Gay man sues publishers over Bible verses

Funny.... last I heard, it was men who wrote down the words.

You seem to forget the defense used upon that utterance. Those men, according to the Religious creed were "divinely inspired" If you do not know what that means, it means the words they wrote down were in fact not THEIR words but Gods.

Now a more accurate argument, at least against the Christian and Muslim religions would be WHO decided what got IN the book and what was left out. I do not know Hebrew/Jewish history or religion well enough to know if they had committees or sects choosing to leave out entire books because they did not like them or they did not say what the powers that be at the time wanted to hear.

And another effective argument would be how man now chooses to interpret the word of God. Actually I believe there is a passage or two that forbade "interpreting" the word of God.

You seem to forget the defense used upon that utterance. Those men, according to the Religious creed were "divinely inspired" If you do not know what that means, it means the words they wrote down were in fact not THEIR words but Gods.

Now a more accurate argument, at least against the Christian and Muslim religions would be WHO decided what got IN the book and what was left out. I do not know Hebrew/Jewish history or religion well enough to know if they had committees or sects choosing to leave out entire books because they did not like them or they did not say what the powers that be at the time wanted to hear.

And another effective argument would be how man now chooses to interpret the word of God. Actually I believe there is a passage or two that forbade "interpreting" the word of God.

And who is to say that my words are not also inspired by God?

You presume I believe the words were divinely inspired. Either G-d gave the tablets to Moses or he didn't. Either he wrote the words or he didn't. And if he divinely inspired the words, why didn't he make sure that when the words were translated that they were translated correctly?

If there is a passage in the bible that prohibits interpreting the word of G-d, no one has told the Jews. Our entire manner of bible study has to do with interpretation of the words. That's how we got so many rules....

You presume I believe the words were divinely inspired. Either G-d gave the tablets to Moses or he didn't. Either he wrote the words or he didn't. And if he divinely inspired the words, why didn't he make sure that when the words were translated that they were translated correctly?

If there is a passage in the bible that prohibits interpreting the word of G-d, no one has told the Jews. Our entire manner of bible study has to do with interpretation of the words. That's how we got so many rules....

Not only that, but before the printing press the Bible was hand written and edited by thousands of nameless people, mostly marginally literate by today's standards. If one made a mistake, that mistake would have been copied over and over, or misinterpretted into something else.

The margin of error was far and wide. How did God make sure that the Bible is accurate again RGS?

Fundies hate this stuff. And I mean fundies in all religions that have revealed texts. Interpretation - hermeneutics - is apparently a challenge to faith. It's only a challenge to blind faith.

Fundies hate this stuff. And I mean fundies in all religions that have revealed texts. Interpretation - hermeneutics - is apparently a challenge to faith. It's only a challenge to blind faith.

Once again you sum it all up eloquently.

I am also gay, and those passages in the Bible also offend me, but unlike the man involved in the lawsuit, I chose to ignore those particular passages. They cannot affect me unless I choose to allow them to affect me.

Not only that, but before the printing press the Bible was hand written and edited by thousands of nameless people, mostly marginally literate by today's standards. If one made a mistake, that mistake would have been copied over and over, or misinterpretted into something else.

The margin of error was far and wide. How did God make sure that the Bible is accurate again RGS?

Your argument fails yet again as the ORIGINAL text still exist on scrolls and such and are maintained by the Catholic Church.

Now you could argue that the translation from Greek or what ever language was used to write the New Testament books in ( I believe it was Greek) was and still is off.

But again you fail to grasp the simple expediant answer given by religious zealots, the words were divinely inspired, God actually wrote them THROUGH the individual. Which negates any influence from the flawed man and negates any chance any errors were inserted later by man as well.

By the way, there are surviving bibles from those times. Yet no great list of errors appears to exist. Explain THAT to the Zealot.

Actually I might mean Latin.

Last edited:
Your argument fails yet again as the ORIGINAL text still exist on scrolls and such and are maintained by the Catholic Church.

Now you could argue that the translation from Greek or what ever language was used to write the New Testament books in ( I believe it was Greek) was and still is off.

But again you fail to grasp the simple expediant answer given by religious zealots, the words were divinely inspired, God actually wrote them THROUGH the individual. Which negates any influence from the flawed man and negates any chance any errors were inserted later by man as well.

By the way, there are surviving bibles from those times. Yet no great list of errors appears to exist. Explain THAT to the Zealot.

Actually I might mean Latin.
No, the original texts do not exist. All of the New Testament books were second and third hand copies scribed from oral traditions.

Besides, all of those old Bibles will not have a list of errors because dopes like you believe they were divinely inspired. But that doesn't mean they are not filled with errors and lies. They are, and your blind faith is evidence of that.

Last edited:
No, the original texts do not exist. All of the New Testament books were second and third hand copies scribed from oral traditions.

Besides, all of those old Bibles will not have a list of errors because dopes like you believe they were divinely inspired. But that doesn't mean they are not filled with errors and lies. They are, and your blind faith is evidence of that.

If I didn't know better I'd think you actually believe this lawsuit has merit. :eusa_think:

I am also gay, and those passages in the Bible also offend me, but unlike the man involved in the lawsuit, I chose to ignore those particular passages. They cannot affect me unless I choose to allow them to affect me.

That's exactly it. Since when do we have the right not to be offended? Heck I'm betting there's someone that can be offended by every single thing there is. From the sky being blue to the fact that water is wet there's someone that's offended by it.

You either believe the Bible or you don't. It's a problem when people claim to be faithful to God, but dismiss the word of God as irrelevant or mistaken.

Can't have your cake and eat it too.

Yeah, let's have a list of "mistakes and lies".

Good luck. Your blind faith that the Bible is tripe and Christians are idiots is evidence that you've chosen to let Satan have your soul.

im..

having...

flashbacks of...

tipper gore and the PMRC...

Judas Priest... Backward Masking...

Parental Warning stickers... Satan...

Geraldo freaking Rivera...

Dont like it? Dont read it. Thats my position.

Or you could try reading it with an open mind, considering the possibility that it might be true and if it were, what would that mean to you?

Typically the ppl who hate the Bible and Christians are people who are self-gratifying bigots.

Would you do the same with the koran?

anyway, it's silly to assume that those who don't believe the bible are bigots, baba.

Forum List

Back