Gallup: Tea Party Supporters Overlap Republican Base

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Eight out of 10 Tea Party supporters are Republicans

Tea Party Supporters Overlap Republican Base

Conservative Republicans outnumber moderate/liberal Republicans in the general population by about a 2-to-1 margin; among Tea Party supporters, the ratio is well more than 3 to 1. More generally, almost 8 out of 10 Tea Party supporters are Republicans, compared with 44% of all national adults.

These findings are based on three surveys Gallup conducted in March, May, and June of this year. Thirty percent of Americans, on average, identify as Tea Party supporters -- a percentage remarkably consistent across the three surveys.

This potential impact is clear from data showing that Tea Party supporters are more enthusiastic about voting this year than are Americans overall, and more likely to say they are certain to vote. At the same time, Tea Party supporters are no more enthusiastic or certain to vote than the traditional Republican base -- conservative Republicans.

While Tea Party supporters are not universal in their backing of Republican candidates, they skew heavily in that direction. About 80% of Tea Party supporters say they will vote for the Republican candidate in their district, slightly lower than the projected 95% Republican vote among conservative Republicans.

The Tea Party movement has received considerable news coverage this year, in large part because it appears to represent a new and potentially powerful force on the American political scene. Whether Tea Party supporters are a voting segment that is unique and distinct from the more traditional Republican conservative base, however, appears questionable. There is significant overlap between Tea Party supporters and conservative Republicans, both groups are highly enthusiastic about voting, and both are heavily skewed toward Republican candidates -- although the latter somewhat more so than the former.

Thanks Gallup for reconfirming what most of us already knew.

I wonder how many Communist Party members overlap the Democrat base? Probably an equal percentage.

Eight out of 10 Tea Party supporters are Republicans

Tea Party Supporters Overlap Republican Base

Conservative Republicans outnumber moderate/liberal Republicans in the general population by about a 2-to-1 margin; among Tea Party supporters, the ratio is well more than 3 to 1. More generally, almost 8 out of 10 Tea Party supporters are Republicans, compared with 44% of all national adults.

These findings are based on three surveys Gallup conducted in March, May, and June of this year. Thirty percent of Americans, on average, identify as Tea Party supporters -- a percentage remarkably consistent across the three surveys.

While Tea Party supporters are not universal in their backing of Republican candidates, they skew heavily in that direction. About 80% of Tea Party supporters say they will vote for the Republican candidate in their district, slightly lower than the projected 95% Republican vote among conservative Republicans.

The Tea Party movement has received considerable news coverage this year, in large part because it appears to represent a new and potentially powerful force on the American political scene. Whether Tea Party supporters are a voting segment that is unique and distinct from the more traditional Republican conservative base, however, appears questionable. There is significant overlap between Tea Party supporters and conservative Republicans, both groups are highly enthusiastic about voting, and both are heavily skewed toward Republican candidates -- although the latter somewhat more so than the former.

Thanks Gallup for reconfirming what most of us already knew.

You are mistaken:

"The teaparty is an independent grass roots movement that is not aligned with any single party and recognizes no leader."TM

The tea party is the GOP base.

Hey comon. Stop that nonsense!!! They're overwhelmingly rightwing Republicans who will overwhelmingly vote Republican in the fall...

...how the hell did you get from that to labeling them the 'GOP base'??!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(The real question is, how did THEY get from that to claiming it wasn't the case?)

Where are all the teabaggers to tell us that we are sooooo wrong and then chant the war cry: "Wait until November, motherfuckers!"?
Not worth the effort.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zsUNnFVMsE]Teabagger Pride[/ame]

This, however, always is ;)

Where are all the teabaggers to tell us that we are sooooo wrong and then chant the war cry: "Wait until November, motherfuckers!"?
Not worth the effort.

That and the OP basically supports what we've been saying all along.

I personally can't wait until November. I think the teabaggers will get a couple of candidates in office. I think Rand Paul is a lock. However, I think they will screw up a lot more elections.

It will be a net flop. Why? Because the teabaggers were going to vote against the DEM candidate anyways. Meanwhile, the moderates are going to become increasingly turned off by the bizarre hard right mentality of the teabaggers.

tombstones.jpg

Democrat Base

Not worth the effort.

