volt Tax Incentives and Rebates | MyChevroletVolt.com
Obama promotes proposed $10,000 Volt tax credit | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

As for the idea of electric cars- I am all for them. The Tesla is a very "manly" electric. It also goes for over $100K....

Last edited:

The tax credit was $7,500 and Obama wants it increased to $10,000 per vehicle. Unlike a tax deduction- a credit comes right off the taxes due. If you were supposed to pay $15,000 in federal taxes and bought a VOLT - your bill would be $7500 after taking the credit.

Obama promotes proposed $10,000 Volt tax credit | Campaign 2012 | Washington Examiner

As for the idea of electric cars- I am all for them. The Tesla is a very "manly" electric. It also goes for over $100K....

I'm not cool with tax credits, but you can understand why GE would want to take advantage of it, right?

Do you have kids? I bet you take advantage of that tax credit, or did when they were dependents.

I'm not cool with tax credits, but you can understand why GE would want to take advantage of it, right?

Do you have kids? I bet you take advantage of that tax credit, or did when they were dependents.
I have no problem with GE taking advantage of stupid government policies, that is just smart business. GE has been feasting at the "green technology" trough for quite some time. My issue is the stupid government policy.

Forum List

Back