Gay minister didn't violate Methodist law, jury finds

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 5stringJeff, Mar 22, 2004.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    More on homosexual ministers... pretty sad, IMO.

Gay minister didn't violate Methodist law, jury finds
    By Janet I. Tu
    Seattle Times staff reporter

DEAN RUTZ / THE SEATTLE TIMES
    "I feel very good," said the Rev. Karen Dammann, left, hearing the verdict with partner Meredith Savage. "Something extraordinary has happened," Savage said.

In the end, the fate of the Rev. Karen Dammann, a lesbian pastor who was found not guilty yesterday of violating United Methodist Church law, appears to have hinged on a single word: "declared."

A jury of 13 fellow pastors found that while Dammann had engaged in homosexual activity, the church's Book of Discipline — a collection of the denomination's laws and teachings — does not clearly declare that such practice is incompatible with Christian teachings.

In returning the verdict yesterday afternoon at Bothell United Methodist Church, 11 jurors voted not guilty and the other two were undecided. Nine votes would have been needed for a conviction.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2001884745_methodist21m.html

2. Aquarian

Aquarian Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's the dumbing-up of America. It doesn't take a rocket-scientist to see that a homosexual lifestyle is inconsistant w/ Christianity.

All ministers are people. People Sin. Homosexuality is a sin as much as, say, lying...or killing...or stealing. We expect our ministers to fall to sin on occasion, but a Minister unapologetically (sp?) touting her sin and getting away with it??

wow..

4. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I never said they didn't. But homosexuality is clearly defined as a sin by God in the Bible. For a church to claim to call itself Christian, yet tolerate an unrepentant sinner as a minister within its ranks, is hypocritical in my eyes.

5. _dmp_

_dmp_ Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    :bs:

6. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Actually, until Thomas Aquinas made the missionary position between a man and woman and only for procreation de rigeur, anything went as far as sex was concerned. And it doesn't take much reading of his works to see that he was deeply in doubt as to his own sexual orientation.

7. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Now, just how do you, or anyone else for that matter, know what God wants? Do y'all have a direct pipeline to the godhead? If so, why haven't you hit the lottery yet?

The last soul I saw who said he talked to God was sitting in dowtown San Diego staring at the sun.

8. 5stringJeff

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    You keep using this same (tired) line, and I keep ignoring it... but here you go, Bully.

I believe in Christianity because I believe, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that Jesus was raised from the dead. Because of this, I believe His claims about who He said He was - namely the Son of God. Therefore, I believe His claims about God and God's word - namely the Bible. Therefore, I take the Bible, as a whole, as gospel truth (pardon the pun). Therefore, when the Bible tells me numerous times, from before the Mosiac Law, in the Mosaic Law, and in the New Testament, that homosexuality is a sin, I conclude that it is a sin.

9. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    where did he state that he knew what god wanted? i see where it says its clearly defined, but not that god said.

10. deciophobic

deciophobic Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    here's the problem w/ the bible, in my opinion...

when the catholic church was deciding what to put in and keep out of the bible they took a vote. (that in and of itself is wrong, why leave in or keep out God's word or Jesus' word) I believe there are 2(?) gospels left out of it, among other things. And, when they were voting, they were voting for what was in THEIR best interest and what THEY wanted in.

well, my brain just blanked out and I can't remember what else I was gonna say, i'll try and think of them...