I personally can't wait until November. I think the teabaggers will get a couple of candidates in office. I think Rand Paul is a lock. However, I think they will screw up a lot more elections.

It will be a net flop. Why? Because the teabaggers were going to vote against the DEM candidate anyways. Meanwhile, the moderates are going to become increasingly turned off by the bizarre hard right mentality of the teabaggers.

The Contract from America
May 23, 2010

We, the citizens of the United States of America, call upon those seeking to represent us in public office to sign the Contract from America and by doing so commit to support each of its agenda items and advocate on behalf of individual liberty, limited government, and economic freedom.

Protect the Constitution
Reject Cap & Trade
Demand a Balanced Budget
Enact Fundamental Tax Reform
Restore Fiscal Responsibility & Constitutionally Limited Government
End Runaway Government Spending
Defund, Repeal, & Replace Government-run Health Care
Pass an ‘All-of-the-Above” Energy Policy
Stop the Pork
Stop the Tax Hikes

Not worth the effort.

Teabagger Pride

The Contract from America
May 23, 2010

We, the citizens of the United States of America, call upon those seeking to represent us in public office to sign the Contract from America and by doing so commit to support each of its agenda items and advocate on behalf of individual liberty, limited government, and economic freedom.

Protect the Constitution
Reject Cap & Trade
Demand a Balanced Budget
Enact Fundamental Tax Reform
Restore Fiscal Responsibility & Constitutionally Limited Government
End Runaway Government Spending
Defund, Repeal, & Replace Government-run Health Care
Pass an ‘All-of-the-Above” Energy Policy
Stop the Pork
Stop the Tax Hikes

Yeah, the teabaggers are going to have to do better than a bunch of vague, feel-good, stances that have absolutely no teeth if they want to establish a real platform. Of those statements, maybe four have any meaning (i.e. "stop cap and trade"). Eventually, the teabaggers are going to have to put something substantive forward so the American people can see if they really agree with their positions. Vague statements aren't going to cut it.

Yeah, the teabaggers are going to have to do better than a bunch of vague, feel-good, stances that have absolutely no teeth if they want to establish a real platform. Of those statements, maybe four have any meaning (i.e. "stop cap and trade"). Eventually, the teabaggers are going to have to put something substantive forward so the American people can see if they really agree with their positions. Vague statements aren't going to cut it.

It always works for Democrats. How's that hopey change workin' out for ya?

I wonder how many Communist Party members overlap the Democrat base? Probably an equal percentage.

Really? My dad passed away in 2001 at 76 years of age. He was a life long Democrat. He was also a WWII USMC vet and a Deacon in a Southern Baptist Church. Even at 76, if you'd attempted to call him a Communist, he would have knocked you into next week.

Really? My dad passed away in 2001 at 76 years of age. He was a life long Democrat. He was also a WWII USMC vet and a Deacon in a Southern Baptist Church. Even at 76, if you'd attempted to call him a Communist, he would have knocked you into next week.

Well, there's one. Anyone know of any others?

I personally can't wait until November. I think the teabaggers [sic] will get a couple of candidates in office. I think Rand Paul is a lock. However, I think they will screw up a lot more elections.

It will be a net flop. Why? Because the teabaggers [sic] were going to vote against the DEM candidate anyways. Meanwhile, the moderates are going to become increasingly turned off by the bizarre hard right mentality of the teabaggers [sic].

America self-identifies with conservatism 2-1 over liberalism (recent Gallup survey), so it's only natural that moderates would gravitate towards candidates who profess conservative ideas...

There are fringe elements in the tea party movement as well as there are fringe elements on the left... The left just has a better record of electing their fringe wakkos...

We have yet to see the influence of the tea party on congressional elections, but the MAIN message of the movement is lower taxes and less government... It's not the fringe messages that the left loves to paint the movement with...

The MAIN message would certainly resonate with a decidedly conservative-leaning America...

OMG, that a lot of Tea party members identify more with the Gop, than the Communist agenda of the Democrat party.

this HAS got to some EARTH SHATTERING shit man.:lol:

Last edited:

Forum List

Back