Game of Thrones -- the Books. Spolier Alert!

CrusaderFrank

Diamond Member
May 20, 2009
OK. This is about the Books, not the HBO show.

If you are watching the show and not reading the book, STAY OUT!

Fire at Will!

First, it's impossible for me to keep track of the minor characters. The single space list of characters in the back of Book IV is about 60 pages long so when Brienne runs into someone she had a conflict with 12 chapters ago, I'm like "who the fuck are you?"

And the reason for this is that Martin likes to kills off good characters like they were crime family heads at the Corleone Baptism.

Killing Eddard became forgivable because Robb rises to the task of leading the North. Then the Red Wedding? What the fuck was that, George? Are you insane?! It reads like a Lustbader novel where characters are killed almost as soon as you meet them.

In Book IV, Cat becomes a killer wraith and has Brienne executed. Seriously? What the fuck was that, George? Are you insane?! So now Im reading it like the instruction manual to a complicated devise I bought and have to plow through -- it sucks all the joy out of reading it. Arya's blind? Seriously? What the fuck was that, George? Are you insane?!

I still remember Thorin Oakenshield's death in the Hobbit, it was moving. In GOT Martin would develop a dwarf country and feel free to kill off all Bilbo's Companions.

I will read Book V the next 2 weeks.

I can see Bran Dany and Gendry being the three heads of the Dragon and I won't give a single fuck

Did he take the RR middle initials as homage to Tolkien?

Drogo was Frodo's father
The Dead ride in both LOTR and GOT
Oakenshield

In all fairness, I reread LOTR and the Hobbit with great affection because you grown to like and love and care about the characters, whereas in GOT they get fucking whacked

Had Martin wrote LOTR Tom Bombadil would be a dead man along with Gandalf, Elrond, the dwarves and Galadriel would be swinging from a tree in Lothlorian. But Gandalfs cousin Radagast the Brown would have mentioned a land and we'd get an 800 page book on the history, characters and plot twists of this new land only to watch them all die before the end.

Sure I'll read book 5 later this month because I'm invested this far in it but at this point, there's no one to root for.

Sam? Seriously?

Gendry? Seriously?

Jorah? He's OK

Who is the Dark Lord? Petr Baelish?

Undead Cat? Seriously? That's supposed make us cheer? Maybe she can find Robb's defaced corpse and we can have a King of the North with a wolf head?

There are quite a few memorable parts. I liked Tyrion speech at the gate “There are brave men knocking on our door—let's go kill them!” I liked the priest (I forget his name (big fucking surprise)) (he rode with Brienne) describing how commoners come to battle

in reality....this is the first fantasy series i have ever read....

i prefer crime....in all my romances...one person is always dead....lol

you sexy thing you

james lee burke's series...with dave

yes i am done....i am so confused .....okay....seems to be a lot of traveling....some of it was touching.....ayra is no longer blind....but mostly it was traveling....i never cared all that much for jon and i seriously doubt he is dead

Seriously how much does it suck that a nobody like Valerion fucking Greyjoy has a bigger role than Robb or Jon?

And what the fucking fuck was the fucking point of Stannis and Melissandra? what a complete total absolute waste of time and effort!

And im all fried out on dany and her stupid dragons he had to drag her across 4 new countries jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

And i liked Mance Ryder and the fucking boltons and fryes are still alive?!!

If he redid To Kill a Mockingbird, Atticus Jem and Scout would all be dead

Do you see how much this blows?

Last edited:
Seriously how much does it suck that a nobody like Valerion fucking Greyjoy has a bigger role than Robb or Jon?

And what the fucking fuck was the fucking point of Stannis and Melissandra? what a complete total absolute waste of time and effort!

And im all fried out on dany and her stupid dragons he had to drag her across 4 new countries jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzz

the author clearly is in crisis.

the 5th book was a punt.

the 4th book was a punt, too. if i recall correctly.

he is basically going east when he should go west.

the author clearly is in crisis.

the 5th book was a punt.

the 4th book was a punt, too. if i recall correctly.

he is basically going east when he should go west.

these first 5 books are like Tolkeins The Silmarillion, it's the stuff that happens before that story that's worth reading.

Too bad Martin doesn't have any real friends. They would have told him, Are you insane? are you an asshole?

okay i been mulling this whole thing over......

i am gonna have to go with frankie on this one...i read a lot of james lee burke books....i so look forward to his new books coming out etc...

not with this one....i am just kinda over it.....i dont even care about book 6 at this point

but you have to temper this will the fact that this is the first fantasy series i have read

Forum List

Back