Gateway PC and Windows 8

And if anything goes wrong, they are responsible. Besides, when they come out to your home, you are right there with them, watching everything they do. :)

Yes, I certainly trust an established business over some stranger on the internet.
So, if they plug a thumb drive into your computer, saying it has a diagnostic program on it, you trust them implicitly..........

I do trust them. Besides, you take this risk all the time since professional hackers can hack into your computer pretty easily.

So basically, are you saying all computer programmers and people who would fix your computer (legitimate businesses) are not trustworthy, but strangers on the internet are? Good grief. Just cut the crap now, K?
Again, you're making an all or nothing claim and projecting it on what I posted. Wow, just wow.........

I think that's what you were doing. Lol. Making up an argument that people who work for Geek Squad or other computer services are criminals who are going to hack into your computer.
I never said or even implied all. Are there "crooks" working for Geek Squad? Yes. Are there "crooks" working in the military, government, restaurant arena, retail sector, banking, etc...... Yes of course there are. Trying to show you that your trust in so called professionals is as risky as unquestioningly trusting anyone on the internet to help you with your computer problems.

I already explained that. The businesses have a vested interest in their employees, that they have some credentials and they are also responsible for wrongdoing. Anonymous people on the internet are not held to the same standards.

Now, again, sorry if you took my comments personally (which you obviously have). That was not the intent. I'm just giving my advice from my own standpoint and experience.

And if anything goes wrong, they are responsible. Besides, when they come out to your home, you are right there with them, watching everything they do. :)

Yes, I certainly trust an established business over some stranger on the internet.
So, if they plug a thumb drive into your computer, saying it has a diagnostic program on it, you trust them implicitly..........

I do trust them. Besides, you take this risk all the time since professional hackers can hack into your computer pretty easily.

So basically, are you saying all computer programmers and people who would fix your computer (legitimate businesses) are not trustworthy, but strangers on the internet are? Good grief. Just cut the crap now, K?
Again, you're making an all or nothing claim and projecting it on what I posted. Wow, just wow.........

Wow to you, since you really are taking this on a very personal level.
:cuckoo:

That's the best response to that claim that I can come up with.

Why don't you just let it go then? There is absolutely no need for you to be taking this all so personally. Relax.

Why don't you just let it go then? There is absolutely no need for you to be taking this all so personally. Relax.
Again........ :cuckoo:

Since you are the one who can't seem to get a grip on yourself over a simple matter of disagreement in where a person should seek advice, you are the one with the problem here, bud.

I already explained that. The businesses have a vested interest in their employees, that they have some credentials and they are also responsible for wrongdoing. Anonymous people on the internet are not held to the same standards.

Now, again, sorry if you took my comments personally (which you obviously have). That was not the intent. I'm just giving my advice from my own standpoint and experience.
You've got to be joking. Someone can fuck up your computer and blame it on the computer, previous installs, conflicting software, undetected this or that. Prove them wrong.

Employees screw up all the time. Why are you even debating the point?

You've got to be joking. Someone can fuck up your computer and blame it on the computer, previous installs, conflicting software, undetected this or that. Prove them wrong.

I'm not debating any point. I'm giving my opinions on why I would trust a computer service rather than individuals on the internet for advice.

Since you are the one who can't seem to get a grip on yourself over a simple matter of disagreement in where a person should seek advice, you are the one with the problem here, bud.
Nice misread, care to try again or do you enjoy making yourself look foolish? :dunno:

Nice misread, care to try again or do you enjoy making yourself look foolish? :dunno:

Misread? You are using the "crazy" emoticon with me simply because I disagree with you. Lol.

Obviously you are taking this seriously since you can't seem to just let it go. Let it go. I am entitled to my opinions.

Misread? You are using the "crazy" emoticon with me simply because I disagree with you. Lol.

Obviously you are taking this seriously since you can't seem to just let it go. Let it go. I am entitled to my opinions.
Again your reading comprehension skills need some serious work as no matter how I word it you keep misreading my intent........ (i.e. what specifically I'm responding to.....)

I'm not debating any point. I'm giving my opinions on why I would trust a computer service rather than individuals on the internet for advice.
I am not in buzziness to do computers since it pays less than other trades, but I do-do(grammatically correct dirty joke) my own computer repair and programming and have lots of experience over 25 of playing on 'puters....I had FORTRAM engineering programming in the late '80's at college...I MIKE 6 buzziness programs that you used DOS command input at Tyson's foods in the early 1990's, manually....Windows '95 programming classes at college..'98, XP, 2000, up to window's 7...

