Gary Sinise holds fundraiser for real-life Lt. Dan

Gary Sinise is a class act.

The real Forrest Gump...

Disneyland Honors 'Real' Forrest Gump, MoH Recipient Sammy Lee Davis
Nov 06, 2015 | He rescued three fellow soldiers and earned the Medal of Honor for his heroic effort in Vietnam.
He played football in high school, worked on a fishing boat and once gave a speech on the mall in Washington, D.C., about the importance of bringing home prisoners of war. He'll call you "sir" or "ma'am" and tell you about Freedom, Indiana, where the only traffic signal is a flashing yellow light. He doesn't live in Freedom (Population: 400), but about five miles outside town. "It's way too congested," he said.

His name is not Forrest Gump, although he is truly Gumpian. Footage of him receiving his Medal of Honor from President Lyndon Johnson was used in the 1994 movie that won Best Picture and Best Actor for Tom Hanks. If you search on the Internet for the "real Forrest Gump," you will see his name. "My name is Sammy Lee Davis," he said. "Not Samuel or Sam. It says Sammy on my birth certificate. They didn't use my name, but that movie is based on me."

sammy-lee-davis-804-ts600.jpg

Retired Sgt. 1st Class Sammy Davis clutches the Medal of Honor he was awarded for actions in Vietnam, during a ceremony marking the partnership between the Army National Guard, Army Reserve and Helmets to Hardhats at the Pentagon in 2009.​

Davis was honored Thursday during Disneyland's daily flag retreat when the sun went down. The Disneyland band played. The Dapper Dans sang. And Davis was joined by other veterans, who stood and saluted as the flags were folded. "Pride is the utmost emotion I'm feeling right now," Davis said at the conclusion of the ceremony. He was accompanied by his wife, Dixie, and his granddaughters Katelynn Smith and Sami Johnson. "They do this every night? Wow," Davis said. "It was awesome."

Many of the veterans in attendance posed for pictures with Davis. "You could look in their eyes and see their hearts," he said. Davis was presented with a small statue of Mickey Mouse with flanked by an American flag. "Thank you for your service," the statue reads. Disney spokesman Kevin Rafferty Jr. said, "We have the privilege of recognizing our veterans every day during our flag retreat ceremony at Disneyland park. We are honored to extend a special thank you to Sammy L. Davis for his extraordinary courage and commitment to our country."

MORE

Hmmm... now there's a good man who would do us well to be President...

Gary Sinise Dedicates 'Smart Home' Built for Wounded Veteran
The actor dedicated the home specially built for the family of Capt. Luis Avila, who was injured in 2011 by an IED in Afghanistan.
Actor Gary Sinise attended the dedication in Maryland of a specially outfitted home that his foundation built for an Army captain who was severely wounded in Afghanistan.

cxada40veaa0njnjpg-13-nov-2016-ts600.jpeg

The Gary Sinise Foundation says in a statement that the ceremony Friday in Chevy Chase marked the completion of one of more than 50 "smart homes" that the organization has built or is building for wounded veterans and their families.

Capt. Luis Avila was injured when an improvised bomb exploded in 2011. He lost his left leg and suffered two strokes, two heart attacks and brain damage. He is undergoing therapy at the nearby Walter Reed National Medical Center. Avila is married, with three sons. Sinise played a wounded veteran, Lt. Dan Taylor, in the Oscar-winning movie "Forrest Gump."

Gary Sinise Dedicates 'Smart Home' Built for Wounded Veteran | Military.com

See also:

‘Welcome Home My Friend’ – Gary Sinise Foundation Provides New Home for Wounded Vet
November 16, 2016
WJZ in Baltimore recently reported that the Gary Sinise Foundation donated a new home to a wounded veteran. U.S. Army Captain Luis Avila was severely injured in an IED blast in Iraq in 2011. He lost his left leg and suffered two strokes, two heart attacks and brain damage. He is undergoing therapy at the nearby Walter Reed National Medical Center.

The Gary Sinise Foundation builds “smart homes” for wounded veterans, houses that are equipped with special technology to make navigation and common tasks easy. The Avilas are the 15th family this year to receive a home sponsored by the Gary Sinise Foundation.

“It is my honor to be here to honor him and his family on this special day,” said Sinise. “Thank you for all you’ve given and for all you’ve sacrificed on behalf of this nation. “Thank you very much from the bottom of my heart,” Captain Avila’s wife, Claudia, said. “Welcome home my friend," Sinise said.

‘Welcome Home My Friend’ – Gary Sinise Foundation Provides New Home for Wounded Vet

Sinise is tolerated by the Hollywood community only if he continues to portray members of the American Military as victims rather than heroes. When was the last time Sinise had a Hollywood event to honor a Medal of Honor recipient?

Sinise is tolerated by the Hollywood community only if he continues to portray members of the American Military as victims rather than heroes. When was the last time Sinise had a Hollywood event to honor a Medal of Honor recipient?

Gary Sinise is a good egg. His foundation has done amazing work for our veterans and yet you're still pissing and moaning. Get a life.

Forum List

Back