Gates agrees to meet Obama and Sgt. at WH

I predicted Gates would be first to accept.

I think it's mostly an olive branch but I do think Gates has more to lose by letting the idea that he might be the racist continue to grow than the officer does. He's the respected world renowned intellectual whose reputation as a fair minded man is in jeopardy. People seem to be be generally complacent about the notion that police officers could be racist.

I don't think either is racist but people do react stupidly in some situations.

On the other hand, if the officer admits to any wrongdoing, he could be putting himself in even more legal jeopardy.

It's going to take some complicated diplomacy to get this thing to happen.

and you were wrong. crowley accepted when he was on the phone with obama, yesterday. gates will be lucky not to be sued by crowley for defamation of character.

good effort, though.
Are you certain about that? I can't find anything that says other than Crowley might meet with Obama for a beer. After Obama spoke with Crowley he called Gates who did agree to meet with both Obama and Crowley. Gates also told a reporter himself that he had agreed to a meeting.

I predicted Gates would be first to accept.

I think it's mostly an olive branch but I do think Gates has more to lose by letting the idea that he might be the racist continue to grow than the officer does. He's the respected world renowned intellectual whose reputation as a fair minded man is in jeopardy. People seem to be be generally complacent about the notion that police officers could be racist.

I don't think either is racist but people do react stupidly in some situations.

On the other hand, if the officer admits to any wrongdoing, he could be putting himself in even more legal jeopardy.

It's going to take some complicated diplomacy to get this thing to happen.

and you were wrong. crowley accepted when he was on the phone with obama, yesterday. gates will be lucky not to be sued by crowley for defamation of character.

good effort, though.
Are you certain about that? I can't find anything that says other than Crowley might meet with Obama for a beer. After Obama spoke with Crowley he called Gates who did agree to meet with both Obama and Crowley. Gates also told a reporter himself that he had agreed to a meeting.

considering it was crowley's idea, yeah, i'm pretty sure he did.

again, good effort. :thup:

'Crowley suggested Obama invite him and Gates, to the White House for a peace-making beer, and a plan was in the works to do so, Obama said."

Obama regrets remarks in racially charged case | U.S. | Reuters

good effort, though.

'Crowley suggested Obama invite him and Gates, to the White House for a peace-making beer, and a plan was in the works to do so, Obama said."

If that's true, that it was Crowley's idea, I give him credit for being smart enough to finally respond in the affirmative to Gates' offer earlier this week to forgive Crowley if Crowley offers an apology.

If that's true, that it was Crowley's idea, I give him credit for being smart enough to finally respond in the affirmative to Gates' offer earlier this week to forgive Crowley if Crowley offers an apology.
you can't possibly be this stupid. :rofl:

you can't possibly be this stupid. :rofl:
good effort. :thup:

I think Crowley will meet with Fates and Obama but he was interviewed on CNN on his way to his car, and he didn't say he had.

good effort, though.

If it all works out, who takes the credit?
If it turns into a dung pile, who takes the blame?

I seriously question whether Sgt. Crowley suggested a White House meeting, if he did, quite presumptuous on his part.

In any case, since it has become a national issue, I agree with the following, which has lots of links:

Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion: We Need The Truth, Not Beer and Apologies

Sunday, July 26, 2009
We Need The Truth, Not Beer and Apologies
The proper ending to the controversy over the arrest of Harvard Professor Henry Louis Gates, Jr. should not be an apology or a sit down for beer at the White House. This no longer is a private affair, so Prof. Gates' desire to "move on," while understandable, is irrelevant.

The public is entitled to the evidence so that we can determine whether Sgt. James Crowley was a rogue, racial-profiling cop as Gates claimed, or whether Prof. Gates made false accusations of racial profiling.

While differing perceptions clearly contributed to the reactions of Prof. Gate and Sgt. Crowley, perception cannot change the truth of what actually happened. The best evidence as to the truth will be the recordings of the 911 call which precipitated the police going to Prof. Gates' house, Sgt. Crowley's radio calls once on the scene, and the accounts of eyewitnesses, including neighbors, passers-by, and the two other policemen on the scene.

We need to get to the truth of what happened in order to learn from this incident. If Prof. Gates is revealed to have made accusations without justification, then that will be a teaching moment for sure in the context of discussing racial profiling.

"Driving while black" racial profiling certainly takes place. But less discussed is the related phenomenon of "policing while white," in which white police officers sometimes falsely are accused of racial profiling, either because they have been falsely profiled as inherently racist, or because accusations of racism are an effective defense tool. If we are to understand and condemn racial profiling, we should understand and condemn false accusations of racial profiling.

Exposing this incident as "policing while white" will be an important part of the conversation, if indeed the evidence supports such a conclusion. Alternatively, if this really was a case of racial profiling, we need to know that as well and to use that knowledge in implementing effective changes.

What we do not need is a whitewash or a refusal to reach a conclusion as to who was right and who was wrong.

I have nothing against Prof. Gates and Sgt. Crowley sitting down for some beer with Barack Obama at the White House. But while a "let's all just get along" moment may be necessary, it is not sufficient. Let's all just get along after we know who was right and who was wrong.

An apology from Prof. Gates, Sgt. Crowley or Obama also may be necessary if insufficient, but first we need to know who should be apologizing. Faux expressions of regret will simply perpetuate misconceptions of what happened, and deepen not lessen the hard feelings.

I know that Obama does not like to use the word "victory." But the public needs a victory of truth here. Based upon what I have read, I do not believe that this was a case of racial profiling. But if the truth is that there really was racial profiling going on, then Sgt. Crowley needs to handle the truth, as do I.

But if the truth is that Prof. Gates made a false accusation of racial profiling, and Obama accepted that false accusation without due inquiry because of Obama's own profiling of the police, then Prof. Gates and Obama need to handle that truth, if they can.

We need a winner and a loser, based on the evidence of what actually happened. No one truly can move on, and we can't just all get along, until then.

Forum List

Back