Gardners out there?

o and i know shogun loves to hear about this....i have already began to plot my canning for the fair in the fall....the beets elude me..best i have done there is 3rd place...last year i didnt do anything....da man did well with his honey and all....

why in the hell would anyone can 200 pts of green beans....

course there are only 2 of us

Last edited:
o and i know shogun loves to hear about this....i have already began to plot my canning for the fair in the fall....the beets elude me..best i have done there is 3rd place...last year i didnt do anything....da man did well with his honey and all....

why in the hell would anyone can 200 pts of green beans....

course there are only 2 of us

nice. My last attempt as a mango/habenero sauce didn't really take so I have that on my list of shit to can as well as trying to recreate a red pepper jelly and maybe a cherry mint jelly. Also, I'm going to try and create my own bbq sauce this summer (if I ever get time) and want to can that as well.

I've been eating fresh tomato and provolone sammichs for over a week now, I just can't eat them fast enough. I looked closely in the garden, there's not a mexican in sight, so I bite down hard on my lip and pick the tomatos.

My roma tomatoes are just starting to turn, jalapenos, serrano, and yellow peppers are producing, and so many cukes that I've got a year's worth of pickles put up already. Zucchini and butternut squash have made so well I've been giving them away for a couple of weeks. Still waiting for okra, peas, grapes, melons, and nectarines.

I have mint in my garden. Any good ways to use it? You can only drink so much mint tea.

Mojito:

Ingredients
3 sprigs fresh mint
2 teaspoons sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice or lime juice, fresh
1 1/2 ounces light rum
club soda, chilled

Directions
1In a tall thin glass, crush or muddle part of the mint with a fork to coat the inside.
2Add the sugar and lime juice and stir thoroughly.
3Top with ice.
4Add rum and mix.
5Top off with the club soda (or seltzer).
6Add a lime or lemon slice and the remaining mint.
7Serves one.

I have mint in my garden. Any good ways to use it? You can only drink so much mint tea.

Mint is invasive as hell. Be careful where you plant it and keep it in check, or you will have nothing but mint.

Yes, it's mildly invasive here, nothing excessively difficult to handle. The chamomile has been more annoying with its aggressive reseeding.

Oregano is a nice perennial, and so is thyme. My raspberries are highly invasive, but worth the effort.

Just picked my first white half runner beans yesterday.
Also summer squash and taters.
Radishes and lettuce about gone.
Good job.
Now. Make the garden 4 times as big and study canning and preserving. Yahoo groups has a busy canning club.
You'll thank me in about 2 years.

Too late on that.
Canned maybe 200 jars of beans last year.

4 times as big? I am having to sub the work out to the GC now as it is.
It's nice to see someone who has it figured out. Not many Murkins garden like their parents and grandparents did. It makes a hell of a difference to your wallet and your health.
I cant recall the last time I bought food.I trade exotic fruit for pork and make my own ham, bacon and sausage, grow Tilapia, Guapote, crayfish and Pacu, chickens and rabbits.
Down here you can do any vegetable year round.

Good job.
Now. Make the garden 4 times as big and study canning and preserving. Yahoo groups has a busy canning club.

Too late on that.

It's nice to see someone who has it figured out. Not many Murkins garden like their parents and grandparents did. It makes a hell of a difference to your wallet and your health.
I cant recall the last time I bought food.I trade exotic fruit for pork and make my own ham, bacon and sausage, grow Tilapia, Guapote, crayfish and Pacu, chickens and rabbits.

Busy fella

Just picked my first white half runner beans yesterday.
Also summer squash and taters.
Radishes and lettuce about gone.

Gardners out there?

No, he was 'safe'
pnc%20107.jpg

large_brett-gardner514.jpg

Good job.

Too late on that.

I'd heard of Tilapia (although have been put-off because I learned that a major part of their diet is the waste from other fish).

Guapote is not a "magic Mushroom"

RonGuapote2.jpg

this is a Pacu:

october2008_0043_pacu_55lb.JPG

You must live in a tropical area

Mint is invasive as hell. Be careful where you plant it and keep it in check, or you will have nothing but mint.

that is very true. Mi madre had a single mint plant in her garden one year and by my hs graduation it had taken over the whole bed AND that side of the yard. Smelled like a wrigley factory when mowing!

Too late on that.

I'd heard of Tilapia (although have been put-off because I learned that a major part of their diet is the waste from other fish).

Guapote is not a "magic Mushroom"

RonGuapote2.jpg

this is a Pacu:

october2008_0043_pacu_55lb.JPG

You must live in a tropical area

either that or he lives near a fish store and has his own pond. Pacu are reeled in by fishermen all the time in the US because of fish dumping after outgrowing an aquarium.

but, fish are like the rat of the water. They are only slightly less disgusting to eat than shellfish - shit eaters - and should be avoided at all cost.

Forum List

Back