Gay Marriage Advocates Hope for Sweeping Supreme Court Ruling

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Gay Marriage Advocates Hope for Sweeping Supreme Court Ruling, Right? Wrong! - ABC News

Hours after winning a landmark case in a California federal appeals court that struck down the state’s ban on gay marriage, lawyer Theodore B. Olson, who had filed a lawsuit against the ban known as Proposition 8, talked about the odds of the Supreme Court taking up the case.
“This issue will go to the Supreme Court, I think it will go to the Supreme Court in this case, ” he told MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow.
But because the decision by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit was so specific to California’s unique history with same-sex marriage, some legal analysts believe the justices might pass on the case. Or if the court took it up, it would rule narrowly on Proposition 8 –saving the broader question of whether gays and lesbians have a right to marry for another day.
And that would be just fine for some advocates of gay marriage.
“If by some chance the Supreme Court decided today that same-sex couples had a right to marry, I could see an enormous outcry and a push for a federal constitutional amendment that would ban it. Even if it lost, that would be a nightmare.” E. J. Graff writes in The American Prospect.
Before the challenge to Prop 8 was brought to federal court by the American Foundation for Equal Rights and its lead lawyers, Olson and David Boies, other longtime same-sex marriage litigators focused more on challenging laws that prohibit gay marriage at the state level.
“When Olson and Boies brought this, there was a fear by some members of the gay rights community that you could get an adverse ruling in federal court that would slow political momentum and shut legal doors, ” says Jane Schacter, a professor at Stanford Law School.
The preferred strategy was to go state by state, picking the states very carefully and working to legalize gay marriage at the state level.
<more>

Of course they do. They cant win their position through the elective process so they have to hope some unelected judges force their positions on the people instead.

Hopefully they will get thier ruling and this issue will go away.

If it gets to the SCOTUS, I cannot see how they will rule any other way than forbidding any authority from preventing their marriage.

The government should not be denying US Citizens their liberties. this country was founded on liberty.

No real reason for the court to deal with this. If another appeals court rules differently or there is an interstate issue then they will.

Of course they do. They cant win their position through the elective process so they have to hope some unelected judges force their positions on the people instead.

Incorrect. Citizens’ civil rights are not subject to popular vote. See: West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette (1943).

If it gets to the SCOTUS, I cannot see how they will rule any other way than forbidding any authority from preventing their marriage.

The government should not be denying US Citizens their liberties. this country was founded on liberty.

Correct. Of course the issue can be ended and court battles avoided altogether if states simply followed the 14th Amendment mandate ensuring all citizens have equal access to the law.

Just like abortion went away after the Supreme Court ruled on that issue, or discrimination went away when they ruled on that. You really should get your head out of your ass and look at the real world.

Think about what you just said.

Does a man have the 'liberty' to marry his 6 sisters?

How about to marry 3,284 women?

Think about what you just said.

Does a man have the 'liberty' to marry his 6 sisters?

How about to marry 3,284 women?

Once you can define marriage any way you want for tax and political gain then the word loses all meaning. Maybe 3 people can marry 4 others. Perhaps Jose the illegal can marry a "sister" city in Oregon to become a US citizen.
It makes a farce of the concept of marriage. Which is the real goal of the fag lobby.

Forum List

Back