Gay History Teaching Now Required?

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
Bill requires gays' history to be taught
STATE SENATOR WANTS CALIFORNIA TO LEAD WAY
By Aaron C. Davis

SACRAMENTO - The state Senate will consider a bill that would require California schools to teach students about the contributions gay people have made to society -- an effort that supporters say is an attempt to battle discrimination and opponents say is designed to use the classroom to get children to embrace homosexuality.

The bill, which was passed by a Senate committee Tuesday, would require schools to buy textbooks ``accurately'' portraying ``the sexual diversity of our society.'' More controversially, it could require that students hear history lessons on ``the contributions of people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender to the economic, political, and social development of California and the United States of America.''

Though it's a California bill, it could have far-reaching implications, not only by setting a precedent but also because California is the nation's largest textbook buyer and as such often sets the standards for publishers who sell nationwide.

The bill could also bring sex wars roaring back into state politics in an election year in which gay-rights advocates had already purposefully relegated same-sex marriage to the legislative back burner, and as signature-gathering efforts for propositions rolling back gay rights had begun to slow.

``We're totally opposed to inserting sexual orientation into textbooks in our schools. This is more than just accepting it, it's forcing our kids to embrace it, almost celebrate it,'' said Karen England, executive director of the public-policy group Capital Resource Institute, which believes teaching about sexual orientation should be left up to parents.

``This is not about discrimination. California is one of the most friendly gay, lesbian and transgender states in the nation,'' England said. ``This is a bold and out-front attempt to do what I think has always been the goal of a small but very loud group.''

The bill's author, Sen. Sheila Kuehl, D-Los Angeles, rejects the criticism. ``We've been working since 1995 to try to improve the climate in schools for gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender kids, as well as those kids who are just thought to be gay, because there is an enormous amount of harassment and discrimination at stake,'' she said.

As for the need to teach gay history, Kuehl points to research she says concludes that gay students might do better in school and be less at risk for suicide, truancy or drug and alcohol abuse if they saw their own lives more accurately reflected in school textbooks and if the issue were more openly discussed in classrooms.

``Teaching materials mostly contain negative or adverse views of us, and that's when they mention us at all,'' said Kuehl, one of the Legislature's six openly gay lawmakers. A Senate analysis of her bill noted that one of the few times homosexuality is routinely discussed in classrooms is in relationship to pathology. ``In textbooks, it's as if there's no gay people in California at all, so forget about it,'' she said.

The bill expands on the existing state education code that already requires inclusion in the curriculum of the historical role and contributions of members of ethnic and cultural groups.

But central to the coming legislative floor debates will no doubt be questions about how gay issues might be woven into American history. The answer is still up for debate -- as is which historical figures might be outed in the process, and how textbook authors would decide their relevance.

``We're not suddenly going to say, `So and so was gay' when they never said that,'' Kuehl cautioned. ``But if you're teaching Langston Hughes poetry, you get a twofer because he was admittedly gay and he was black. So you could say he was a gay, black poet and talk about that.''

Aejaie Sellers, executive director of the Billy DeFrank LGBT Center in Santa Clara, said she thinks required gay-history lessons for students are a fantastic idea.

``Gays throughout history should be recognized. This is not something new, this goes back to the 18th and 17th and 16th century,'' said Sellers. ``The decriminalization of history could go back hundreds of years. There are certainly people who have made positive contributions to American history but all we ever hear is the tragic stuff.''

``Who knows,'' Sellers asked, ``that the author of `America the Beautiful,' Katharine Lee Bates, was gay?''

England says she doesn't really care, because a person's contribution to history doesn't hinge on sexual orientation.

``I don't care if, or who, whatever historical figure they want to say is gay,'' England said. ``If we're discussing history, who someone had sex with is inappropriate. I don't think most Californians want history and social sciences taught through the lens of who in history slept with whom.''

Sellers said she thinks the need for gay history and other lessons may vary from school to school.

``There are some schools that have gay-straight alliances where students feel heard and where teachers believe gender identity is not optional, that you're born with it. And it seems teachers there support and reflect that in their teaching. There are other schools where that's not the case.''

Whether the bill becomes law and if gay-history lessons become mandatory might quickly become Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's call.

The bill passed the Senate Judiciary Committee by a vote of 3-1; voting in favor were Sens. Joe Dunn, D-Garden Grove; Martha Escutia, D-Norwalk; and Kuehl. Voting against it was Senate Republican leader Dick Ackerman, R-Tustin.

The bill, SB 1437, requires only a majority vote in the Assembly and Senate, meaning that it could pass even if lawmakers -- Republican and Democrat -- voted the same way they did for last fall's gay-marriage bill. That bill passed, but the governor vetoed it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/merc...6578.htm?source=rss&channel=mercurynews_local

Just exactly what in the hell does it matter how or who a person sleeps with. What exactly is gay history?? Do they (gay people) live a different reality than the rest of us.

All of this special interest groupe history crap is just plain silly!! Are we not all of the human race and shouldnt that take precident over everything else.

History is about all people not just a specific groupe. This is just freaking crazy!!!!

