Gay Couple Says Waitress Told Them 'We Don't Serve Fags Here'

Uh oh, this business is in deep shit now (pun sorta not intended).

HUFFPOSTNewsEntertainmentLifestyleTech & InnovationAll Sections*LoginFeedbackView DesktopTermsPrivacy PolicyCopyright © 2014 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. | "The Huffington Post" is a registered trademark of TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Cavan SieczkowskiThe Huffington Post05/29/14 11:08 AM ET

A gay couple says they were asked not to return to a Texas restaurant because they "don't serve fags" there.

Collin Dewberry and Kelly Williams ate breakfast at*Big Earl's Bait House and Galley Cafe*in Pittsburgh, Texas, on Tuesday, May 27, but after paying the bill, they said they were met with hate, KLTV reports. The couple said a waitress, who happened to be owner Earl Cheney's daughter, told them*"We don't serve fags here,"*before saying: “Here at Big Earl’s we like for men to act like men and for ladies to act like ladies, so we want you to never return.”

A sign posted on the restaurant's door has a similar message.

“She’s a young lady, didn’t know what else to say, and they just kept on and she finally said we just don’t like fags," Earl Cheney told KLTV. He said he has no problem with gays dining at his restaurant, as long as they follow his policy: “You’re welcome to come and eat, but a man act like a man and a woman act like a woman ... That a man’s supposed to stand up and be a leader. He’s not supposed to be a woman. He’s not supposed to come in here in a dress.”

Cheney said the*couple had been acting inappropriately, with one putting his leg on the other. He told CBS affiliate KRLD that one looked "really possum eyed at me." He said he doesn't plan to discipline his daughter but thinks the parents of Dewberry and Williams should "teach 'em how to act in public."

He also maintains he is not a bigot.

“Homosexuality, Blacks, Hispanics they all come in here — everybody comes in here to eat. I’ve served my country for over 20 years, I know what my freedoms are," Cheney told KRLD. “I’m not gonna have people coming in here with their butt showing; I’m not gonna have people coming in here naked; I’m not gonna have people coming in here having sex on the tables.”

Since news of the incident surfaced,*Big Earl's Yelp page*has been flooded with negative comments and one-star reviews, as well as a photo of the late Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps with the text "Fred Phelps Seal of Approval."

While her use of "Fags" was a bit classless, I have no trouble believing the people were making a scene so they would get kicked out so they could pretend to be victims of discrimination.

So...what were they doing to be kicked out? You seem to know. Tell us.

When I was younger, I sometimes did things that got me called names.

Back then I had the same response as you. "So your saying it's my fault people yelled at me and said I was dumb??"

Now I'm grown up and more mature, and realize that back then, I did thing that caused people to hate me, and the answer to your question was "Yes. I was acting stupid, and so yes it my fault I was called stupid".

Same here. These people were acting in such a way that people didn't want them around. "Yes. It was their fault. They need to grow up and stop acting stupid in public".

Any questions?

What was it they did that would indicate they were "acting stupid in public"? Be very specific because you seem to know.

Couple says they were asked not to come back to East Texas resta - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

He said the men were badgering his daughter, the waitress, and it’s all on surveillance video, but he wouldn’t let KLTV see that.

“She didn’t know what else to say. She was frustrated and flustered, you know, and they were going out just laughing and carrying on,” he explained.

“I laughed. I was shocked. I didn’t know really how to react,” Dewberry said.

The owner said plenty of gay couples eat at his restaurant without hassle and he has no problem with that as long as they follow his policy.

It's his place, his rules. You violate those rules, are you acting in a way to incite a negative response.

The same would be true if you went my home, and lit up a smoke after I clearly stated there would be no smoking on my property.

The fact they were laughing and carrying on as they left, suggest they knew exactly what they were doing.

I have no sympathy for that. Honestly you shouldn't either. If I came and did something intentional to make you mad, you wouldn't have much sympathy for me, and rightly so.

That guy, he cracks me up. "I've got it all on tape! They were mean to my daughter!"

News crew: "Let's see the tape."

Restaurant owner: "No, you can't see the tape!"

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.....:eusa_liar:

What was it they did that would indicate they were "acting stupid in public"? Be very specific because you seem to know.

Couple says they were asked not to come back to East Texas resta - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

He said the men were badgering his daughter, the waitress, and it’s all on surveillance video, but he wouldn’t let KLTV see that.

“She didn’t know what else to say. She was frustrated and flustered, you know, and they were going out just laughing and carrying on,” he explained.

The owner said plenty of gay couples eat at his restaurant without hassle and he has no problem with that as long as they follow his policy.

It's his place, his rules. You violate those rules, are you acting in a way to incite a negative response.

The same would be true if you went my home, and lit up a smoke after I clearly stated there would be no smoking on my property.

The fact they were laughing and carrying on as they left, suggest they knew exactly what they were doing.

I have no sympathy for that. Honestly you shouldn't either. If I came and did something intentional to make you mad, you wouldn't have much sympathy for me, and rightly so.

That guy, he cracks me up. "I've got it all on tape! They were mean to my daughter!"

