GCSO could lose its K9 if recreational marijuana is legalized

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Greenlee County Sheriff’s Deputy Robert Carrasco is convinced his partner is among the best in the business, but if voters legalize marijuana in November, his partner could be out of a job.
His partner is Chase, a four-year-old black Golden Retriever who sniffs out drugs.
Chase cannot differentiate between marijuana and other types of illegal substances. If recreational marijuana is legalized, Chase’s finds may be argued in court, Carrasco said.

“The newer dogs that I’ve seen aren’t being trained to alert for marijuana,” Carrasco said. “They’re being trained to alert for cell phones, cocaine, and currency.”
Chase loves to find the drugs, he said.
Chase is one of the best drug-sniffing dogs in the state because he works quickly and is incredibly accurate, Carrasco said.

Awe. I didn't realize they could not be trained or retrained to find other things.

The dogs don't "love to find the drugs", they love the reward of the chewy toy they are trained with.
He can still have his chewy toy without infringing on the the rights of adults to make their own personal choices.

Greenlee County Sheriff’s Deputy Robert Carrasco is convinced his partner is among the best in the business, but if voters legalize marijuana in November, his partner could be out of a job.
His partner is Chase, a four-year-old black Golden Retriever who sniffs out drugs.
Chase cannot differentiate between marijuana and other types of illegal substances. If recreational marijuana is legalized, Chase’s finds may be argued in court, Carrasco said.

“The newer dogs that I’ve seen aren’t being trained to alert for marijuana,” Carrasco said. “They’re being trained to alert for cell phones, cocaine, and currency.”
Chase loves to find the drugs, he said.
Chase is one of the best drug-sniffing dogs in the state because he works quickly and is incredibly accurate, Carrasco said.

Awe. I didn't realize they could not be trained or retrained to find other things.

With a sniffer that good maybe he can be trained to sniff out liberal brains.
Talk about a tough job!

Forum List

Back