Gas prices . How does it effect your daily life

Lovebears65

Gold Member
Apr 17, 2011
Georgia
Gas here is 3.75. I find that we dont go on as many weekend trips as we used too. I used to visit my mom at least once a month . Now its more like once every 3 months.. saving for kids college so dont have much for travelling these days..

They haven't. Other than the short period of time where gas prices plummeted along with everything else after the economy crashed, I've been paying anywhere from $2.50 - $4.25 a gallon for a while now.

Gas prices are up 50 cents a gallon in the last six months. I drive almost 300 miles a week and buy 10 gallons of gas a week

That means it is costing me an extra $5 a week for gas

Hasn't really changed my driving

Yep but those guys with the big SUV's and Daullies....

Neighbor has a honkin big duallie and only pulls something about 4 times a year.
And he drives it to work every day.

Good question. I appreciated breaking down issues in terms of personal impact.

Gas has been so overpriced in San Francisco for years that when the country feels a sudden surge in pricing, it doesn't 'hurt' me as drastically as it might across state lines.

hello,
I still use the car as needed, for the job and grocery. For all other leisure time activities I use the bicycle and train services or the combination of both.
The winter is almost gone, the streets aren't icy anymore, so you can often use your bicycle now :)

Because of the high cost of gas, I can't buy as many condoms as I used to buy. I'm sure there are many more in America just like me. Therefore, I look for the birth rate to climb due to the high cost of gas.

I use about twenty gallons of gas a week. If I filled up, it would be twice a week. Because I live in California, the price of gas is just high enough to make stealing it attractive so I don't fill up. I get enough gas to get me where I want to go and back, every day. So far, I've only lost a few dollars in stolen gas. Some of my neighbors have lost $100.00 at a whack.

I just got a job that starts at 6, city bus service starts at 5:30. No way I can do a transfer at that hour.
If the job becomes permanent I am going to move.

I prefer walking/biking to work anyway. I biked to work for 9 years. It was great.

Yep but those guys with the big SUV's and Daullies....

Neighbor has a honkin big duallie and only pulls something about 4 times a year.
And he drives it to work every day.

It's not just those but the RVs and the boats

Costs you $200 every time you take them out

I fill a 16 gallon tank once a week. $6-$7 a week does not seem like a huge amount to me on a personal level though it is $25 - $30 a month I am not spending elsewhere.
Assume this is an average amount per American. 250,000,000 cars on the road, that is over one billion a month not going into other areas of the economy.
Coupled with higher costs of getting goods to market, the price of everything goes up while we have less to spend.
Simply put, if the trends of average summer fuel increases stay the same, by the late summer the economy will be up shit creek without a paddle.

Gas prices are between 4.25-4.40 in LA, even at the cheapest places. Unfortunately my old car broke down, so I haven't been driving it for a while anyway.

Forum List

Back