GD thieving banks!

Sweet Willy

Rookie
May 20, 2009
I just had a rather disturbing incident over at Wachovia bank.

I had a check for $150 someone wrote me for money they owed me. I stopped by their bank to cash it. The teller informs me there is a $5 charge to cash the check. I said "What? Wait a minute, this check is drawn on your bank." Teller still insist because I don't have an account there that I must pay $5 to cash the check. But wait, "don't you already charge these people to handle their money? And now you want to charge me too?" Teller simply reapts that if I want the check cashed, it's $5.

So I step aside and call the owner of the business that wrote the check. The owner has no idea why they want $5 to cash the check. She tells me to go ahead and cash it, just bring her a reciept and she'll give me the $5.

So, I go back to the teller. She gives me $145 and tells me to have a nice day. "Can I get a reciept please?" She looks bewildered. "A reciept for what?" she ask. "For the $5" I say. After a long conversation with the teller and eventually the branch manager, I get no receipt.

WTF is going on here? It's fucked up enough that you charge me $5 to cash a check that you are already charging someone else to handle. Now, you can't give me a reciept for services provided? Do you see what is going on here? These crooks are taking $5 a pop under the table to cash checks. They aren't recording the transaction as revenue from services provided. How many $5 fees is Wachovia collecting a day? Thousands of dollars? And not reporting it as a transcaction? Are they paying their taxes on this revenue?

Lousy, cheating, lying mother fuckers.

I don't get that either.

Why didn't they give you a receipt?

And the check was from THIER bank, correct?

That is messed up, unless I'm missing something.

I had a check for $150 someone wrote me for money they owed me. I stopped by their bank to cash it. The teller informs me there is a $5 charge to cash the check. I said "What? Wait a minute, this check is drawn on your bank." Teller still insist because I don't have an account there that I must pay $5 to cash the check. But wait, "don't you already charge these people to handle their money? And now you want to charge me too?" Teller simply reapts that if I want the check cashed, it's $5.

So I step aside and call the owner of the business that wrote the check. The owner has no idea why they want $5 to cash the check. She tells me to go ahead and cash it, just bring her a reciept and she'll give me the $5.

So, I go back to the teller. She gives me $145 and tells me to have a nice day. "Can I get a reciept please?" She looks bewildered. "A reciept for what?" she ask. "For the $5" I say. After a long conversation with the teller and eventually the branch manager, I get no receipt.

WTF is going on here? It's fucked up enough that you charge me $5 to cash a check that you are already charging someone else to handle. Now, you can't give me a reciept for services provided? Do you see what is going on here? These crooks are taking $5 a pop under the table to cash checks. They aren't recording the transaction as revenue from services provided. How many $5 fees is Wachovia collecting a day? Thousands of dollars? And not reporting it as a transcaction? Are they paying their taxes on this revenue?

You should have called 911.

• Banned
I don't get that either.

Yes, the check was drawn on Wachovia. I went to Wachovia. Because I don't have an accoiunt there, they charge $5 to cash a check drawn on account that is theirs.

The only reciept they could give me showed $150 on it, for the cashed check. Nothing to reflect the damned $5 they charged me to cash it. The reciept they gave me makes it look like I walked out with $150 and they didn't take $5.

It looks like a real scam.

• Banned

I gave it serious consideration. I don;t know that it was a direct crime but somone needs to check this out and find out what Wachovia is doing with all these unrecorded $5 fees.

I don't get that either.

Yes, the check was drawn on Wachovia. I went to Wachovia. Because I don't have an accoiunt there, they charge $5 to cash a check drawn on account that is theirs.

The only reciept they could give me showed $150 on it, for the cashed check. Nothing to reflect the damned $5 they charged me to cash it. The reciept they gave me makes it look like I walked out with $150 and they didn't take $5.

You should say that you cannot reconcile the money that you received with the amount listed on the receipt.

They either need to give you $150 cash, or they need to give you a receipt listing the $5 charge.

