Gay Conversion therapy

Are you in favour of gay conversion therapy?

• Total voters

The Great Goose

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2015
Just wondering how people felt about it. It's clear that being gay only creates trouble, but can something be done about it?

Edit I've added this description. Apparently there is not one set method. It's merely the practice of trying to cure gayness.

Gay conversion Therapy
What Is Conversion Therapy?
What Are Some Examples of Conversion Therapy?
What Do Mainstream Mental Health Professionals Say About Conversion Therapy?
Can Any Type of Therapy Change a Person’s Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity?
How Bad is Conversion Therapy?
Do Any States Protect Youth From Conversion Therapy?
What Do These Laws Do?
Why Are These Laws Needed?
Have These Laws Been Challenged in Court?
What Can I Do if I Find Out That a California or New Jersey Licensed Mental Health Care Provider Is Practicing Conversion Therapy?
How Can I Help Enact a Similar Law in My State?

LGBT Youth

What Is Conversion Therapy?

The practices used in conversion therapy are sometimes referred to as:

• Reparative Therapy
  • Ex-Gay Therapy
  • Psychological Abuse
  • Sexual Orientation Change Efforts (SOCE)
What Are Some Examples of Conversion Therapy?

In the past, some mental health professionals resorted to extreme measures such as institutionalization, castration, and electroconvulsive shock therapy to try to stop people from being lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT). Today, while some counselors still use physical treatments like aversive conditioning, the techniques most commonly used include a variety of behavioral, cognitive, psychoanalytic, and other practices that try to change or reduce same-sex attraction or alter a person’s gender identity. While these contemporary versions of conversion therapy are less shocking and extreme than some of those more frequently used in the past, they are equally devoid of scientific validity and pose serious dangers to patients—especially to minors, who are often forced to undergo them by their parents or legal guardians, and who are at especially high risk of being harmed.

According to a 2009 report of the American Psychological Association, the techniques therapists have used to try to change sexual orientation and gender identity include inducing nausea, vomiting, or paralysis while showing the patient homoerotic images; providing electric shocks; having the individual snap an elastic band around the wrist when aroused by same-sex erotic images or thoughts; using shame to create aversion to same-sex attractions; orgasmic reconditioning; and satiation therapy. Other techniques include trying to make patients’ behavior more stereotypically feminine or masculine, teaching heterosexual dating skills, using hypnosis to try to redirect desires and arousal, and other techniques—all based on the scientifically discredited premise that being LGBT is a defect or disorder.

The current practice guidelines for the National Association for Research & Therapy of Homosexuality (NARTH), which is a group of therapists who endorse and practice conversion therapy in the United States, encourage its members to consider techniques that include hypnosis, behavior and cognitive therapies, sex therapies, and psychotropic medication, among others.
#BornPerfect: The Facts About Conversion Therapy

Last edited:
Who would want to be gay with all the danger, hate, and trouble that come with it if it was all just a choice?

Gay is who they are and what they are make to be by nature

With all due respect, how are non - gays supposed to answer that when they don't even know what it is?? Gay conversion therapy??

Oh. Maybe I don't want to know about it?

if a man wants to stop being gay, it's really simple, just stop puffing on the peter dammit. how much therapy does that really take?

Just wondering how people felt about it. It's clear that being gay only creates trouble, but can something be done about it?

Who would want to be gay with all the danger, hate, and trouble that come with it if it was all just a choice?

Ignorance, that is what causes people to post those type of questions.

Ignorance, that is what causes people to post those type of questions.
What type of ignorance?

Forum List

Back