Gay marriage and religious freedom: Why we're concerned

Let me explain this for people who think the fear religious people have that their religious freedoms will be infringed upon if gay marriage is legalized.

This fear is common when it comes to states who legalize gay marriage through the courts, like the situation with California and Prop 8. See, religious people don't believe that gay marriage is a right; no, they really don't. They're not just saying that because they're trying to contradict liberals...they honestly disagree with you. So when they see a court "find" (see: invent) the right to gay marriage, they believe that that judge or judges have effectively taken a side on this contentious cultural, political (see: non-judicial) issue, and they don't trust any legislature, governor, or judicial body who would oppose the will of the people to then protect the people's right to religious freedom.

I think that's part of the reason why the Yes on 8 side made people believe that their religious freedom would come under attack if Prop 8 passed. Because the people reasoned, "well shoot, if they're willing to overturn the votes of millions of people who voted for Prop 22, they're probably not that concerned about my religious freedoms, either." The right to vote is just as fundamental a right in a democracy as the supposed right to marry is, and you can't expect people to compromise one for the other.

And then, I'd also say, there's a way for people to get back at a church for not recognizing gay marriages without forcing them to do it: namely, their tax exempt status. See, this is actually contradictory to what they believe, but I think there are some in the gay community spiteful enough to use whatever argument they can get away with. The argument would go like this:

"Churches are religious institutions, and the constitution grants them them free exercise of their faith. But the constitution doesn't mandate that the state affirm that right by granting tax-exempt status on these institutions. There are plenty of stipulations churches must follow in order to maintain their tax-exempt status, and they can't not respect the laws the state duly passes. Since this state recognizes gay marriage, it should be unlawful for any institution that receives subsidies or a tax-exemption to behave in a way that is discriminatory and non-yielding to the laws. As a private entity, the church may exclude or include whomever they wish, but public institutions should not have the luxury to ignore the rights of minorities."

They could very easily make that argument and find people to accept it. Gay rights groups already tried that once when it came to the Boy Scouts not allowing scoutmasters to be gay. The Supreme Court found that the Boy Scouts have a right to associate with whomever they want, but that hasn't stopped them from challenging their tax-exempt status.

The point is, the gay marriage lobby is trying to tie "opposition to gay marriage" with "anti-gay discrimination" (since to them it's the same thing) and deal with it the same way. They want to punish everyone who opposes gay marriage in some way, and it doesn't matter if it's at the expense of people's other rights.

Like I said, they got Prop 22 overturned and that was enacted by the expressed will of the people. They tried to get Prop 8 overturned as a revision and not an amendment (a case you don't even hear about anymore), and then took it to federal court and the governor and AG didn't even defend it.

People see the legal jujitsu being used to legalize gay marriage at all costs. It should be no wonder why they don't trust these same people who are willing to undermine the votes of millions of people to respect their religious liberties.

Let me explain why are wrong without all your smoke and mirrors.

The next step is churches being forced to accept gay marriages and perform them. The slippery slope you seculars and/or lefties deny; yet, seems to be VERY real.

Next, churches will forced to perform gay marriages. Last I checked, Christianity does not accept homosexual behavior and no, you DON'T have a right to violate others' religions.

They can take their little abnormal selves y'all feel so sorry for down to the JP and I could give a fuck.

But anyone with a functioning brain KNOWS this is just the next step.

Just like churches were FORCED to perform interracial marriages after Loving v. Virginia, right Gunny?

But why do straight people even care what gays get up to? It's totally irrational for a freedom loving populace to even stick their noses into other people's business for such a meaningless device. Like, if no one ever mentions gay marriage again in my lifetime, I probably won't even think about it either. Live and let live. I don't care what hole consenting adults get their jollies in, it's not part of my reality.

New Topics

Forum List

Back