Gay Bishop Enters Treatment for Alcoholism

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by 5stringJeff, Feb 14, 2006.

1. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Interesting how the bishop treats the sin of alcoholism as a lack of discipline, but treats the sin of homosexuality as something he can't control... :rolleyes:

------------
    Gay Bishop Enters Treatment for Alcoholism
    By ANNE SAUNDERS, Associated Press Writer

CONCORD, N.H. - The Episcopal Church's first openly gay bishop, V. Gene Robinson, is being treated for alcoholism, a step that surprised friends and colleagues but seemed unlikely to threaten his position in the church.

A key administrative committee said it stood by Robinson, whose 2003 election as bishop of New Hampshire caused a furor in worldwide Anglicanism because he lives with a same-sex partner.

"I am writing to you from an alcohol treatment center where on Feb. 1, with the encouragement and support of my partner, daughters and colleagues, I checked myself in to deal with my increasing dependence on alcohol," Robinson wrote in an e-mail to clergy Monday.

Robinson's assistant at the Diocese of New Hampshire, the Rev. Tim Rich, said Tuesday that a growing awareness of his problem — rather than a crisis — led to Robinson's decision.

In his letter, Robinson, 58, said he has been dealing with alcoholism for years and had considered it "as a failure of will or discipline on my part, rather than a disease over which my particular body simply has no control, except to stop drinking altogether."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060214/ap_on_re_us/bishop_rehab

2. GotZoom

GotZoom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +366
    Interesting use of words. "...rather than a disease over (sic) he has no control..."

He isn't actually comparing homosexuality to a disease is he?

3. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    How can you make a comparison between homosexuality and alcoholism? Homosexuality is a preference, that if "practiced" safely has no physical consequences (which is the same for heterosexual sex). Alcoholism is a dependence on alcohol that is not only unhealthy, but also makes you more dangerous to others.

Once again, I would never say the church has to hire gay bishops because it is against church doctrine. But, still, comparing this man's alcoholic problem to his sexuality is just stupid.

4. MissileMan

MissileMan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    The way I read it, he is saying that alcoholism is not a disease as has been touted in recent years, but is a failure of willpower. I don't believe he was talking about his sexuality at all, but taking responsibility for his drinking problem instead of making up excuses.

5. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,165
    No physical consequences? right....

What's it like in that delusional world you live in. It doesn't matter what sexual activity you participate in. It has physical consequences. Sexual immorality can make you just as dangerous and unhealthy as alcoholism.

6. musicman

musicman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +533
    I thought so, too, at first, MM. But, the more I read it, the more I think his wording is just a bit clumsy and ambiguous:

"In his letter, Robinson, 58, said he has been dealing with alcoholism for years and had considered it 'as a failure of will or discipline on my part, rather than a disease over which my particular body simply has no control, except to stop drinking altogether.' ".

I think the operative words are "had considered"; i.e., he's speaking of how he had viewed his alcoholism in the past. No one who entertains a serious hope of treating alcoholism believes it a matter of "will" or "discipline"; one must first understand that he is physiologically different - that his body processes alcohol abnormally - that he is powerless to change this - and that the only way he can regain control of his life is to stop drinking altogether. That's not as easy as drawing a line in the sand; it requires a whole new way of thinking - a change of heart.

I admit, though, that I have a problem with the "disease" designation. "Disorder" is more like it.

7. liberalogic

liberalogic Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I don't live in a delusional world. Regardless of sexual orientation, if you engage in intercourse with a partner who is "healthy" (meaning he/she has no disease that can be transmitted sexually), where is the physical consequence? The "immoral" sexual behaviors that you refer to are just as dangerous as the "moral" sexual behaviors if your partner can give you something.

And of course, you didn't read that I wrote "practiced safely," which I just clarified above. There is no way to practice alcoholism "safely" now is there?

Don't try to give merit to such ludicrous arguments as the one posted here.

8. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511

It's not because the sex is gay that it's dangerous, it because the gay lifestyle is promiscuous, increasing chances of infection. ANd yes there are slutty straight people.

9. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I will agree that homosexuality is a preference in that it is a choice that one makes - much like alcoholism affects people because of the choices they make.

Also, you are wrong to say that homosexual sex has no physical consequences. I've seen the stats posted here several times (perhaps Pale Rider or Musicman knows what I'm talking about) that shows practicing homosexuals to have higher rates of depression, colon/instestinal disease, alcoholism, etc.

10. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    As is the heterosexual lifestyle. The lifestyle itself isn't promiscuous, it's people who are.