Gas Price Perspective

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
To help ease the pain of your next trip to the pump...

Think a gallon of gas is expensive? This makes one think, and also puts things in perspective.

Diet Snapple 16 oz $1.29; $10.32 per gallon

Lipton Ice Tea 16 oz $1.19; $9.52 per gallon

Gatorade 20 oz $1.59; $10.17 per gallon

Ocean Spray 16 oz $1.25; $10.00 per gallon

Brake Fluid 12 oz $3.15; $33.60 per gallon

Vick's Nyquil 6 oz $8.35; $178.13 per gallon

Pepto Bismol 4 oz $3.85; $123.20 per gallon

Whiteout 7 oz $1.39; $25.42 per gallon

Scope 1.5 oz $0.99; $84.48 per gallon

And this is the REAL KICKER...

Evian water 9 oz $1.49; $21.19 per gallon - $21.19 for WATER - and the buyers don't even know the source. (Evian spelled backwards is Naive.)

So, the next time you're at the pump, be glad your car doesn't run on water, Scope, Whiteout, or, God forbid, Pepto Bismol or Nyquil.

Leave it up to the creative Americans to look for the silver living in every trying situation. Now they just need to go to work and find an alternative to gasoline.

I bet that list was made up by Oil Companies to make us feel better about their executives getting hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses, perks, etc.

:(

-=d=- said:
I bet that list was made up by Oil Companies to make us feel better about their executives getting hundreds of millions of dollars in bonuses, perks, etc.

I don't think so D..they won't have signed their death warrant with:
Now they just need to go to work and find an alternative to gasoline.
Would they?

-=d=- said:

Maybe you should find a job with a giant corporation and work your way to the top, so that others can berate you for working hard, as well. (please note the sarcasm....)

I certainly hope that I can get 100's of millions in bonuses someday for working hard for a compnay that provides goods and services that EVERYONE depends on!

Fmr jarhead said:
Maybe you should find a job with a giant corporation and work your way to the top, so that others can berate you for working hard, as well. (please note the sarcasm....)

I certainly hope that I can get 100's of millions in bonuses someday for working hard for a compnay that provides goods and services that EVERYONE depends on!

I can't wait to get to a position to hold the nation hostage for few reasons other than greed. yay! :)

-=d=- said:
I can't wait to get to a position to hold the nation hostage for few reasons other than greed. yay! :)

Sorry bud... I have to disagree with you on this one. Have gas prices affected the way you live to the point where you can't afford to buy food/clothes because you need the gas money?

gop_jeff said:
Sorry bud... I have to disagree with you on this one. Have gas prices affected the way you live to the point where you can't afford to buy food/clothes because you need the gas money?

Yes. Everything I buy is more expensive.

gop_jeff said:

i gassed up yesterday cost me $40.....that is $10 than a month ago

that is $40 more per month....$40 that i won't spend on something else

if i didn't make what i make it would put a dent in my lifestyle

i am sure that this affects a lot of people that make $10 / hr

-=d=- said:
"Last year I made $100,000,000. This year, i only made $90,000,000. I've 'Lost' $10,000,000. I'd better raise prices of my product!"

Greed.

Or how about:

"Mr. CEO, the board of directors of XXX Gas and Oil are happy that you, by your leadership of this company, have increased profits by $300M this year. Here's a bonus of $5M. Keep up the good work!"

gop_jeff said:
Or how about:

"Mr. CEO, the board of directors of XXX Gas and Oil are happy that you, by your leadership of this company, have increased profits by $300M this year. Here's a bonus of $5M. Keep up the good work!"

true but explain a 10% jump in costs in less than 30days that must be passed through

gop_jeff said:
Or how about:

That would also qualify.

Business Ethics. Is it ethical to raise prices/affect the lives of the nation because somebody needs MORE money, on top of the money they will never live long enough to spend?

manu1959 said:
true but explain a 10% jump in costs in less than 30days that must be passed through

If I ran Oil Company XXX, I'd do something like this, in a press release:

"There's panic on the trading blocks. Oil prices are inflating for no good reason. We understand our cost will increase 10% for oil in the coming months. As making 10% less profit won't 'really' hurt our company, we'll absorb that for 3 months. After, we'll raise prices 2% per month, for 5 months; or until this spike is over, whichever comes first."

...or something like that.

Ethically, I couldn't sleep at night knowing i'm causing 'the little people' hundreds (and thousands in some cases) extra dollars per month in increases, all the while I'm drawing MILLIONS into my bank account.

-=d=- said:
That would also qualify.

Business Ethics. Is it ethical to raise prices/affect the lives of the nation because somebody needs MORE money, on top of the money they will never live long enough to spend?

no...but the companies are publicaly held and thus have to answer to their shareholders....they very people they are financially abusing with higher prices

-=d=- said:

"There's panic on the trading blocks. Oil prices are inflating for no good reason. We understand our cost will increase 10% for oil in the coming months. As making 10% less profit won't 'really' hurt our company, we'll absorb that for 3 months. After, we'll raise prices 2% per month, for 5 months; or until this spike is over, whichever comes first."

Ethically, I couldn't sleep at night knowing i'm causing 'the little people' hundreds (and thousands in some cases) extra dollars per month in increases, all the while I'm drawing MILLIONS into my bank account.

well in califonia where there are so many damn regultaions and it is virtually impossible to build any additional refineries or processing plants....the oli companies spend billions switching from winter to summer processing of oil in a refinery and can't build any more plants.................so....cost go up during this period....and don't really ever drop back down

manu1959 said:
i gassed up yesterday cost me $40.....that is $10 than a month ago

that is $40 more per month....$40 that i won't spend on something else

if i didn't make what i make it would put a dent in my lifestyle

i am sure that this affects a lot of people that make $10 / hr

Wow, I fill up two to three times a week and it costs me over $50 now to do it. I can't wait until I can ride the motorcycle to work more often than not.

-=d=- said:

That sounds like the tuna commercial from Mr. Mom. :)

-=d=- said:

And if I was a stockholder in XXX Oil, I would immediately move to have you replaced if I felt that you were doing something that wasn't maximizing profits. That is the goal of capitalism. Don't like it? But gas from YYY Oil instead (wiht ethanol!) :D

Or, start your own water company! :D

Forum List

Back