Garage Sales on Rise With Economic Downturn

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
A vote for McBush will help US in these ecomonic times - Not

When the ship runs aground, you blame the captain at the wheel. Not a captain who had the wheel in the past.

MANTECA, Calif. — As the classified ads put it, everything must go. Socks. Christmas ornaments. Microwave ovens. Three-year-old Marita Duarte’s tricycle, sold by her mother, Beatriz, to a stranger for $3 even as her daughter was riding it.

Three-year-old Marita Duarte watched as her family sold their possessions, including her tricycle, at a recent garage sale in Manteca, Calif.
On Mission Ridge Drive and other avenues, lanes and ways in this formerly booming community, even birthday celebrations must go. “It was no money, no birthday,” said Ms. Duarte, who lost her job as a floral designer two months ago. The family commemorated Marita’s third birthday without presents last week, the occasion marked by a small cake with Cinderella on the vanilla frosting. They will move into a rental apartment next month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/25/us/25garage.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Last edited:
Garage sales in Florida suck.

You need to go to the ones in the Midwest. You can really get some great stuff that has been sitting around in someone's attic for years.

I found a beautiful picture of McCain and Hoover golfing at the Presidential.:eusa_whistle:

I heard in some places they are only allowing you to only have one a month or something like that. I will try to find something!

As a liberal, how do you feel about such a thing?
I would probably have to agree with it, otherwise it might go against some zoning law! There is a house I drive by on my to work and they look like they have a garage sale almost all the time and just leave the shit out the yard. And with the housing market the way it is I am sure it wouldn't help your neighbors home value!

I would probably have to agree with it, otherwise it might go against some zoning law! There is a house I drive by on my to work and they look like they have a garage sale almost all the time and just leave the shit out the yard. And with the housing market the way it is I am sure it wouldn't help your neighbors home value!

There's a big difference between just leaving your shit out for days, and having a garage sale more frequently than once a month.

But you shouldn't need a law to enforce something that two mature neighbors ought to be able to handle between themselves. If you're selling your house, and your neighbor is being a slob, simply use a little diplomacy and kindly ask them to use a little more courtesy.

A once a month garage sale law is ridiculous. Having frequent garage sales to rid yourself of unwanted items is easily distinguishable between trying to run some kind of shady, undocumented business in your own front yard. Sooner or later, it would become obvious to officials if you weren't merely getting rid of a finite amount of unwanted junk.

There's a big difference between just leaving your shit out for days, and having a garage sale more frequently than once a month.

But you shouldn't need a law to enforce something that two mature neighbors ought to be able to handle between themselves. If you're selling your house, and your neighbor is being a slob, simply use a little diplomacy and kindly ask them to use a little more courtesy.

A once a month garage sale law is ridiculous. Having frequent garage sales to rid yourself of unwanted items is easily distinguishable between trying to run some kind of shady, undocumented business in your own front yard. Sooner or later, it would become obvious to officials if you weren't merely getting rid of a finite amount of unwanted junk.
You are probably right! Plus how are they going to regulate this? I wish I could find a link to something, I first heard it about it on the news but I don't know if it was local or national!

You need to go to the ones in the Midwest. You can really get some great stuff that has been sitting around in someone's attic for years.

I found a beautiful picture of McCain and Hoover golfing at the Presidential.:eusa_whistle:

find any of Obama and Karl Marx?

Tell me about it. The first garage sale I went to down here, I actually choked on my soda reading the price stickers. Pretty damn proud of their junk, these people. And I emphasize the work "junk".

The best sales I've gotten to attend were in Oklahoma and Texas, in well-heeled neighborhoods. I'm horrified what the wealthy often consider trash. Horrified all the way to the car, lugging as much as I could carry. :eusa_whistle:

Tell me about it. The first garage sale I went to down here, I actually choked on my soda reading the price stickers. Pretty damn proud of their junk, these people. And I emphasize the work "junk".

The best sales I've gotten to attend were in Oklahoma and Texas, in well-heeled neighborhoods. I'm horrified what the wealthy often consider trash. Horrified all the way to the car, lugging as much as I could carry. :eusa_whistle:

LOL

Did you get any OU T-shirts?

What's the latest on your team? I'm out of the college football loop this week, need an update? Are they still in the run for a BCS Game?

LOL

Did you get any OU T-shirts?

What's the latest on your team? I'm out of the college football loop this week, need an update? Are they still in the run for a BCS Game?

It's not often you find OU stuff being sold at garage sales at home LOL. Although - before we got Stoops I got some good stuff in Brookhaven, including an unused Sooneropoly game, a stadium cushion, a basketball club jacket and a set of plastic stadium cups with the old, slanted logos. Three bucks for the lot. Woo-HOO! :lol:

On track for BCS? Dang right we are. And I feel no hesitation in wishing the 'Horns worst of luck with the rest of their season. :eusa_whistle:

You should see what people are selling on ebay. I think a lot of the "big money" folks who might have lost their jobs are suddenly trying to unload everything...we're talkilng Tanzanite rings for $8,000 and Private airplanes and Helicopters. Tons of coach bags and really expensive Jimmy Choos and women who say their cleaning out their closets and selling clothing that still has tags on it like shirts for $1,000. You can tell when someone is selling off their own stuff because the rings sizes, shoe sizes and clothing sizes will all be the same. A lot of wealthy people are downsizing.......Probably used their houses as ATM machines and now THEIR MORTGAGES just doubled in size......
not all the bad loans were made to poor people.....a lot of middle class people got home equity lines of credit to live like the rich. They bought houses for $500,000 and they were suddenly worth $1,000,000 and they took out all the equity inbetween.....

I'm telling you.....if you have money...toys are going for bargain basement prices!

Here, the tag on her ebay ad is "New Lower Price - My Husband Wants This Ring Sold" http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Tanzanite-D...yZ164343QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
Damn, what is it with the Indiana stuff on here tonight?

First the racist from Franklin, IN, now they can't have garage sales when they want?

What's next, you going to tell me they cancelled the rest of the Colts season?

(Which if we lose to Tenn. on Monday Night Football they might as well! :eek: }
Yeah I guess I heard today they cancelled the season and Manning is going to play for the Seahawks! I wish!

Forum List

Back