Gay Couple Believes In Diversity - As Long As It Is Their Way

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
They were uncomfortable that someone would have an viewpoint against their lifestyle. Instead of embracing free-speech and diversity, they walked; so the entire event was cancelled.

-----

VIROQUA, Wis. — Faced again with controversy over plans for a gay speaker, Viroqua High School officials have cancelled Diversity Day.

The event, held every two years since 2000 for juniors and seniors, had been set for Thursday.

Scheduled speakers included Hmong, Jewish, Muslim, American Indian, African American, Latino, Buddhist, gay, physically disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged people.

But it was called off late last week after a legal group raised a potential challenge to include a formerly gay or Christian viewpoint.

In 2004, about 400 people signed a petition asking that speakers on gay, lesbian and transgender issues not be included in the school’s Diversity Day. The school board cancelled the event, but it was reinstated after spring elections changed the board’s makeup.

While pressure in 2004 came largely from within the community, this time, much of the challenge was from outside, said Gregg Attleson, a Spanish teacher at Viroqua who was on the Diversity Day planning committee.

The Tribune obtained a copy of a March 8 fax to David Johnston, Viroqua district administrator, from the Liberty Counsel, a national public interest law firm with offices in Florida and Virginia.

The fax stated that Don Greven, pastor of Bad Axe Lutheran Church, and Charles Lind, grandfather of a Viroqua High senior, had raised concerns about no Christian or formerly gay viewpoints being among the Diversity Day speakers.

The fax pointed out a federal court in Michigan had ruled unconstitutional a similar exclusion at Ann Arbor Public Schools event.

“By excluding the Christian and ex-gay viewpoints, the (Viroqua) District violates the Establishment Clause and the Fourteenth Amendment guarantee of equal protection,” the Liberty Counsel argued in the fax.

“Diversity means, in our understanding, that the various views are presented, and that was lacking,” Greven, 61, said Monday.

Planners said they hoped the day would bring students face to face with minorities and those living alternative lifestyles.

“Our students are not going to be living their lives out in Viroqua,” said Attleson. “They’ll be out and about in the world — in jobs, in the military, in the university —and they’re going to come into contact with people of different backgrounds. And we feel it would be real helpful for them in a nice safe place, like a high school, to have contact and be able to dispel some of the stereotypes.”

Attleson said students would have heard two keynote speakers, seen a movie and gathered with three of 10 speakers for small group discussions during the day. Students could choose which small groups they wanted to attend, he said, and wouldn’t have to participate if their parents contacted the school in advance.

When committee members heard some wanted the ex-gay viewpoint presented, they contacted the homosexual couple who would be speaking, Attleson said. The couple refused to participate alongside the ex-gay viewpoint, Attleson said, saying they would be uncomfortable.

The committee then decided the best course of action was to cancel the whole day.

“Non-positive groups were not what we were going for,” said Ellen Byers, an English teacher on the committee.

She said it was important to have homosexuals represented because a lot of misunderstanding exists about the issue and because Viroqua has gay students.

She said the day was not supposed to be about “proselytizing,” or alienating anyone.

“It’s ironic, because we’re trying to be tolerant and at the same time we might be accused of being intolerant,” Byers said.

http://www.lacrossetribune.com/articles/2006/03/21/news/1news21.txt

Fundamentalist viewpoint does not really need to be represented for the sake of diversity in rural Wisconsin. It's the norm. Cancellation is OK, it was a dumb event in the first place.

Nuc said:
Fundamentalist viewpoint does not really need to be represented for the sake of diversity in rural Wisconsin. It's the norm. Cancellation is OK, it was a dumb event in the first place.
maybe, just maybe, exclusion of the norm is exactly what is wrong with this country in the first place.

CSM said:
maybe, just maybe, exclusion of the norm is exactly what is wrong with this country in the first place.

"Scheduled speakers included Hmong, Jewish, Muslim, American Indian, African American, Latino, Buddhist, gay, physically disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged people."

I can see why introducing a bunch of rednecks to ethnic minorities might help prepare them for the real world out there, but "gay" "Buddhist", "economically disadvantaged"? There are no external distinguishing characteristics to those people.

Nuc said:
"Scheduled speakers included Hmong, Jewish, Muslim, American Indian, African American, Latino, Buddhist, gay, physically disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged people."

I can see why introducing a bunch of rednecks to ethnic minorities might help prepare them for the real world out there, but "gay" "Buddhist", "economically disadvantaged"? There are no external distinguishing characteristics to those people.

I am uncertain about what you are saying. Is the norm defined only by external distinguishing characteristics? I also have to wonder why you use the disparaging term 'redneck' for what I assume you consider the norm and the more PC terms for those outside the norm?

CSM said:
I am uncertain about what you are saying. Is the norm defined only by external distinguishing characteristics? I also have to wonder why you use the disparaging term 'redneck' for what I assume you consider the norm and the more PC terms for those outside the norm?

