gay marriage poll

acludem

VIP Member
Nov 12, 2003
Missouri
If I gave this poll over the phone to the American people, I could put down a headline in the paper that says a majority of the American people support gay marriage:

Please answer yes or no to the following questions:

1. I believe that marriage is primarily a religious institution

2. I believe that marriage is primarily a secular, government sponsored institution.

3. I believe churches should be allowed to perform gay marriage ceremonies if they so choose.

4. I believe the government has the right to tell churches they cannot perform gay marriage ceremonies, regardless of whether the government issues a marriage license or not.

5. I believe the government should be the ultimate arbiter of who is allowed to get married.

6. I believe that churches should be the ultimate arbiter of whom they choose to marry in the eyes of God.

There you are Jimmy. I can guarantee you the majority of people if asked these questions would answer yes to the questions about allowing churches to marry whomever they choose, which would include gay couples. This means I could logically argue tha tthe majority of people support allowing gay marriages. Care to respond?

acludem

1. I believe that marriage is primarily a religious institution - YES

2. I believe that marriage is primarily a secular, government sponsored institution. - NO

3. I believe churches should be allowed to perform gay marriage ceremonies if they so choose. - NO

4. I believe the government has the right to tell churches they cannot perform gay marriage ceremonies, regardless of whether the government issues a marriage license or not. - YES

5. I believe the government should be the ultimate arbiter of who is allowed to get married. - YES

6. I believe that churches should be the ultimate arbiter of whom they choose to marry in the eyes of God. - NO

There you are Jimmy. I can guarantee you the majority of people if asked these questions would answer yes to the questions about allowing churches to marry whomever they choose, which would include gay couples. This means I could logically argue tha tthe majority of people support allowing gay marriages. Care to respond?

Sorry, but obfuscation is for those with weak minds. When you take away my choices to make a proper decision, then I have no alternative but to allow the government to assure the sanctity of marriage. This is the same reason I would support a constitutional amendment. Dismissed!

I didn't obfuscate anything, I asked the questions in such a way that I could successfully argue that the majority of the American people support gay marriage. My point wasn't to prove this, but to prove that polls are easily, as you say, obfuscated.

acludem

Originally posted by acludem
I didn't obfuscate anything, I asked the questions in such a way that I could successfully argue that the majority of the American people support gay marriage. My point wasn't to prove this, but to prove that polls are easily, as you say, obfuscated.

acludem

But you weren't successful! It doesn't take a genius to read the questions and realize what you were doing. People don't want gay marriages and are willing to go to great lengths to protect it.

Forum List

Back