Gas tax time?

Mariner

Nov 7, 2004
Boston, Mass.
It was surprising to see the polling results this week, that most Americans would support an increase in the gasoline tax. For years, the majority of both conservative and liberal economists have supported this idea--and when gas became expensive last year, it seemed to confirm their reasoning: SUV sales plummetted, hybrid cars surged, and the prices of food and other items that are trucked long distances began to reflect their environmental and energy impacts (our average foodstuff is moved 1200 miles; bottled water alone accounts for an astonishing amount of oil burned).

Thomas Friedman has been pushing for a geopolitical view of oil, which he lays out succinctly in an op-ed piece in today's Times:

... When the tax was presented as reducing U.S. dependence on foreign oil, 55 percent favored it and 37 percent said no. And when asked about a gas tax that would help reduce global warming, even more respondents supported it — with 59 percent in favor and 34 percent opposed.

And that is without a single Democrat or Republican leading on this issue! Imagine if someone actually led?

Many Americans now understand: the Energy Question is the big strategic issue of our time, overtaking 9/11 and the war on terrorism. If a leader from either party would correctly frame the issue — that a gas tax is the single most important geostrategic move we could make today — a solid majority would support it.

Taking on this issue is the only hope the Bush team has for producing a legacy out of its remaining years. And it is the Democrats' only hope for taking on the Republicans with a big idea — rather than relying on G.O.P. scandals to win.

Sadly, both sides fear the other will smear them if they run on this issue. O.K., say you're running for Congress and you propose a gas tax, but your opponent denounces you as a wimpy, tree-hugging girlie-man, a tax-and-spender. What do you say back?

I'd say: "Oh, really? I guess you think it is smart, tough and patriotic for us to be financing both sides in the war on terrorism — the U.S. military with our tax dollars, and Al Qaeda, Iran and various hostile Islamist charities with our energy purchases.

"Now how patriotic is that? I guess you haven't noticed that today's global economic playing field has been leveled and that three billion new players from India, China and Russia have walked onto the field, buying new cars, homes and refrigerators. So if we don't break our addiction to crude oil, we're going to heat up this planet so much faster — enough to melt the North Pole and make Katrina look like a summer breeze.

"Now how smart is that? I guess you don't realize that because of this climate change and the rising cost of crude, green technologies are going to be the industry of the 21st century, and a gasoline tax is the surest way to make certain that our industries innovate faster and dominate innovation in green cars, homes and appliances.

"Finally, I guess you haven't noticed that the wave of democratization that seemed unstoppable after the fall of the Berlin Wall has run into a black counterwave of petro-authoritarianism. This black wave of oil-financed autocrats — Venezuela, Russia, Iran, Nigeria, Burma, Saudi Arabia — has all the money in the world now to turn back the democratic tide.

Sorry, can't provide a link--it's subscription-only--but it's in today's paper if you want to read the whole thing.

Mariner

Holy hell! The LAST Thing anyone around here should support is a HIGHER gas tax. Our fucking state is the worst. It's run by idiots, and won't soon change as the libs/Dems have successfully rezoned seattle so now the majority of votes are idiots themselves. :(

dmp said:
Holy hell! The LAST Thing anyone around here should support is a HIGHER gas tax. Our fucking state is the worst. It's run by idiots, and won't soon change as the libs/Dems have successfully rezoned seattle so now the majority of votes are idiots themselves. :(
Worse than cali?

dmp said:
What do you mean? I never accused WA of having a High tax. The thread was made in 2nd person and I answered in 2nd person...you...stupid kids.

We're at about $.31 per gallon and the idiots in seattle just approved a state-wide increase of $.10

CA's gas tax is about $.18 per gallon. Their high prices are driven by greed.
:-/

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/245.html#c8d2e1c063c88ab30128bf4ab7557bc9

Yer gettin off cheap. 48.7 (or 47.8 - can't remember which) cent tax per gallon here...

dmp said:
On that link WI shows $.32 WI right?

Maybe certain portions of WI. MY specific portion is as I posted - they actually have the calculations posted at the pump where I go most often.

Shattered said:
Maybe certain portions of WI. MY specific portion is as I posted - they actually have the calculations posted at the pump where I go most often.

I believe it - our sales tax is actually about 9% because it varies by county, ON TOP of the state tax of 6.5%

dmp said:
I believe it - our sales tax is actually about 9% because it varies by county, ON TOP of the state tax of 6.5%

That made me grumpy yesterday.. Especially since <i>somebody</i> I know paid a whopping 1.97 per gallon before leaving for a business trip. I paid $2.35.

