Gasoline Saving Tips

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Fuel-Saving Tips
By Ann Job for MSN.com

No matter where you live and what you drive, you can maximize every gallon of fuel. Here's how:

Regular Servicing Is Important
Keep your vehicle well maintained with regular servicing to keep it operating at peak efficiency. An inefficient engine—with fouled spark plugs, for example—won't make optimum use of fuel. Be sure the air filter and the fuel filter are clean. Put in new ones if they're not. A new oxygen sensor alone can improve gas mileage by as much as 15 percent, according to AutoZone, a car parts store.

Don't forget little things like the air in your tires. Having tires inflated to the maximum recommended pressure can improve gas mileage by as much as 6 percent, while periodic wheel alignments can help improve fuel economy up to 10 percent, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Clean out that trunk, cargo area or pickup bed. Take out unneeded items that only add weight to your vehicle. Extra weight decreases gas mileage. According to AutoZone, every 200 pounds of unnecessary weight shaves one mile per gallon off your fuel mileage.

Be a Different Driver
Drive Smart
Plan Ahead
Weather Effects
Other Modes of Transport
Watch for New, High-Tech Solutions
Other Costs Affected
An Eye to the Future

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article.aspx?contentid=40189094src=LP pickups Scroll down to heading "MONEY MATTERS" - first article listed.

I saw some guys yesterday tooling around on two wheelers. They were soaking wet as we had rain all day. Guess it was necessary for them to be out, but they weren't going to support the gas gougers. Today would be a perfect day to be out on bikes.

Well Chicago might be good for motorcycles about 5 months, if we're lucky. I can't walk 20 miles to school. But I did go buy a Mazda R6 last night. 30mpg. I needed a new car, mine was up to nearly 100k and was missing a hubcap. :)

I'm keeping it 'full' each day. Bose sound. Power everything. 6 disc CD player. Couldn't get a convertible, but did get the 'moon roof'.

Good choice of car, Kathianne. About a week before the gas prices rose to their present highs, we bought a Pontiac Vibe. 29 MPG in town, 34 MPG on open highway.

Adam's Apple said:
Good choice of car, Kathianne. About a week before the gas prices rose to their present highs, we bought a Pontiac Vibe. 29 MPG in town, 34 MPG on open highway.

I know, I was considering the sunfire convertible, then decided I needed one more practical car.

dilloduck said:
I may finally go out and get that Flintstone-mobile that I have been drooling about since I was a kid. :teeth:

Me, I'm gonna get one of them Pee-Wee Herman bikes! :)

PeeWeeBike(small).jpg

no1tovote4 said:
What if you live in the boondocks and have more than 40 miles between you and work, should I begin walking at 2 AM or 3?

I was being somewhat facetious. In another thread I said I was the first one to drive and pay whatever I have to pay for gas.

People need their cars...like their cars...want their cars.....

I would probably walk to work if it was about a mile or so. More than that...nahhhh...I'll drive.

Just got this Email.

Over 6 years ago, the oil cartels in the United States sanctioned an
investigation (test if you prefer), regarding how much the driving public would
spend on a gallon of gas, on average. The result was $3.00 per gallon.

Over the last 6 years they have steadily increased the prices. Subtly at first,
but with the war, the Nutty Saudis and China's ever demanding increase in
oil, they've decided that NOW is the time.

You'll see the prices hover around $3.00, then slightly decline, then up again.
It will (and has) inched up, penny by penny and dime by dime.

Want to know how to stop it? It's simple. Supply and demand. The more you
demand, the more they'll supply. That's why there has been no gasoline
shortage as we had during the Carter Adminstration.

The local gasoline retailers and oil corporation's retail outlets, purchase their
fuel based on future demand. That's why the same gas that's in the tank, in
the ground, on their site was .20 cents cheaper yesterday than today. They
likely didn't get a delivery overnight, but on your way to work, you notice it's
20 cents higher than it was when you went home last night.

When you leave for work, over the next few days, 3 days, 7 days, it really
doesn't matter; when you stop to purchase gasoline, DO NOT fill your tank. If
it normally costs $30.00 to fill the tank, BUY ONLY 1/2!. It's true that you
may have to stop twice as often, but the payoff will be tremendous. If every
American citizen purchased only 1/2 a tank for a couple of weeks you'd see
the prices at the pump tumble back very quickly. The reserve tanks at each
location can only hold SO MUCH GASOLINE! They cannot pre-purchase if
they do not have room to hold it. In just a matter of days the prices would
be forced down in order to get you to purchase more gas so that they could
replenish their tanks. If not, the main holding tanks would fill to capacity and
they would HAVE TO MOVE IT so they could purchase more.

Here's the part I like the most. Although we only purchase half of our oil from
the Middle East....those people would STARVE to death quickly unless they
dropped THEIR prices from that ridiculous $65.00 a barrel.

Remember..........if you don't demand.......they can't supply. If they
can't "empty" the tanks, they can't buy more.

Forum List

Back