They LAUGHED, how DARE they........................:doubt:

There is nothing to write on, other than personal bigotry. It'll be titled "Before George Lincoln Rockwell, to Strom Thurmond, and Beyond".

Such snide arrogance doesnt do your cause any good. The argument has nothing to do with racism however much you squeal, but about coercion and corruption of the courts, and the congress of the day. The case says that the 14th was unnecessary for social justice. The 13th freeing the slaves is not argued about nor the 15th.

here is a link & some of the text from a 1968 Utah case in which some of the history is outlined.... Dyett

For over 140 years more than 70 justices of the Supreme Court consistently held that the first ten amendments to the Constitution applied as a limitation to the Federal Government only and not in any manner to the states, and for 70 years following the so-called adoption of the Fourteenth Amendment some 35 justices from every corner of the Nation have held that the Fourteenth Amendment did not make the first ten amendments applicable to the states. Some of those justices had helped to frame the original Constitution and the first ten amendments and had worked to secure the adoption thereof. Others had participated in the war between the states and were acquainted at firsthand with the purposes intended to be accomplished by the Fourteenth Amendment. All of them interpreted the Constitution, including the amendments, with knowledge and wisdom born of intimacy with the problems which had called forth the documents in the first place.

Obiter dicta
(.)
scripta sunt in veritate,

Did you ever see the rodney king tape? The unedited tape? The tape where King was attacking the police officers?

What tape did you see on the news outlets? The one edited down so that all you saw was officers hitting him with a baton, right?

Now if you want to think that guy was lying... ok fine. Whatever.

But I'll just say straight up, that if positions were reversed, there is no way short of a direct court order, that I would give them that tape. Not a chance. Those reporters would cut out everything, except my daughter saying the word fag, and that would be the only part played on the news. They would completely misrepresent everything, as reporters in our country have been doing for decades on end.

So I don't blame him one bit. You think he's lying, and that makes you feel better about it, ok. Whatever floats your boat. It bet if you were in his position, and your daughter was harassed until she said something, and you saw it on tape, you wouldn't release it either... at least not if your smart.

Uh oh, this business is in deep shit now (pun sorta not intended).

HUFFPOSTNewsEntertainmentLifestyleTech & InnovationAll Sections*LoginFeedbackView DesktopTermsPrivacy PolicyCopyright © 2014 TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. | "The Huffington Post" is a registered trademark of TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc. All rights reserved.

Cavan SieczkowskiThe Huffington Post05/29/14 11:08 AM ET

A gay couple says they were asked not to return to a Texas restaurant because they "don't serve fags" there.

Collin Dewberry and Kelly Williams ate breakfast at*Big Earl's Bait House and Galley Cafe*in Pittsburgh, Texas, on Tuesday, May 27, but after paying the bill, they said they were met with hate, KLTV reports. The couple said a waitress, who happened to be owner Earl Cheney's daughter, told them*"We don't serve fags here,"*before saying: “Here at Big Earl’s we like for men to act like men and for ladies to act like ladies, so we want you to never return.”

A sign posted on the restaurant's door has a similar message.

“She’s a young lady, didn’t know what else to say, and they just kept on and she finally said we just don’t like fags," Earl Cheney told KLTV. He said he has no problem with gays dining at his restaurant, as long as they follow his policy: “You’re welcome to come and eat, but a man act like a man and a woman act like a woman ... That a man’s supposed to stand up and be a leader. He’s not supposed to be a woman. He’s not supposed to come in here in a dress.”

Cheney said the*couple had been acting inappropriately, with one putting his leg on the other. He told CBS affiliate KRLD that one looked "really possum eyed at me." He said he doesn't plan to discipline his daughter but thinks the parents of Dewberry and Williams should "teach 'em how to act in public."

He also maintains he is not a bigot.

“Homosexuality, Blacks, Hispanics they all come in here — everybody comes in here to eat. I’ve served my country for over 20 years, I know what my freedoms are," Cheney told KRLD. “I’m not gonna have people coming in here with their butt showing; I’m not gonna have people coming in here naked; I’m not gonna have people coming in here having sex on the tables.”

Since news of the incident surfaced,*Big Earl's Yelp page*has been flooded with negative comments and one-star reviews, as well as a photo of the late Westboro Baptist Church founder Fred Phelps with the text "Fred Phelps Seal of Approval."

The restaurant rules should clearly say no Public Displays of Affection.

To avoid lawsuits, I would recommend the owner have all guests and customers
sign a written waiver before entering the premises, that they will not sue or invoke any legal
action over anything said by the owners or the management or workers of the establishment.

If the management is not going to tolerate equal free speech or beliefs of others, this should be worked out in advance with a lawyer so it is legal what the policies are. For example: The management and its workers and representatives will exercise freedom to speak about their beliefs in the language they see fit, but is not required to respect the same free speech of anybody else who enters who can be asked to leave if they are deemed by management to be disrupting business services.

And that any conflicts will be resolved freely by mediation and consensus to avoid any legal action or costs.
But if any guests or customers don't agree to resolve conflicts freely and directly by these rules, they are asked to leave.

Forum List

Back