Otherwise, they can give you back the check.

I gave it serious consideration. I don;t know that it was a direct crime but somone needs to check this out and find out what Wachovia is doing with all these unrecorded $5 fees.

Call John Stossel.

"Give Me a (Fuckin') Break!"

• Banned
I don't get that either.

You should say that you cannot reconcile the money that you received with the amount listed on the receipt.

They either need to give you $150 cash, or they need to give you a receipt listing the $5 charge.

I thought about asking for the check back. Didn't want to make a big scene out of it but the longer I thought about it, the more pissed off I got.

Now I want to find out how many banks are in this under the table check cahsing fee business.

B of A has been doing that kind of thing as long as I can remember if you don't have an account with them.

I'm not entirely sure about this but I think any time somebody charges you a fee, which is in fact a sale, they are required by law to give you a receipt. Where are all the shade tree lawyers on this board?

I thought about asking for the check back. Didn't want to make a big scene out of it but the longer I thought about it, the more pissed off I got.

Now I want to find out how many banks are in this under the table check cahsing fee business.
first i've heard of them charging a fee to cash a check drawn on their own bank

A quick Google search turns up all kinds of bitching about this. Appears to be a fairly new policy at a number of banks.

short time ago I accepted a $300 personal check as partial payment for a vehicle. Rather than depositing the check in my B of A account, and running the risk of a bounced check charge from my bank if it failed to clear, I took it to Chase Bank, which it was drawn on to cash it. Since I was not a Chase customer, they nailed me for $5 to cash the check. Their rationale was that they were providing a service to a non-bank customer. In bit**ing about this to my friends, I was told that most, if not all banks have this rapacious policy. I am considering donning my Crusader Rabbit costume, and pursuing this with the AZ Banking Department and any other regulatory agency in the loop. Have I lost my mind?
$5 Charge to cash a check - Page 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A client paid me by check, drawn off a Wachovia Bank business account. I've had it for about a week now, and passing by a Wachovia branch today, I stopped to cash it.

Teller: "May I help you sir?"

Me: "Yes, someone has paid me through an account drawn from this bank and I'd like to cash the check."

Teller: "Do you have any ID?"

[HAND HER DRIVER'S LICENSE]

Teller: "Do you have another ID to back this one up?"

[HAND HER MY UNIVERSITY ID]

Teller: "Thank you very much, Mr. _______ (attempts my name and gets it correct).

Me: "Very good, <small talk here>."

Teller: "Now, I need to let you know that there's a $5 fee for cashing this check."

Me: "$5 fee, for what?"

Teller: "It's drawn off a business account and we charge $5 to cash checks drawn off a business account. If I write you a personal check, there would be no fee."

Me: "But what's the fee for?"

Teller: "To offset the costs of the account."

Me: "Look, I'm not arguing with you here, but what difference would it make in the processing of a check if it was a personal check or a business check? They're both handled the same way."

Teller: [INSERT ROBOTIC ANSWER HERE, USED TO DEFLECT INQUIRIES INTO RIPOFF FEES] You could avoid the fee by simply depositing it into your account.

Me: "I think I'll do that. When someone pays me $300, I want $300, not $295."

Teller: "I understand completely, that's why I mentioned the fee."

Me: [PLEASANTRIES, GOODBYE]

Then I go to my bank and they tell me that they do the same thing. Oh well, I just deposited it as usual for no fees.

What a fucing rip off. A fee to cash a fucing check. Fees, fees, fees.
$5 fee to cash a check? WTF? - SpeedGuide.net Broadband Community

Chase charges $5 to cash a check. My husband has an account with them and I went to cash a check he had written me. They said that there would be a $5 charge because I didn't have an account with them. I'm so cheap, LOL, I took the check back and just deposited it into my credit union.
Bank refused to cash check! (paycheck, suing, benefits, accounts) - Personal Finance - debt, loans, credit cards, banks, insurance... - Page 2 - City-Data Forum

What a rip off.

