Gay marriage is resoundingly rejected in 11 states

ScreamingEagle

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2004
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/1103elect-usprops03.html

In a resounding, coast-to-coast rejection of gay marriage, voters in 11 states approved constitutional amendments Tuesday limiting marriage to one man and one woman.

The amendments won, often by huge margins, in Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Ohio, Utah and Oregon - the one state where gay-rights activists hoped to prevail. The bans won by a 3-to-1 ratio in Kentucky and Georgia, 3-to-2 in Ohio, and 6-to-1 in Mississippi.

"This issue does not deeply divide America," said conservative activist Gary Bauer. "The country overwhelmingly rejects same-sex marriage, and our hope is that both politicians and activist judges will read these results and take them to heart."

Cant imagine what would have happened if Ohio didnt have one of those initiatives on the ballots.

Cant imagine what would have happened if Ohio didnt have one of those initiatives on the ballots.

You think it was the "religious vote" that tipped the election?

ScreamingEagle said:

Not everyone in favour of banning homo-marriage is religious. Search thru the board and you'll see a TON of purely-biological and social reasons for such bans.

ScreamingEagle said:

From what i understand alot of the registered voters in Ohio were registered by church groups to oppose the gay marriage ban. willing to bet alot of them voted for Bush as well.

From what i understand alot of the registered voters in Ohio were registered by church groups to oppose the gay marriage ban. willing to bet alot of them voted for Bush as well.

That's what I heard too. Also heard that it was a deliberate ploy by the Republicans to drum out the church vote in Ohio to oppose gay marriage, etc. Obviously a successful strategy.

-=d=- said:
Not everyone in favour of banning homo-marriage is religious. Search thru the board and you'll see a TON of purely-biological and social reasons for such bans.

I agree. However, it was probably easier to target church groups and get larger numbers to vote.

NATO AIR said:
opposition to gay marriage was one of the strongest reasons bush won reelection so resoundly over kerry

I heard that. That's instructive. A war on terror, the economy, blah blah blah. Two fruit-loops demanding "equal treatment" is what gets people's attention, and good on it. What traditional Americans sense --- correctly --- is that gay marriage has nothing to do with "diversity" or "tolerance" or "equal rights." It's about yelling a big "Fuck You!" at traditionalism. Yesterday, it was our people telling them to fuck off. With a lot more class, I might add.

I am an atheist:

I am whole-heartedly opposed to gay marriage.
I support school prayer.
I have no probems with the Ten Commandments being displayed in public places.
I think the word "God" should remain in the POA.

There are lots of non-religious conservatives who share my views.

Forum List

Back