Again your reading comprehension skills need some serious work as no matter how I word it you keep misreading my intent........ (i.e. what specifically I'm responding to.....)

I don't think so. Your "feelings" are obviously hurt by my opinions on this matter. :)

I am not in buzziness to do computers since it pays less than other trades, but I do-do(grammatically correct dirty joke) my own computer repair and programming and have lots of experience over 25 of playing on 'puters....I had FORTRAM engineering programming in the late '80's at college...I MIKE 6 buzziness programs that you used DOS command input at Tyson's foods in the early 1990's, manually....Windows's '95 programming classes at college..'98, XP, 2000, up to window's 7...

Oh, well, bravo. Lol. You are the epitome of awesomeness, indeed.

Just let it go. We have a difference in opinion on the matter. I said I don't think it's a good idea to get advice from god knows who on the internet, and you think it's a bad idea to get advice from a professional service. Whatevs. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I am not in buzziness to do computers since it pays less than other trades, but I do-do(grammatically correct dirty joke) my own computer repair and programming and have lots of experience over 25 of playing on 'puters....I had FORTRAM engineering programming in the late '80's at college...I MIKE 6 buzziness programs that you used DOS command input at Tyson's foods in the early 1990's, manually....Windows's '95 programming classes at college..'98, XP, 2000, up to window's 7...

Oh, well, bravo. Lol. You are the epitome of awesomeness, indeed.

It's just a hobby, from the days when I used to fix missiles and guidance systems for the Army..My kids do it also.....

I don't think so. Your "feelings" are obviously hurt by my opinions on this matter. :)
Well either you're looking for a fight or you're projecting. I can't help either one. Have a nice day........

waving.gif

Well either you're looking for a fight or you're projecting. I can't help either one. Have a nice day........

waving.gif

That would be yourself who has been throwing a hissy fit since I posted my opinion that I think people should get computer advice from professionals. Lol.

They are certified and their work is guaranteed. I'm willing to bet they have more credentials than your average "keyboard warriors." :D

In all honesty, probably not.
Take me...I have been hacking (the correct use of the word - coding) since 1986. I have probably more computer knowledge in my right pinkie than the script kiddies that work at Best Buy...their main M.O. is "does it boot up...no?...okay then reinstall...that'll be $100 please"
Or if your video card fails...they can unscrew one screw, slide the card out...screw it back..and let Windows find it and install it...whohoo..."that'll be $100 please". Easy money.

Today - the overwhelming number one problem is malware. In which there are several FREE programs anyone can install...the same program the Geek Squad charges you $100 to click on...no thanks.

I've used Geek Squad at least several times, and they were very knowledgeable about all things computer related.
Honestly, how would you know? As you've already stated you're computer illiterate, how would you honestly know that they know what they're talking about? Not being nasty just asking a very valid question. :dunno:
I have discussed computers issues with you and other here and at several different sites. This is just like any similar type "study group", we throw some ideas around, do some research, come back and share ideas. This type of discourse is not for the lazy or fearful. Great discussions on which I relied after checking and cross checking.

Geek Squad>>>>Geek Squad Overall rating 1 star out of 5-:laugh:

What would cause a PC to stall when updating to the point where you have to refresh or reinstall every week or so?

Any clues/ideas?

Probably have a corrupted cache or some viruses embedded. Take it to a pro and get it cleaned up. Should cost a whole lot less than a new PC.

iamwhatiseem's reply is most probable.
The error loop is in constantly downloading the same updates. To fix this but most likely temporary is by going to the troubleshooter icon then choosing the
repair windows update link then
clicking advanced link and choosing repair using administrator rights and it will repair your update errors.
If you just choose repair update errors without going to advanced link it will search then tell you on pop up that you have no permission rights and do you want to search using administrator rights so just choose yes in that scenerio and shortly the auto repairs are made. You might have to do this a lot as the problem seems to come back.

Regarding pressing f8, that's no longer in windows 8 and if your system correct disc gets frozen you can be in a constant loop where f8 or any number won't save you and you will be letting the Fbombs fly *L*.
I think for that pressing escape and choosing to cancel repair disc works to get you off the crazy loop.

Anyway updates can take a long time to configure and if someone shuts down during it, then it can cause irreversable errors where updates won't work and the reversal takes the same painstaking time.

New Topics

Forum List

Back