B of A has been doing that kind of thing as long as I can remember if you don't have an account with them.
even if the check was drawn on BofA?

A quick Google search turns up all kinds of bitching about this. Appears to be a fairly new policy at a number of banks.

short time ago I accepted a $300 personal check as partial payment for a vehicle. Rather than depositing the check in my B of A account, and running the risk of a bounced check charge from my bank if it failed to clear, I took it to Chase Bank, which it was drawn on to cash it. Since I was not a Chase customer, they nailed me for $5 to cash the check. Their rationale was that they were providing a service to a non-bank customer. In bit**ing about this to my friends, I was told that most, if not all banks have this rapacious policy. I am considering donning my Crusader Rabbit costume, and pursuing this with the AZ Banking Department and any other regulatory agency in the loop. Have I lost my mind?
$5 Charge to cash a check - Page 2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A client paid me by check, drawn off a Wachovia Bank business account. I've had it for about a week now, and passing by a Wachovia branch today, I stopped to cash it.

Teller: "May I help you sir?"

Me: "Yes, someone has paid me through an account drawn from this bank and I'd like to cash the check."

Teller: "Do you have any ID?"

[HAND HER DRIVER'S LICENSE]

Teller: "Do you have another ID to back this one up?"

[HAND HER MY UNIVERSITY ID]

Teller: "Thank you very much, Mr. _______ (attempts my name and gets it correct).

Me: "Very good, <small talk here>."

Teller: "Now, I need to let you know that there's a $5 fee for cashing this check."

Me: "$5 fee, for what?"

Teller: "It's drawn off a business account and we charge $5 to cash checks drawn off a business account. If I write you a personal check, there would be no fee."

Me: "But what's the fee for?"

Teller: "To offset the costs of the account."

Me: "Look, I'm not arguing with you here, but what difference would it make in the processing of a check if it was a personal check or a business check? They're both handled the same way."

Teller: [INSERT ROBOTIC ANSWER HERE, USED TO DEFLECT INQUIRIES INTO RIPOFF FEES] You could avoid the fee by simply depositing it into your account.

Me: "I think I'll do that. When someone pays me $300, I want $300, not $295."

Teller: "I understand completely, that's why I mentioned the fee."

Me: [PLEASANTRIES, GOODBYE]

Then I go to my bank and they tell me that they do the same thing. Oh well, I just deposited it as usual for no fees.

What a fucing rip off. A fee to cash a fucing check. Fees, fees, fees.
$5 fee to cash a check? WTF? - SpeedGuide.net Broadband Community

Chase charges $5 to cash a check. My husband has an account with them and I went to cash a check he had written me. They said that there would be a $5 charge because I didn't have an account with them. I'm so cheap, LOL, I took the check back and just deposited it into my credit union.
Bank refused to cash check! (paycheck, suing, benefits, accounts) - Personal Finance - debt, loans, credit cards, banks, insurance... - Page 2 - City-Data Forum

What a rip off.
holy SHIT!!!!!!

this is SO wrong

And banks, by holding your large deposits for a few days before allowing you to draw from them are really kiting....something you'd be in legal trouble for. For them, totally legal.

And banks, by holding your large deposits for a few days before allowing you to draw from them are really kiting....something you'd be in legal trouble for. For them, totally legal.
this is why i do direct deposit
i once had a bank tell me they could cash or deposit my payroll check because the date on it was for the next day(strange thing that they got our checks a day eary) but then i had written a post dated check to someone(a mix up at the place caused it to be sent in too eary) and they dinged my account for an over draft

Yep banks are instituting all kinds of new fees. And guess who owns most of them now. Your ever loving government and you wonder why it seems like a scam.

Yep banks are instituting all kinds of new fees. And guess who owns most of them now. Your ever loving government and you wonder why it seems like a scam.

According to Wachovia, BoA, Chase and BB&T, they've all been doing it for several years now. It wasn't caused by the bail outs. But you do always sound so cute when you blame the government!

Forum List

Back