I use the disparaging term "redneck" for rural Wisconsinites because I live in Wisconsin and I know the people who live there.

I'm just saying introducing rednecks to blacks, Hmong, or whatever might have some benefits if they've never met those kinds of people before. Introducing them to people who have an ideological axe to grind like a religion or a lifestyle is propaganda.

Nuc said:
I use the disparaging term "redneck" for rural Wisconsinites because I live in Wisconsin and I know the people who live there.

I'm just saying introducing rednecks to blacks, Hmong, or whatever might have some benefits if they've never met those kinds of people before. Introducing them to people who have an ideological axe to grind like a religion or a lifestyle is propaganda.

so you oppose to the homosexual couple?

dmp said:
so you oppose to the homosexual couple?

I think the whole thing is dumb. They should teach the kids how to read and write.

You can obviously divide society into any number of religions, philosophies and lifestyles. The excercise becomes meaningless. Race is an objective fact, so if you live in a backwards place like Wisconsin and you've never met a black :afro: or Asian, that might be useful. You don't have to meet religious people or gays, because you've already met them, no matter where you live.

Nuc said:

Again, I am unsure of your position on this particular situation and I get the feeling you are deliberately skirting the issue. From your last statement, I construe that you are against the introduction of the Hmong, Jewish, Muslim, American Indian, African American, Latino, Buddhist, gay, physically disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged lifestyle and/or religions.

CSM said:
Again, I am unsure of your position on this particular situation and I get the feeling you are deliberately skirting the issue. From your last statement, I construe that you are against the introduction of the Hmong, Jewish, Muslim, American Indian, African American, Latino, Buddhist, gay, physically disadvantaged and economically disadvantaged lifestyle and/or religions.

I'm differentiating between races, which are objective, and religions or lifestyles, which are choices. Even if gayness is genetically determined the way you approach it is a choice. A lot of gays don't identify themselves as such. A black :afro: identifies themselves by their appearance.

I think it's always a wonderful thing when humans meet and try to understand each other.

Nuc said:
I'm differentiating between races, which are objective, and religions or lifestyles, which are choices. Even if gayness is genetically determined the way you approach it is a choice. A lot of gays don't identify themselves as such. A black :afro: identifies themselves by their appearance.

I think it's always a wonderful thing when humans meet and try to understand each other.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Nuc said:
I think the whole thing is dumb. They should teach the kids how to read and write.

You can obviously divide society into any number of religions, philosophies and lifestyles. The excercise becomes meaningless. Race is an objective fact, so if you live in a backwards place like Wisconsin and you've never met a black :afro: or Asian, that might be useful. You don't have to meet religious people or gays, because you've already met them, no matter where you live.

I agree that teaching reading and writing is a far better use of the school and its teachers. I think its odd that you find Wisconsin a backwards place; I would think it is on par with the rest of the United States but apparently you do not. Care to tell us one day WHY it is a backwards place?

Your assumption that you have already met gays or religious people no matter where you live is a generalization. I know many people my age have never actually met a gay person. Obviously, someone could be gay and other individuals not know or realize it but then there is no 'meeting' in that case is there!

From the article:

“Our students are not going to be living their lives out in Viroqua,” said Attleson. “They’ll be out and about in the world — in jobs, in the military, in the university —and they’re going to come into contact with people of different backgrounds. And we feel it would be real helpful for them in a nice safe place, like a high school, to have contact and be able to dispel some of the stereotypes.”

Which would include stereotypes about people who are anti-gay.

Or they don't count?

dmp said:
Thanks for the explanation. :)

I reread the article and to answer your question more directly, I think if the gay couple wanted to go forth and explain their lifestyle and if the ex-gays wanted to do the same both groups should have been represented. In fact I don't understand why they asked the gay couple for permission. They should have just done what they wanted.

Nuc said:

Ok; now I know you are tap dancing. If you chosse not to take a position on this that is fine.

CSM said:
Ok; now I know you are tap dancing. If you chosse not to take a position on this that is fine.

I think I've been pretty clear. Both groups (gay and anti-gay) should have been represented or neither.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
Nuc said:
I think I've been pretty clear. Both groups (gay and anti-gay) should have been represented or neither.

Then we are indeed in agreement. Thanks for clearing that up.

Nuc said:

Point of order - there wasn't an 'anti-gay' group scheduled - it was a 'former-gay' presentation. ;)

CSM said:
Then we are indeed in agreement. Thanks for clearing that up.

Sorry I was unclear. I thought introducing different races might be a good idea.

But if you invite gays then you should invite anti-gays, Buddhists, any other religion who wants to be there, and "economically disadvantaged" (who isn't?) then invite the rich.

That's why I kind of thought the whole thing was dumb.

Forum List

Back