Gay Couple Sues to Have Union Recognized

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I hate to say I told you so, but pretty much everyone on the Right has been telling us so.

--------------------
By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. - A lesbian couple who married in Massachusetts sued the federal government on Tuesday to have their union legally recognized in the rest of the country.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the Rev. Nancy Wilson and Paula Schoenwether, who married July 2 in Massachusetts. The couple applied for a marriage license in Florida soon afterward and were denied.

It was believed to be the first such lawsuit since gay marriage became legal in Massachusetts in May, said their attorney, Ellis Rubin.

"No one has anything to be afraid of by recognizing our marriage," Wilson said outside the courthouse Tuesday.

Rubin said the federal Defense of Marriage Act and a Florida law that defines marriage as a union between a man and woman violate his clients' equal-protection rights.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&e=7&u=/ap/20040720/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage

They can sue all they want, the DOM act is clear as is Florida law. They need to move to Queerachusets because the rest of the country isn't having any of it. Heck the IRS(god bless them lol) isn't even allowing these "couples" married in Queerachusets to file joint returns, violation of DMA!

The gays know that the activist judges are on their side, so they'll take it to court as often as possible. The judges need to be impeached to send a clear message: You are not the authority, the constitution is.

The federal government better do something such a constitutional amendment or a rework of Article IV Section 1 of the US Constitution:

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

Yeah, but the judges that made the law overstepped their bounds. The law should be revoked and the judges impeached, so article IV, section I is irrelevant, or at least it should be.

mattskramer said:
The federal government better do something such a constitutional amendment or a rework of Article IV Section 1 of the US Constitution:

Full faith and credit shall be given in each state to the public acts, records, and judicial proceedings of every other state. And the Congress may by general laws prescribe the manner in which such acts, records, and proceedings shall be proved, and the effect thereof.

DOMA already has an exemption written into it: states are not required to recognize civil unions/gay marriages done in other states, much like states are not required to recognize concealed carry permits or business permits from other states.

gop_jeff said:
DOMA already has an exemption written into it: states are not required to recognize civil unions/gay marriages done in other states, much like states are not required to recognize concealed carry permits or business permits from other states.

Actually, this could be forming up to be an interesting battle. I am not sure if DOMA can stand up to the Constitution.

The make-up of the Supreme Court is going to be vitally important to the outcome of this case.

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, this could be forming up to be an interesting battle. I am not sure if DOMA can stand up to the Constitution.

The make-up of the Supreme Court is going to be vitally important to the outcome of this case.

That's true, and what we really need is four more years of President Bush, so he can continue to nominate conservative Judges to the courts. Lord knows after eight years of the bill and hitlery show, and the liberal jerk offs they put in the courts, we need four more years of a conservative President to catch up. It ain't easy. The libs are blocking the Presidents newest nomination as we speak.

These sickening queers need to take their "civil union" and shut the fuck up. They can NEVER truely be "married", since that is a holy union between a MAN and WOMAN.

gop_jeff said:
I hate to say I told you so, but pretty much everyone on the Right has been telling us so.

--------------------
By MITCH STACY, Associated Press Writer

TAMPA, Fla. - A lesbian couple who married in Massachusetts sued the federal government on Tuesday to have their union legally recognized in the rest of the country.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of the Rev. Nancy Wilson and Paula Schoenwether, who married July 2 in Massachusetts. The couple applied for a marriage license in Florida soon afterward and were denied.

It was believed to be the first such lawsuit since gay marriage became legal in Massachusetts in May, said their attorney, Ellis Rubin.

"No one has anything to be afraid of by recognizing our marriage," Wilson said outside the courthouse Tuesday.

Rubin said the federal Defense of Marriage Act and a Florida law that defines marriage as a union between a man and woman violate his clients' equal-protection rights.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=533&e=7&u=/ap/20040720/ap_on_re_us/gay_marriage

And why does anyone care? There are thihgs of far greater import to be worrying about than the non-issue of same gender couples marrying.

Bullypulpit said:
And why does anyone care? There are thihgs of far greater import to be worrying about than the non-issue of same gender couples marrying.

Then I assume you'd be content with gay marriages staying outlawed and moving on to bigger and better things?

Forum List

Back