Gary Johnson: Family Leader pledge gives Republicans a bad name

Well this happened in a matter of days, so I think it was backlash from his expected base that prompted him to change his mind. Regardless, I think Ron Paul is a better candidate, and more consistent.

I understand you probably don't want Gary Johnson to run because he is the candidate that would take the most votes away from Ron Paul. That being said, I would say Johnson is more of a Libertarian than Paul.

Modbert is correct. Ron Paul is primarily a Constitutionalist, and only secondarily a Libertarian. As even Kevin K admits, Ron Paul's stance on immigration is less libertarian than conservative, reflecting the perogative of someone more concerned with the limited gov't principles he believes is embodied in the Constitution. Likewise, Ron Paul's position on abortion is the States should decide.

But even though I align with GJ ideologically more than RP, GJ's primary advantage to me is his experience. He has executive experience, and I believe that is crucial for a Presidential candidate to have.

Gotta love Johnson. He always speaks his mind. He also called them out on Medicare Part D.

The GOP will never go for him. He is too conservative for those statists.

Johnson continues to be by far the most reasonable Republican running for the Presidency in 2012. It's too bad he doesn't get nearly enough attention.

Gary Johnson: Family Leader pledge gives Republicans a bad name | Iowa Caucuses

Republican presidential candidate Gary Johnson thinks the pledge that an Iowa Christian conservative group is circulating is offensive because it condemn gays, single parents, divorcees, Muslims, women who choose to have abortions “and everyone else who doesn’t fit in a Norman Rockwell painting.”
Johnson in a news release and in a speech at the Conservative Leadership Conference in Las Vegas Saturday said the pledge gives Republicans a bad name.

“Government should not be involved in the bedrooms of consenting adults. I have always been a strong advocate of liberty and freedom from unnecessary government intervention into our lives,” he said in the written statement.
Rest of his statement after the jump, worth the read.

Tried to find something nasty about him after I mentioned him, didn't you?

funny that the rightwingnuts are eerily quiet.

While I don't support Johnson as my choice for 2012 like I use to, I still think he's by far the most reasonable Republican in 2012. For those who haven't heard much about him, he's Ron Paul without the religious baggage. He's a true Libertarian and more of a real Conservative than most so-called Conservatives in the GOP.

The only religious baggage Ron Paul has is in the minds of idiots who think he is willing to pander to idiots.

Ron Paul On His Religion And Homosexuality | Mark Wagner - Yet Another Blog

While I don't support Johnson as my choice for 2012 like I use to, I still think he's by far the most reasonable Republican in 2012. For those who haven't heard much about him, he's Ron Paul without the religious baggage. He's a true Libertarian and more of a real Conservative than most so-called Conservatives in the GOP.

What makes him a "true libertarian?"

Modbert gets to define everyone, even people he knows nothing about.

:lol: Someone clearly thinks the world revolves around them. I've been a fan of Gary Johnson on USMB for over a year now.

But you haven't let the facts stop you yet, so why start now? :thup:

:lol: Someone clearly thinks the world revolves around them. I've been a fan of Gary Johnson on USMB for over a year now.

But you haven't let the facts stop you yet, so why start now? :thup:

Can you point back to me being on this board for 4 years?

But don't let facts stand in your way.

Can you point back to me being on this board for 4 years?

But don't let facts stand in your way.

What are you babbling on about now?

Furthermore, you clearly think the world revolves around you since you seem to think I made a thread about Johnson simply because you may have mentioned him. Considering I did nothing but compliment him in this thread, I find it hilarious that you tried to say I was attempting to attack him. :lol:

He's in favor of turning the country into drug-crazed zombies. That marks the true narco-libertarian.

Note to OP: No one gives a shit about Gary Johnson. No one gives a shit about liberals' opinion of Gary Johnson.

at least he's not insane.... but he probably figured out that the right goes into meltdown when anyone talks about closing gitmo.

i heard him talk. he's better than most of the libertarian types and doesn't think government should make moral judgments for us.

which is why he doesn't stand a chance.

Well at first he stated he supported keeping Gitmo open, but then put up on his website that he would support closing it. So his position now is to close it, but to me that's sketchy considering what he said before.

people change their minds. if that's your only issue with him, then maybe he's your guy.

no one is ideologically pure. nor can we expect people to be. i find pragmatism mixed with an idea of what is right and wrong works pretty well. but then again, i tend not to get ideologues.

Intelligent people review their opinions as further information and evidence comes to light.... that's a good thing.

One of the few things I actually like about Obama is that he put reality over political point scoring about Gitmo. Sure, we'd all like it to go.... but right now, it's a necessary evil, and even Obama knows it.

From his book Liberty Defined:

"I'd like to settle the debate by turning it into a First Amendment issue: the right of free speech. Everyone can have his or her own definition of what marriage means, and if an agreement or contract is reached by the participants, it will qualify as a civil contract if desired."

The problem is that he misses another part of the First Amendment.... the Right of Free Association. If you want the "Right" to engage in whatever form of Marriage Contract you deem appropriate, I want the "Right" to tell you that I'm not going to do business with you because of that marriage contract. If I own the only hardware store in town, the Government is going to tell me I can't do that because it's "discriminatory". There was a time in this country when having "discriminating" tastes was considered a good thing.

Well at first he stated he supported keeping Gitmo open, but then put up on his website that he would support closing it. So his position now is to close it, but to me that's sketchy considering what he said before.

people change their minds. if that's your only issue with him, then maybe he's your guy.

no one is ideologically pure. nor can we expect people to be. i find pragmatism mixed with an idea of what is right and wrong works pretty well. but then again, i tend not to get ideologues.

Intelligent people review their opinions as further information and evidence comes to light.... that's a good thing.

One of the few things I actually like about Obama is that he put reality over political point scoring about Gitmo. Sure, we'd all like it to go.... but right now, it's a necessary evil, and even Obama knows it.

What drug have you taken? Obama did not put reality anywhere. The Democrats in Congress would not allow Gitmo to be closed. Obama had nothing to do with that decision.

A sane Republican who considers the needs of others....He doesn't have a prayer

Who the hell is Gary Johnson?:lol:

He really should change parties, he's a Obama loving Progressive Republican.. no wonder the lefties LOVE him, he puts down his OWN PARTY.

He's in favor of turning the country into drug-crazed zombies. That marks the true narco-libertarian.

Note to OP: No one gives a shit about Gary Johnson. No one gives a shit about liberals' opinion of Gary Johnson.

Not really. There are plenty of progressives also in favor of drug legalization.

From his book Liberty Defined:

"I'd like to settle the debate by turning it into a First Amendment issue: the right of free speech. Everyone can have his or her own definition of what marriage means, and if an agreement or contract is reached by the participants, it will qualify as a civil contract if desired."

The problem is that he misses another part of the First Amendment.... the Right of Free Association. If you want the "Right" to engage in whatever form of Marriage Contract you deem appropriate, I want the "Right" to tell you that I'm not going to do business with you because of that marriage contract. If I own the only hardware store in town, the Government is going to tell me I can't do that because it's "discriminatory". There was a time in this country when having "discriminating" tastes was considered a good thing.

Ron Paul would agree with you.

Who the hell is Gary Johnson?:lol:

He really should change parties, he's a Obama loving Progressive Republican.. no wonder the lefties LOVE him, he puts down his OWN PARTY.

Yes, we can't have a Republican willing to point out where he thinks Republicans are wrong. As for being "progressive," there was nothing progressive about his record as Governor of New Mexico. Unlike Romney, Pawlenty, or Palin Johnson actually shrank the size of government during his two terms.

Forum List

Back