Gamer killed for selling "Cyber Sword"

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
A Shanghai online game player has stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber sword for real money.

The sale created a legal dilemma because China has no law covering the ownership of virtual weapons.

The China Daily newspaper reported that a Shanghai court was told Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his dragon sabre, used in the popular online game Legend of Mir 3,

The online game features heroes and villains, sorcerers and warriors, many of whom wield enormous swords.

Qiu and a friend jointly won their virtual weapon last February and lent it to Zhu, who then sold it for 7,200 yuan.

Read the rest at:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200503/s1334618.htm

-Cp said:
The China Daily newspaper reported that a Shanghai court was told Qiu Chengwei, 41, stabbed competitor Zhu Caoyuan repeatedly in the chest after he was told Zhu had sold his dragon sabre, used in the popular online game Legend of Mir 3,
[/url]

The logical title for a Movie about this event has already been used:

"Revenge of the Nerds"

They could use:

"When 40-year-old-virgins Attack!"

-Cp said:
A Shanghai online game player has stabbed to death a competitor who sold his cyber sword for real money.

Forgive the ignorance. But you're going to have to 'splain to me how one goes about selling a "virtual" anything. And what good could it possibly do to the new owner???

Wonder if I could sell a virtual car. Or maybe a virtual house???

Maybe give the wife a ten carat virtual diamond for our anniversary?? I guess if I did that I'd be having virtual sex for a loooong time.

Merlin1047 said:
Forgive the ignorance. But you're going to have to 'splain to me how one goes about selling a "virtual" anything. And what good could it possibly do to the new owner???

Maybe give the wife a ten carat virtual diamond for our anniversary?? I guess if I did that I'd be having virtual sex for a loooong time.

I play Everquest. Believe it or not, there are people out there buying virtual money (platinum pieces) and gear for real hard U.S. currency. They are too lazy or stupid or impatient to play the game and acquire it as the game intends. I laugh every time I think about it.

There are sites where you can go to arrange the transfer of the virtual cash/items after you pay for it via credit card.

Merlin1047 said:

speaking of virtual sex....a local station today announced that there is a prototype vagina and penis that you can buy and and then hook up on an online virtual sex room to get you ya yas out....

Go to eBay, and type in "Everquest" and see what you get. :D

Forum List

Back