Gas Price - $.002 per gallon

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
OOPS!

Customers Have Fill-Up Frenzy After Gas Price Mistake

UPDATED: 4:45 am PDT May 9, 2006

PLAINFIELD, Ind. -- A costly mistake at an Indiana gas station early Tuesday morning means the business is out a lot of money.

The mistake at regular unleaded pumps at a Shell station in Plainfield allowed people to fill up for just pennies.

Gas at the station was supposed to be $2.75 a gallon, but customers pulled up to the pumps to find a price of $.002 a gallon.

The mistake was discovered early Tuesday morning, but several customers had already gotten away with a drastically low price fill-up.

The gas station is not exactly sure how many people took advantage of the situation. Since customers paid at the pump, clerks did not have face-to-face contact with the customers.

Driver Kenneth Krebs said he couldn't believe what he saw that allowed him to fill up his truck for 7 cents.

"I pulled into that gas station, put my card in to get gas and hit the 87 octane button and it came up like two-hundredths of a cent," said driver Kenneth Krebs. "So, I proceeded in filling up my truck."

A woman went into the store and told the clerk what was going on, showing her receipt for a few cents for several gallons of gas. That woman offered to come back into the store later Tuesday to pay the difference.

The gas station is trying to determine if it can go back and charge the people who got the bargain regular price after the fact.

http://www.kirotv.com/automotive/9181126/detail.html

That last bit REALLY burns me though. If somebody had mistakenly paid TOO Much, I bet there's no way in hell the gas station would send a refund.

"Oops! We had the price set at $2.75, when it SHOULD have been $2.57 - Here's your refund!"

The Store offered a price. Consumers took them up on the offer. :)

If a person had come in BEFORE and asked about the price, the store would have been within it's rights to refuse the sale - but after the fact? Too late.

dmp said:
OOPS!

That last bit REALLY burns me though. If somebody had mistakenly paid TOO Much, I bet there's no way in hell the gas station would send a refund.

"Oops! We had the price set at $2.75, when it SHOULD have been $2.57 - Here's your refund!"

The Store offered a price. Consumers took them up on the offer. :)

If a person had come in BEFORE and asked about the price, the store would have been within it's rights to refuse the sale - but after the fact? Too late.
I know in Michigan that station would be fucked. When I worked retail, if a piece of clothing was mistagged, we'd have to honor that price. Something about fairness in advertising, or something like that. Basically, it prevents the consumer from being responsible for someone else's fuckup.

The ClayTaurus said:
I know in Michigan that station would be fucked. When I worked retail, if a piece of clothing was mistagged, we'd have to honor that price. Something about fairness in advertising, or something like that. Basically, it prevents the consumer from being responsible for someone else's fuckup.

We don't have that law here - typos/misprints are not a 'requirement' to sell.

dmp said:
We don't have that law here - typos/misprints are not a 'requirement' to sell.
That's unfortunate. It's like corporate stupidity tax. If you can't be smart enough to get your advertisement right, you have to suck the loss.

The ClayTaurus said:
That's unfortunate. It's like corporate stupidity tax. If you can't be smart enough to get your advertisement right, you have to suck the loss.

The law makes sense. Retailers shouldn't be bound by printing agencies, etc, or a pissed off clerk. ;)

I dont think I could sleep of I took advantage of a situation like this. even if its a big company. It just aint right. We have a grocery store chain here called Kroger's, they have a policy[posted for all to see] where if the item you are purchasing scans the wrong price you will recieve the item Free. I get about an item per visit free but its their policy to do so. I am not sure but with the folks that got a 'DEAL' on their gas purchase it was illegel because they knew the real price, and what if the children where there with them? what a way to show you child how to be an upstanding honest citizen.
Bravo for the Lady that went inside to try and make things right. we need more of the Likes of her good traits to shine through.

Screw that. When i see the price of gas rise hourly when no new tankers came in, i have zero sympathy for these guys. They can say that they have to give it all to the oil companies but why would they even be in business if they werent making any money. They are making money hand over fist. This guy wont even feel that half an hour loss he took.

insein said:
Screw that. When i see the price of gas rise hourly when no new tankers came in, i have zero sympathy for these guys. They can say that they have to give it all to the oil companies but why would they even be in business if they werent making any money. They are making money hand over fist. This guy wont even feel that half an hour loss he took.
The station would probably end up taking the hit, which would hurt him a lot considering they don't make their money on the gas. They make it on all the shit they sell inside the station.

insein said:

DING! DING! DING!

I watched gas prices here go from $2.91 to $3.33 in a matter of 2 hours, with not a truck in sight. This is also the same gas station who admitted it's all a big game..

Me: Do you guys have magical gas or something?
Him: Why?
Me: Because you're 35 cents a gallon higher than the Mobile station across the parking lot from you.
Him: Oh, it's all just a big game. We raise/lower prices according to what we will have to pay that day if we had a shipment coming in.
Me: I see. Well, I'm going to go play with the other gas station - I'll take the coffee, tho - thanks.

Gas at the station was supposed to be $2.75 a gallon, but customers pulled up to the pumps to find a price of $.002 a gallon.

I just filled by bike, and premo was $3.47 a gallon. I'd be making a crazed dash for ANY gas station selling gas for $2.75!

Good ole Reno... expensive as hell to live here.... why am I here?

$.002 a gallon. I'd have filled my tank and pulled away laughing like an idiot.

Forum List

Back