Johnson Gary Johnson need to take this opening and run with it!

Discussion in 'Gary Johnson' started by Bruce_T_Laney, Oct 9, 2016.

1. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    No less ridiculous that any other politician I've seen lately. A bit immature, maybe, but at least he's not lying, stretching the truth, or dodging the question. More than I can say for Trump and Clinton...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Anathema

Anathema Crotchety Olde Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,411
    I'm saying that at this point in human history, I believe Authoritarianism is the only feasible way to ensure a Proper Society.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. oldsoul

oldsoul Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,157
    I disagree. I believe that if people are allowed to make their own decisions, and are expected to deal with the consequences thereof, people will, for the most part, make good decisions. Thus making Authoritarianism destructive, at best. I say destructive because it takes away a person's ability to make decisions, both good and bad, and learn from them. This, invariably, leads to tyranny.
    Let me give you an example:
    We'll look at two teenagers that begin High School as friends and have similar interests, and moral compass. We'll even say that they are both the same gender.
    Now, Teen (a) has parents that continually allow them to make more and more decisions for themselves, and expect them to deal with the consequences. They go on to get reasonably good grades (although this teen does struggle a few times due to poor decision-making), graduate and go on to higher education. Eventually earning a degree or diploma, and starting a successful career in a field they enjoy.

Teen (b), however, has parents that do not allow them to make many decisions, and protect them from as many consequences as they can. This teen begins to believe they are different from their friend, and the friendship fades and is lost. These parents are well intentioned and thus require school work to be a priority. The teen goes on to have exceptional grades and attends a prestigious university on an academic scholarship. Unfortunately, they have little to no decision-making skills, and a lot of pent-up teenage rebelliousness. Therefore they ultimately squander the opportunity, and loose their scholarship. Sense they are unaccustomed to dealing with the consequences of their decisions, they blame the school, their parents or who-ever, but not themselves. They begin to feel as though they have been wronged, and are owned something. They never finish their education and are forever looking for someone to give them what they believe they are owed.

Now replace "teen" with "average citizen", and "parents" with "government", and you have the difference between our beliefs. You say that authoritarianism is the only way to save our society. I say authoritarianism, though it may work for a while, cannot ultimately sustain our society as founded. It will only lead to tyranny, simply because, eventually the pent-up desire to be the master of one's own life will eventually rear it's head in the form of rebellion. This rebellion will bring on calls for more control, and thus begins the spiral into tyranny and total government control.

If you see another way for this to play out, by all means explain it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,068
    Give up...he is a psychopathic nut dreaming of a society that is equal parts North Korea and the Third Reich.

5. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    If Morals and Values are enforced Ruthlessly, then Trump can't be president.

P.S. Hillary also fails.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    If people would vote for who they believe is the best candidate rather than voting for who they think can win, perhaps the best candidate would win more often.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,194
    People don't want the old pothead. Sorry.

8. JoeMoma

JoeMoma Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,018
    Probably not. However, DJT and HRC both suck.

9. Iceweasel

Iceweasel Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,194
    I like Trump, he's the only politician I've ever heard take it to the Clintons the way they deserve. Lately he's gone all out.

10. Montrovant

Montrovant Fuzzy bears!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,909
    Is 'taking it to the Clintons' an important qualification for president?