Gayest ad campaign ever?

What does it mean to you?

I almost find those ads insulting. If homosexuals appropriated the word gay as slang, who are they to say someone else can't appropriate it as slang?

Though I actually have no clue as to whose bright idea it was to use the word gay to refer to gays.

Wait? Does this mean us whiteys can use the N word too? Or is that DIFFERENT?
What do you think? Wasn't the word ****** specifically made up to refer to blacks, and isn't ****** now meant to be an insult as a label for blacks? I don't think gay is meant to be an insult as a label for gays:cuckoo:...for a while a lot of my kids friends called things gangsta...I think that is more along the same lines as calling something gay.

I almost find those ads insulting. If homosexuals appropriated the word gay as slang, who are they to say someone else can't appropriate it as slang?

Though I actually have no clue as to whose bright idea it was to use the word gay to refer to gays.

What do you think? Wasn't the word ****** specifically made up to refer to blacks, and isn't ****** now meant to be an insult as a label for blacks? I don't think gay is meant to be an insult as a label for gays:cuckoo:...for a while a lot of my kids friends called things gangsta...I think that is more along the same lines as calling something gay.

Wrong again. If Blacks can call each other ******* and it is no insult, then guess what? And the whole point is that some people DO THINK calling something or someone Gay is an insult.

YOU decided it is fine for Straights to use Gay so why not white's and ******?

WARNING WARNING..... Anyone STUPID enough to call a black person a ****** if they are white and not close personal friends may suffer unexpected trauma and a major beat down.

I was under the impression that the word "******" meant something else before they started calling black peopel that. Didnt it use to mean a "dirty person" or something like that? If it started off being used specifically for black people, then i have to side with Ravi on this one.

You cant take a word, and start using it to refer to you and your friends, to only get mad when someone is using the word how it was originally supposed to be used, or a another newly created version of their own. Its a very good point.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the word "******" meant something else before they started calling black peopel that. Didnt it use to mean a "dirty person" or something like that?

Huh.

I always just assumed it's origins were rooted in southern slave owners not being able to properly pronounce negro. Or rather simply a lazy pronunciation.

Last edited:

I was under the impression that the word "******" meant something else before they started calling black peopel that. Didnt it use to mean a "dirty person" or something like that? If it started off being used specifically for black people, then i have to side with Ravi on this one.

You cant take a word, and start using it to refer to you and your friends, to only get mad when someone is using the word how it was originally supposed to be used, or a another newly created version of their own. Its a very good point.
I think at one time the word ****** was not meant as an insult, but at the same time it was not a word the slaves chose to be called themselves. It has always referred to black people, however.

I was under the impression that the word "******" meant something else before they started calling black peopel that. Didnt it use to mean a "dirty person" or something like that?

Huh.

I always just assumed it's origins were rooted in southern slave owners not being able to properly pronounce negro. Or rather simply a lazy pronunciation.

Yeah, you are totally right about that. For whatever reason, I completely forgot about the word negro, but i looked that one up, and i found that the word negro is latin for "black". So it didnt start out as a racial slur.

Yeah, you are totally right about that. For whatever reason, I completely forgot about the word negro, but i looked that one up, and i found that the word negro is latin for "black". So it didnt start out as a racial slur.

Although I have to admit, I do get a good chuckle out of how irate some posters here can get about it not being socially acceptable for white people to use the word. I can't really refute their arguments per se, but I just don't know why they seem to want to use the word so badly. I guess it's like my two small children, they always want something more when it's something they can't have. :lol: But seriously, I generally take issue with social restrictions on any word since anyone can tell you it isn't what you say but the way that you say it. Trust me, I can refer to someone as an African-American and make it damn clear to anyone listening that it's intended as a racial slur. Not that I would mind you, but I could. :cool:

Although I have to admit, I do get a good chuckle out of how irate some posters here can get about it not being socially acceptable for white people to use the word. I can't really refute their arguments per se, but I just don't know why they seem to want to use the word so badly. I guess it's like my two small children, they always want something more when it's something they can't have. :lol: But seriously, I generally take issue with social restrictions on any word since anyone can tell you it isn't what you say but the way that you say it. Trust me, I can refer to someone as an African-American and make it damn clear to anyone listening that it's intended as a racial slur. Not that I would mind you, but I could. :cool:
thank god your power is harnessed for good.

You make too much of it. Even with your limited capabilities, I'm sure you could manage it too. :razz:

You make too much of it. Even with your limited capabilities, I'm sure you could manage it too. :razz:

no, a man's got to know his limitations.

I don't think gay is meant to be an insult as a label for gays:cuckoo:...for a while a lot of my kids friends called things gangsta...I think that is more along the same lines as calling something gay.

Or ghetto. Or white trash. Or retarded (which used to mean "slow" or "stupid" and has now been co-opted as a slur against mentally challenged people).

I prefer literal meanings of words ... funny though that when I do use them as such people automatically think I am using it as an "insult" ... except when I use gay around gay people.

People, especially younger ones, use that phrase all the time. Hell, my friends and I used it 30 years ago when we were in high school, but we weren't homophobes. We also called our smokes fags because we picked up on it from watching tv shows on the BBC.

One of these days, maybe these people will worry more about something important.

Forum List

Back