*scowl*

misterblu said:
Maybe I'm reading this incorrectly, but you seem to be implying that the sales tax in this county is ~9% + 6.5%?? This isn't true of course. Wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong idea. :p:

Tax rate by city (to be added to the 6.5% state tax):

http://dor.wa.gov/content/home/TaxTopics/FederalDeductionLSTaxTable.aspx#Pierce

'Sales taxes counties impose is ON TOP of the state tax of 6.5%'

My county...

Area - Total Combined Tax.
PIERCE (1) (2)
Unincorp. Areas ** .082 &#1048714;
Unincorp. P.T.B.A.* ** .088 &#1048714;
Auburn/Pierce..... .088 &#1048714;
Bonney Lake....... .088 &#1048714;
Buckley............... .084
Carbonado.......... .078
DuPont ............... .088 &#1048714;
Eatonville ............ .078
Edgewood........... .088 &#1048714;
Fife ..................... .088 &#1048714;
Fircrest ............... .088 &#1048714;
Gig Harbor .......... .084
Lakewood ........... .088 &#1048714;
Milton/Pierce....... .088 &#1048714;
Orting.................. .088 &#1048714;
Pacific/Pierce...... .088 &#1048714;
Puyallup.............. .088 &#1048714;
Roy ..................... .078
Ruston ................ .088 &#1048714;
South Prairie....... .078
Steilacoom.......... .088 &#1048714;
Sumner............... .088 &#1048714;
Tacoma .............. .088 &#1048714;
University Place.... .088 &#1048714;
Wilkeson............. .078

dmp said:
'Sales taxes counties impose is ON TOP of the state tax of 6.5%'

My county...

Area - Total Combined Tax.
PIERCE (1) (2)
Unincorp. Areas ** .082 &#1048714;
Unincorp. P.T.B.A.* ** .088 &#1048714;
Auburn/Pierce..... .088 &#1048714;
Bonney Lake....... .088 &#1048714;
Buckley............... .084
Carbonado.......... .078
DuPont ............... .088 &#1048714;
Eatonville ............ .078
Edgewood........... .088 &#1048714;
Fife ..................... .088 &#1048714;
Fircrest ............... .088 &#1048714;
Gig Harbor .......... .084
Lakewood ........... .088 &#1048714;
Milton/Pierce....... .088 &#1048714;
Orting.................. .088 &#1048714;
Pacific/Pierce...... .088 &#1048714;
Puyallup.............. .088 &#1048714;
Roy ..................... .078
Ruston ................ .088 &#1048714;
South Prairie....... .078
Steilacoom.......... .088 &#1048714;
Sumner............... .088 &#1048714;
Tacoma .............. .088 &#1048714;
University Place.... .088 &#1048714;
Wilkeson............. .078

Yes, it is almost 9% ALL TOGETHER. Not 9% ON TOP of 6.5%.

:thup:

Glad we got that cleared up.

When the tax was presented as reducing U.S. dependence on foreign oil, 55 percent favored it and 37 percent said no. And when asked about a gas tax that would help reduce global warming, even more respondents supported it — with 59 percent in favor and 34 percent opposed.

Taxes should be used to fund necessary government functions, not to be used to control demand. Free markets are the best determination of that.

We are all already paying the high tax of dependence on foreign oil. We pay it at the gas pump, with higher heating and electric bills, and with the higher cost of consumer goods.

And BTW, the capital of Washington is Olympia, so I doubt Seattle could impose a statewide tax on anything.

As someone who drives for a living, high gas prices have really cut into my livelihood. I drive a fuel-effecient car that is also tough enough to handle my work load. The main problem is that people want to drive 40 gallon tank, 8 miles to the gallon gas-guzzling SUVs. This is why energy has become such a problem lately, everyone's got to have their humvees, and their Ford Excursions, and their Cadillac Escalades. If you want to drive an SUV, buy a hybrid.

acludem

acludem said:
We are all already paying the high tax of dependence on foreign oil. We pay it at the gas pump, with higher heating and electric bills, and with the higher cost of consumer goods.

And BTW, the capital of Washington is Olympia, so I doubt Seattle could impose a statewide tax on anything.

As someone who drives for a living, high gas prices have really cut into my livelihood. I drive a fuel-effecient car that is also tough enough to handle my work load. The main problem is that people want to drive 40 gallon tank, 8 miles to the gallon gas-guzzling SUVs. This is why energy has become such a problem lately, everyone's got to have their humvees, and their Ford Excursions, and their Cadillac Escalades. If you want to drive an SUV, buy a hybrid.

acludem

Maybe you could get a job where you didn't have to drive for a living. Too many people driving for a living really burns up the gas supply.

acludem said:

It's not seattle - it's the residents. The Majority of people live in that area; They decide the direction the state goes.

Forum List

Back