Gay soldier releases thousands of documents to Wikileak

I served with many people in their early 20's with Top Secret SCI clearances.

To get a TS-SCI they had to do a background check on you. My friends and family were interviewed by FBI agents. If you lie about anything on your application they'll not only not give you a clearance but criminal charges can be brought against you and punishment under UCMJ. Anything in your background that might mean you're a security risk is investigated.

Everywhere you go you have to be read on the register in the vault any post you're stationed at. They know who you are before you even sign on. You have to tell them where you're going on leave. At least I had to.

You also know when you have a Special Compartment Indicator which allows you to hold a post in the White House that the punishment for divulging classified information is severe. You signed a statement agreeing not to. I'm not sure if this kid had that kind of clearance....but that doesn't excuse him.

To get a TS-SCI they had to do a background check on you. My friends and family were interviewed by FBI agents. If you lie about anything on your application they'll not only not give you a clearance but criminal charges can be brought against you and punishment under UCMJ. Anything in your background that might mean you're a security risk is investigated.

Everywhere you go you have to be read on the register in the vault any post you're stationed at. They know who you are before you even sign on. You have to tell them where you're going on leave. At least I had to.

You also know when you have a Special Compartment Indicator which allows you to hold a post in the White House that the punishment for divulging classified information is severe. You signed a statement agreeing not to. I'm not sure if this kid had that kind of clearance....but that doesn't excuse him.
For a TS-SCI, you have to make three statements promising you will not reveal any information and acknowledging the punishment you will receive if you do -- two written and one verbal -- in front of a witness and the person accepting the statement on behalf of the government.

Anyone who claims "I didn't know!" is a lying sack of shit.

This little bastard needs to be charged with treason. If anyone dies because of the information he revealed, he needs to be charged with murder.

Damn shame he can't be executed twice.

For a TS-SCI, you have to make three statements promising you will not reveal any information and acknowledging the punishment you will receive if you do -- two written and one verbal -- in front of a witness and the person accepting the statement on behalf of the government.

Anyone who claims "I didn't know!" is a lying sack of shit.

This little bastard needs to be charged with treason. If anyone dies because of the information he revealed, he needs to be charged with murder.

Damn shame he can't be executed twice.

Guess they've changed the procedures since I was in......or I just don't remember having to write two statements and give a verbal promise. I figures signing a statement would be good enough to convict anyone. Maybe since this country is being run by lawyers they have to be extra specially certain.

Last edited:
Guess they've changed the procedures since I was in......or I just don't remember having to write two statements and give a verbal promise. I figures signing a statement would be good enough to convict anyone. Maybe since this country is being run by lawyers they have to be extra specially certain.
There's a Non-disclosure Agreement, a Non-disclosure Statement, and the verbal Attestation. The attestation started about three years ago. The other two have been in force for as long as I've been working security clearance issues, about 6 years. And anyone with a TS/SCI who hasn't done any of the three has to do them as soon as the lack is identified.

So, yeah, this kid has done all three. He knew what he was doing was wrong, and he knew the consequences of what he was doing, because he told the government he wouldn't do it.

No sympathy for the little shit.

First off, I don't agree with what this young soldier did. And I was a supporter of Richard Nixon back when I served in the US Navy (1970-1973). But one should consider the perspective of those who release information to the public for what they consider to be reasons of conscience. Here is a perspective on this issue from Daniel Ellsberg (remember him?) Ellsberg had served two years as a platoon leader in the Marine Corps.

"I believe we are in a national crisis, which justifies and requires acts of unauthorized truth-telling. I am calling for such patriotic whistle-blowing to take place right now."

"Truth-telling to Congress and the public is not disloyal in America: it is an expression of the higher loyalty officials owe to the Constitution, the rule of law, and the sovereign public. It is a courageous, patriotic, and effective way to serve our country. The time to speak out is now."
Daniel Ellsberg - BetterWorldHeroes.com - Quotes

Last edited:
First off, I don't agree with what this young soldier did. And I was a supporter of Richard Nixon back when I served in the US Navy (1970-1973). But one should consider the perspective of those who release information to the public for what they consider to be reasons of conscience. Here is a perspective on this issue from Daniel Ellsberg (remember him?) Ellsberg had served two years as a platoon leader in the Marine Corps.

"I believe we are in a national crisis, which justifies and requires acts of unauthorized truth-telling. I am calling for such patriotic whistle-blowing to take place right now."

"Truth-telling to Congress and the public is not disloyal in America: it is an expression of the higher loyalty officials owe to the Constitution, the rule of law, and the sovereign public. It is a courageous, patriotic, and effective way to serve our country. The time to speak out is now."
Daniel Ellsberg - BetterWorldHeroes.com - Quotes

Ah yes, Daniel Ellsberg, the traitor who got away with it.

Forum List

Back