:bangheads

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
nukeman said:
Just exactly what in the hell does it matter how or who a person sleeps with. What exactly is gay history?? Do they (gay people) live a different reality than the rest of us.

All of this special interest groupe history crap is just plain silly!! Are we not all of the human race and shouldnt that take precident over everything else.

History is about all people not just a specific groupe. This is just freaking crazy!!!!

:bangheads

Don't tell that to African Americans and Hispanics.

I actually wonder why African Americans aren't up in arms about this.

If this is passed and become the norm, you could say that gays and African-Americans are now in the same group...both have special treatment....equals.....

I can see it now.

Headline: "March Declared 'Gay History Month.'"

Headline: "Blacks Pissed of Because the Queers Keep Stealing All Their Ideas."

Headline: "Irish Riot Over Gay History 'Fagging Up' St. Patrick's Day. There Were No Survivors, and Even Fewer Sober Ones."

And I also agree with the Gunny. What happened to the days when history was divided up by era and region (i.e. ancient history, American history, history of WWII)?

Act5ually, if I was black, I was be MORE incensed that fags keep comparing their "plight" because they can't control their deviant behavior to the legitimate struggle against discrmination based on skin color, something completely beyond their control.

I don't give a damn about fag history. I really don't. I don't give a damn about black or hispanic or white history. What I would like to learn about is AMERICAN history, and WORLD HISTORY. We should learn about the American Revolution, the industrial revolution, all American and foreign wars, and all turning points in history. If they want to include a paragraph on how fags were accepted in my generation, go for it. If I'm ever required to take a fag history class, I won't do any work, and I'll sleep through class, and laugh every time they say "gay."

I'll have to agree with nukeman. Despite all my ranting, I could care less about who Bruce and Lance sleep with. I'm against it, yes, but seriously, what are they trying to do?

Completely off topic, my school has always tought 'tolerance', which I believe is complete bullshit. Now, they are pushing it further to "acceptance", so they want me to "accept" homosexuality into my life. Hell no. That's all I'm going to say.

GunnyL said:
Act5ually, if I was black, I was be MORE incensed that fags keep comparing their "plight" because they can't control their deviant behavior to the legitimate struggle against discrmination based on skin color, something completely beyond their control.

Ding Ding Ding Ding...

That is exactly it.

Hobbit said:
I can see it now.

Headline: "March Declared 'Gay History Month.'"

Headline: "Blacks Pissed of Because the Queers Keep Stealing All Their Ideas."

Headline: "Irish Riot Over Gay History 'Fagging Up' St. Patrick's Day. There Were No Survivors, and Even Fewer Sober Ones."

And I also agree with the Gunny. What happened to the days when history was divided up by era and region (i.e. ancient history, American history, history of WWII)?
you better move that to another month. i wont have my birth month smeared like that!

but coming out of cali... is anyone suprised?
and why would i want my child to "embrace" homosexuality? its shit like this that is pushing me more and more towards home schooling.

nukeman said:

History is about all people not just a specific groupe. This is just freaking crazy!!!! :bangheads

Yes it is crazy!!!!

GunnyL said:

and there in lies the rub .... because the gay community is saying that being gay is something completely beyond their control same as the plight of having black skin .....

manu1959 said:
and there in lies the rub .... because the gay community is saying that being gay is something completely beyond their control same as the plight of having black skin .....

:beer: You got that right.

If we just wait long enough white heterosexual Christians will finally be considered a disenfranchised group entitled to special rights. :)

I won't hold my breath on that though..

manu1959 said:

And I say there's a difference between inclinations and actions. Hey, I have biological, unsuppressable, OVERWHELMING desires to have sex with girls, but I'm not a fornicator because I can control my urges.

Hobbit said:
And I say there's a difference between inclinations and actions. Hey, I have biological, unsuppressable, OVERWHELMING desires to have sex with girls, but I'm not a fornicator because I can control my urges.

If you want to keep that, don't get married. :(

(sigh)

:)

Hobbit said:

you can be a fornicator and not have sex the same way and you can be an alcoholic and not drink.....

anyway the gay crowd argues that they are born gay the same way blacks are born black....i think you stand a better chance of getting equal footing if you argue that you were born christian....i mean give the presecution of christians these days do you think one would "choose" this life style? not being able to say merry christmas, or hide easter eggs?

manu1959 said:

That is the biggest insult to mankind that ever existed.

The thing that makes us greater than the animals is because we have choice. We can choose to master our bodies through self disciple. we can train physical, sacrifice, etc. because we have the power to choose so. its an insult to men and women everywhere to say that we have to do something because we have no choice.

NO kid of mine would EVER be taking that class.. peroid, end of subject.

That is the biggest insult to mankind that ever existed.

The thing that makes us greater than the animals is because we have choice. We can choose to master our bodies through self disciple. we can train physical, sacrifice, etc. because we have the power to choose so. its an insult to men and women everywhere to say that we have to do something because we have no choice.

so can blacks choose not to be affected by racism? how about christains not to be affected by persecution.....the people on the recieving end do not have a choice

Forum List

Back