Gasp a Depression?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by HippieChick75, Jun 26, 2009.

1. HippieChick75

HippieChick75 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI there! I am hoping that some of you can shed some light on the situation out here in good old sunny southern California. First off I want to start off by saying that we are in a depression, period end of story. I am in the epicenter of the housing crisis. Massive amounts of people I know can’t get work or are laid off, cities are turning into ghosts towns, I’m paying $5 for bread, and everything is going up up up in price! If that wasn't worse enough the media is spoon feeding a bunch of happy feel good economy crap. Despite all the stuff going on out here in good old CA everyone I know tells me I am a conspiracy theorist for believing we are in a Depression. This is to include my own husband. They say this is what happened in the 70s and I should not worry my pretty little head. What gives? I am not one to jump on the band wagon but I am seeing it with my very own eyes. I see it coming, like a wave off in the distance…and it is big! Huge even and everyone else is just averting their eyes to it. Why? Why? Why? Why? :eek:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    We are in a depression because I am out of work. If you were out of work, that would be either bad luck, or it a couple other poeple were out luck, that would just be a recession. :p

Well the unemployemt rate is really high. Banks are failing, bankruptcy all over the place, major companies going out of business.

No one is averting their eyes. When the smash first came, the powers that be tried their hardest to stop the disaster. I think the policy they chose was wrong, but they were doing their best/worse to avert what we have now.

3. Skull Pilot

Skull Pilot Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    I can't say this is a depression. My business is pulling in on average better than 20% more than last year.

And if this really was a depression would new i phones be back ordered for a month?

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    I think that some regions are worse off than others. We're informed that CA, NV and FLA are particularly hard hit because of the RE crises.

It's a game of semantics to debate whether we're in a recession or a depression.

We're in hard economic times for most people, that's for damned sure.

People avert their eyes to problems because they've been taught that recognizing a harsh reality the sign of a weak character, and truly brave people only ever see the glass as half full regardless of whether or not there's a glass at all.

But there is something to the theory that an optomistic outlook works as a talisman against bad fortune.

And there is certainly also something to the theory that one ought to count one's blessings rather than one's problems.

The fact that you can still post your thoughts here is one indication that as yet the wolf has yet to break down your door, no?

This economy will evolve into something different than what it once was.

Whether that will be a happier outcome for most of us remains to be seen.

Believe it or not, it very well could be that this economic crises will, in the long run, make us a better people.

Hardship often does make us better people, ya know.

Not necessarily a wealthier people, but often it makes us a stronger, and with luck, a truly more decent people.

Take it one day at a time, HipChic.

Prepare for heavy swells, of course, but don't abandon ship just yet.

5. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    You have it exactly right H.C. The rest of the sheep aint seen nuttin yet. The Movie is OVER.

iphones back ordered for a month ? Just goes to show you how fuggin dumb Amurikkastanians really are !

6. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    at lease we Americans can spell.

But you keep believing the line that we're in a depression. i was out for a cocktail with my lovely wife last night and the bar was packed with people drinking $10 margaritas and $5 pints and there was an hour wait for a table.

If we were all as bad off as you say wouldn't people be staying home and drinking Pabst at $12 a case?

7. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +25,044
    There is no Depression.

Recession, yes, and a sharp one, but no Depression.

8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Doesn't that depend on your class and income?

Perhaps you ought to check out a bar where if you ordered a margarita the bartender would laugh in your face.

I suspect you'd find a slightly different reality there.

9. Neubarth

Neubarth At the Ballpark July 30th

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Bolshoi!

Nearly 20 Million Americans have filed for Unemployment Compensation (Insurance to some) in the past year. When 20 Million people lose their jobs in 12 months, we are in a deep deep Depression.

10. Skull Pilot

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,025
    You mean those bars in Maine that serve both kinds of beer

Bud AND Bud light?

and FYI i am as blue collar as it gets. My favorite bars are biker bars