Gardners out there?

I love Brandywine tomatoes. The smell that clings to your hands after picking them is wonderful.

I have never tried or seen brandywine tomatoes as far as I know.
How are they for eating?

How are they for eating?

They are an Heirloom tomato. Look for them or if you cant find them order them.

Its large red irregular tomato. So if you looking for a perfect round tomato its not for you. Low acid wonderful flavor! I make canned sauce with them. Half roma for body and the brandywine's for flavor.

How are they for eating?

They are an Heirloom tomato. Look for them or if you cant find them order them.

Its large red irregular tomato. So if you looking for a perfect round tomato its not for you. Low acid wonderful flavor! I make canned sauce with them. Half roma for body and the brandywine's for flavor.

Thanks for the info I will look for them.

I currently just have about 12 beefsteak and 25 Rutgers plants with a couple of cherry tomatoes. I prefer the non hybrid varieties.

uscitizen, how could anyone in the US be harvesting potatoes in June?

Small new potatoes. My potatoes are waay ahead of everyone elses. I planted them last year.

I Plant whole left over russet potatoes late in the year when the ground gets cold.
As soon as it warms up they come up.
Mine have already been thru the bloom cycle a couple of weeks ago.

It's cold here. I have tomatoes and basil in a garden window, the only possibility for growing them. We have lettuce ready, cabbage thriving, cilantro reseeded, parsley patch, lots of German Chamomile, green onions, perennial herbs... Waiting for yellow wax beans to sprout.

Looks like a good fruit crop this year with apples, cherries, plums, raspberries and currants thriving.

It's cold here. I have tomatoes and basil in a garden window, the only possibility for growing them. We have lettuce ready, cabbage thriving, cilantro reseeded, parsley patch, lots of German Chamomile, green onions, perennial herbs... Waiting for yellow wax beans to sprout.

Looks like a good fruit crop this year with apples, cherries, plums, raspberries and currants thriving.

I am going to sneak up into your garden and rob you! Sounds yummy!

Zowie, that is cool. Do they taste different from store bought?

Nope just clones of the russet ones you buy.
I save the taters that get old or have eyes growing on them in a ventillated but dark box in the basement for planting.
They grow up to look just like the ones you bought, sometimes bigger. And free and even if not free as salvage still cheaper than seed taters even if you buy them new and plant them.

I guess they have not figured out how to sterilize them to keep people from planting them.

The trouble with potatoes, I've found, is you can't get rid of them. It's hard to get every potato dug up, but if you don't, they come back again. I read that it's important to rotate them, is that true?

I didn't plant any this year. Finally was able to get rid of some I planted several years back.

The good thing about them is that they thrive in this short growing season here.

I've been eating fresh tomato and provolone sammichs for over a week now, I just can't eat them fast enough. I looked closely in the garden, there's not a mexican in sight, so I bite down hard on my lip and pick the tomatos.

You guys in the Southern regions are already harvesting crops we here in Maine just put in the ground.

Planting hereabout usually happens June 1. (because of potential frost)

Harvest (crop dependent) starts in August and runs through October.

I have a red rose bush and canna lily that are doing quite well this year. I have shade issues at this location so often my veggies are hit or miss. this year they are a miss. But, I have some scarlet begonias (and I knew without askin she was into the blues) that are doing well too.

I have been picking my strawberries since the Middle of May, this is their 2nd year. They have come up twice as big as last year and man are they good. Much better than store bought.

Just picked my first white half runner beans yesterday.
Also summer squash and taters.
Radishes and lettuce about gone.
Good job.
Now. Make the garden 4 times as big and study canning and preserving. Yahoo groups has a busy canning club.
You'll thank me in about 2 years.

Too late on that.
Canned maybe 200 jars of beans last year.

4 times as big? I am having to sub the work out to the GC now as it is.

we got every thing coming up now in our garden.some stuff had to be replanted like the corn froze.june is the only time you dont have to worry about any more frost.i have a strawberry bed started.

well the strawberry patch has about had it....the beets look good..the corn will be more than knee high by the 4th of july.....the aspargus is gone....green beans and pink tipped beans need poles...the tomatos are in cages....taters are growing....we are eating spinach, lettuce, onions, broccilli...from the garden...

something got in my herbs..the cilantro bite the dust...sage and all doing well....its a worm eat herb world out there

looks good from my porch

New Topics

Forum List

Back