Gas infrastructure in Mass.: A recipe for disaster?

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
An underground labyrinth of leak-prone, corroding natural gas pipes. Mounting pressure on utilities to upgrade ancient infrastructure. A chronic shortage of trained workers. And a surge of retirements among state inspectors.

This is the backdrop for the natural gas fires and explosions that rocked the Merrimack Valley Sept. 13.

The gas lines that wend throughout the state, beneath city streets, and into people’s homes are overseen by a patchwork of bureaucracies and a regulatory system that largely trusts utility companies to police themselves.

Though such calamities are rare, safety experts and local leaders say the gas industry needs more rigorous, transparent oversight to avoid more disasters.
A recipe for disaster? - The Boston Globe

So, you have to wait for a disaster for anything to get done.

...So, you have to wait for a disaster for anything to get done.

Yes, because the customers don’t want to pay the rates that the Department of Public Utilities would need to approve for the private utility companies to be able to fully maintain the gas and electric infrastructure.

- a private gas/electric utility company employee

Corrupt Dem run states use all their money to buy votes, while their infrastructure crumbles.

Gas and electric utilities are almost entirely owned and operated by PRIVATE utility companies, not the cities or stste. They are regulated at the stste level but not run at that level.

...So, you have to wait for a disaster for anything to get done.

Yes, because the customers don’t want to pay the rates that the Department of Public Utilities would need to approve for the private utility companies to be able to fully maintain the gas and electric infrastructure.

- a private gas/electric utility company employee

You have no idea how corrupt Dem run north east states are when it comes to cutting deals with the utilities in those states. Many a Dem's pocket is lined with kickbacks.

You have no idea how corrupt Dem run north east states are when it comes to cutting deals with the utilities in those states. Many a Dem's pocket is lined with kickbacks.

I LIVE in Massachusetts. I WORK for the company that had to shut the electric power off in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover. I had the opportunity to work support for those activities but I turned it down.

I LIVE in Massachusetts. I WORK for the company that had to shut the electric power off in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover. I had the opportunity to work support for those activities but I turned it down.

Refrain from voting or operating a motor vehicle, one as naïve as you should not be making decisions. I lived in the area for 10 plus years I know how corrupt it is.

Refrain from voting or operating a motor vehicle, one as naïve as you should not be making decisions. I lived in the area for 10 plus years I know how corrupt it is.

I’ve lived here for 20+ years. I’ve worked for this company for almost 18 years as a contractor, then management employee, and for the last 11 years as a Union employee (and Steward). I guarantee you that I understand the way the utility industry here works far better than you do.

I’ve lived here for 20+ years. I’ve worked for this company for almost 18 years as a contractor, then management employee, and for the last 11 years as a Union employee (and Steward). I guarantee you that I understand the way the utility industry here works far better than you do.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, many of the people who live up there are ignorant and naïve.

Doesn't surprise me in the least, many of the people who live up there are ignorant and naïve.
Jesus fuck, you are dumb as rat shit.

Forum List

Back