Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
Gas exports could bring Dallas face to face with fracking​

By: Jim Landers
December 8, 2012

Posted on Monday, December 10, 2012 10:43:21 PM by 2ndDivisionVet

As the United States starts exporting more of its natural gas, prices will firm, producers will profit, big gas consumers won’t be happy about paying more and opponents of fracking will object.

All that was apparent even before the U.S. Department of Energy released a study on gas exports Wednesday that found, on balance, a net economic benefit for the country.

In North Texas and across the state, however, these conclusions are more tangible to the many businesses and neighborhoods that interact with natural gas formations like the Barnett Shale.

Low prices have dropped drilling in the Barnett, which is centered in Tarrant County, by more than 80 percent over the last four years. Natural gas exports to hungry markets in Asia could rejuvenate Barnett drillers and bring more of Dallas face to face with the consequences.

“Anything that depletes the oversupply of natural gas should improve the price domestically, of course,” said Gene Powell, publisher and editor of Powell Shale Digest in Fort Worth. “We can get triple or more of the [U.S.] price for exports.”

Powell said the number of rigs drilling in the Barnett Shale was 196 a month in 2008, when gas prices were as high as a Las Vegas housing bubble. Last month, the rig count in the Barnett was 36. The price of gas closed Wednesday at $3.41 per million British thermal units, a measure of heat content that is roughly equal to 1,000 cubic feet of gas. That price is just a fourth of the 2008 peak...

(Excerpt)
Read more at
Gas exports could bring Dallas face to face with fracking | Jim Landers Columns - Business News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

• Banned
40% of our corn production is diverted to the production of ethanol.
So much ethanol, that we export 20% of production.

Why should natural gas be so different?

Personally I have no problem with it. I live right above the Marcellus Shale deposit. Our good Democrat governor and his DEC are treading water while detractors are coming up with every lie you can imagine to stop the drilling for the trapped gas.

Personally I have no problem with it. I live right above the Marcellus Shale deposit. Our good Democrat governor and his DEC are treading water while detractors are coming up with every lie you can imagine to stop the drilling for the trapped gas.

Your governor is being inundated by out-of-state environmental whacks. Good luck with that.

My brother is a geologist and he's made good money working his ass on well site jobs out there.

Given the choice between burning corn or burning hydrocarbons, I'm afraid that Obama has chosen the former.

This article is a day late and a dollar short, they've been fracking in the DFW area for years. I sat at a well head and watched it happening. It's amazing the 3D mapping they can do of the areas being fracked, all done with seismic and acoustical sensors.

Last edited:
  • Banned

Your governor is being inundated by out-of-state environmental whacks. Good luck with that.

My brother is a geologist and he's made good money working his ass on well site jobs out there.

Given the choice between burning corn or burning hydrocarbons, I'm afraid that Obama has chosen the former.

I live in farm land where poor is really poor. Some people here can't afford electricity in a town of 500. They're using kerosene lamps for light and wood to heat their homes. Upper NY state is a disaster for the unemployed, especially farmers. Drilling would give a lot of them work.
I know what you mean about those tree huggers. The people living in Ithaca are mainly Libs working at Cornell University. They don't want to see drilling here. While there has been drilling in Elmira with no ill effects to property, water aquifer, or surrounding area.

This article is a day late and a dollar short, they've been fracking in the DFW area for years. I sat at a well head and watched it happening. It's amazing the 3D mapping they can do of the areas being fracked, all done with seismic and acoustical sensors.

That's right. Fracking is nothing new in Texas.

And, I for one love it. Most of our electricity here is generated using natural gas and my electric bill has fallen in the peak months from about $500 to less than $300. This month's bill was less than $200, the lowest I've seen in nearly a decade.

Yet, the looney right STILL claims Obama is out to wreck the domestic oil and gas business, in spite of the obvious facts. Of course, I understand that facts mean nothing to the Nutter's, but why on earth would anyone believe them on this subject when we are swimming in domestic oil and gas?

And, I for one love it. Most of our electricity here is generated using natural gas and my electric bill has fallen in the peak months from about $500 to less than $300. This month's bill was less than $200, the lowest I've seen in nearly a decade.

Yet, the looney right STILL claims Obama is out to wreck the domestic oil and gas business, in spite of the obvious facts. Of course, I understand that facts mean nothing to the Nutter's, but why on earth would anyone believe them on this subject when we are swimming in domestic oil and gas?

You do realize that Obama's proposed budget contains at least $40 billion in taxes on oil and gas? His EPA is trying to federalize hydraulic fracturing, and the White House has been on a 4 year witch hunt for all things hydrocarbon.

He's out to wreck us, all right. Despite your obvious ignorance. :D

You do realize that Obama's proposed budget contains at least $40 billion in taxes on oil and gas? His EPA is trying to federalize hydraulic fracturing, and the White House has been on a 4 year witch hunt for all things hydrocarbon.

Yet it is still the State Governments (and sometimes local) that control fracking on their land. Is he's still going to take all our guns away too.

Yet it is still the State Governments (and sometimes local) that control fracking on their land. Is he's still going to take all our guns away too.

True. And that's how it should remain. States are perfectly capable of monitoring and regulating the practice.

As for the guns thing... huh?

Why is it that we have for decades exported millions of metric tons of agricultural gains, yet exporting our natural gas production is deemed a pariah upon society?

Maybe it's because natural gas is a limited resource that will be depleted. And you know how Americans love to bitch about having to import fossil fuels, so exporting them does seem to be counterintuitive.

True. And that's how it should remain. States are perfectly capable of monitoring and regulating the practice.

There has been a constant whine about what the President is going to do. Take away everyones guns and the EPA is going to regulate Fracking out of existence.

There has been a constant whine about what the President is going to do. Take away everyones guns and the EPA is going to regulate Fracking out of existence.

Can't argue with ya there.

Some states have already banned fracking outright. Their loss.

Dont the importers of our fossil energy resources understand that they are destroying the planet............

Let them use those imaginarily effecient "alternative" energy sources

Forum List

Back